Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2018, 09:46 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,432,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
If you're out in 105, it's better to have loose long white linen pants and a breathable short sleeve shirt that's buttoned down in the chest a bit. Sandals are best and a wide brimmed cap.

I laugh when I go up north and I see bare chested yankees sweating in the sun. You've actually got to cover up a bit to stay cooler.

Now sleeping, that is best done in the nude!
how does covering up keep you cooler over shirtless?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 01:43 AM

769 posts, read 479,405 times
This is groundhog day at this point.

Old 01-23-2018, 04:45 AM

83,493 posts, read 75,195,514 times
From snowstorm to a Thunderstorm warning in northern North Carolina.

2:40-6:40am loop...

Thunderstorm warning at the NC/VA border with morning temps in the 60s. Didn't they just have a snowstorm last week?

Mesoscale discussion for Northern Maine for heavy snow rates

Surface Map

Old 01-23-2018, 04:45 AM

29,493 posts, read 19,594,184 times
https://twitter.com/NWSChicago/statu...48427161374720

Yes the cold is coming back for the eastern two thirds in February and it could rival the cold we had in late December early January (relative to average).

https://twitter.com/BenNollWeather/s...51598214361088

From t-storms/hail Monday to snowflakes Tuesday;

Old 01-23-2018, 05:18 AM

83,493 posts, read 75,195,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
As much as I enjoy this mild weather, I would prefer a zonal pattern to the jet stream. It causes less extreme anomalies for everyone.

Too boring for me, although I'll take that zonal in the Spring only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Here's some pics of today's storm. My back and front yard. Last I checked the porch got 10 inches of snow. Probably close to 11 by now.

Sweet! Love the second shot, shows the heavy snow falling well. I posted some updates in the Minnesota weather thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpvan View Post
This is groundhog day at this point.

lol. Hmm, not sure exactly what you're referring to though. Oh the Western Ridge? You should move to Eastern side to get the opposite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
I agree cambium! Think the mets are too excited after the record cold we had... the signs they keep touting are still forecasts and not reality... ill believe the cold when the indices achieve what they are forecast... mjo heading to phase 8, pna spike, ao dive, strat warming, all of it... not too mention nina climatology favors a warm february and march... rare to get a cold nina march... we will see! Then you have joe bastardi saying this cold will be colder than early jan which is not even possible! That was record cold, how on earth do you get colder than record cold? Something tells me this is just like february 2012 when jb was going on about 1985, and how a massive strat warming would lead to a cold feb for us... didnt happen.

Yeah, we'll see. I seriously doubt we'll see that Dec 25 - Jan 8 pattern again. Maybe a couple of shots but nothing consistent. Models starting to come into long range now for Feb.

So here is this mornings 5000' anomalies.. There's just no Arctic air around. (Still cold in Canada but nothing crazy for their standards).. This is why we aren't going to be below normal much next 7 days in Eastern U.S

And here is Feb 1st. One last warm surge for East but note the cold air is now around and that's what the Tellies are indicating and Mets are saying.

Question is... How far will the Jet dive or how cold will it really be.

Old 01-23-2018, 06:07 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,913,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Too boring for me, although I'll take that zonal in the Spring only.

Sweet! Love the second shot, shows the heavy snow falling well. I posted some updates in the Minnesota weather thread.

lol. Hmm, not sure exactly what you're referring to though. Oh the Western Ridge? You should move to Eastern side to get the opposite.

Yeah, we'll see. I seriously doubt we'll see that Dec 25 - Jan 8 pattern again. Maybe a couple of shots but nothing consistent. Models starting to come into long range now for Feb.

So here is this mornings 5000' anomalies.. There's just no Arctic air around. (Still cold in Canada but nothing crazy for their standards).. This is why we aren't going to be below normal much next 7 days in Eastern U.S

And here is Feb 1st. One last warm surge for East but note the cold air is now around and that's what the Tellies are indicating and Mets are saying.

Question is... How far will the Jet dive or how cold will it really be.

Agree 100%. Zonal flows are best in the shoulder seasons, definitely makes for pleasant falls and springs. Even summer is pretty good, but the up and down in winter sucks. Our snowpack is nearly gone now with the warmth and rain, down to half of my yard in patches and large plow piles again

Old 01-23-2018, 06:38 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,262,374 times
Finally got my thunderstorm last night in Indianapolis! It didn't last very long but we did get a few flashes of lightning, claps of thunder and even some hail and wind gust close to 50 mph. Then this morning it was spitting snow, though not sticking to the ground.

Old 01-23-2018, 06:42 AM

115 posts, read 256,172 times
9 inches yesterday in central WI. Schools canceled.

Schools open today.

Old 01-23-2018, 07:26 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,875,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
how does covering up keep you cooler over shirtless?
The sun beating on your skin makes your skin hotter than your internal temperature so the only way to cool that way is by sweating but you'll be getting sunburned at the same time.

By having a shirt, you basically have a protective sweat layer around your skin between your skin and the clothing. A breeze keeps going through the sweat layer and in hot dry climates is evaporated instantly. You basically have an air conditioned layer in between your clothes and skin using evaporative cooling.

Like I said, many on here do not understand even a basic fundamental of how to keep cool.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:21 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,445,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
If you're out in 105, it's better to have loose long white linen pants and a breathable short sleeve shirt that's buttoned down in the chest a bit. Sandals are best and a wide brimmed cap.

I laugh when I go up north and I see bare chested yankees sweating in the sun. You've actually got to cover up a bit to stay cooler.

Now sleeping, that is best done in the nude!
I would wear shorts, tennis shoes, a light t shirt maybe even sleeveless or cutoff and a baseball hat. If I am at home I may be sans shirt, obviously if I am swimming which is the only thing weather that hot is good for. I don't wear button up shirts unless it's like plaid shirts in fall. Just don't like the style.

Aside from protection from direct sunlight (which sunblock can mitigate) why would covering up keep me cooler? I swear a lot in the heat, shoot when shovelling snow last night I had to take off the hood and when I came back inside I took off all my sweaters.

I slept in the nude last night. I have already acclimated to the cold lol.

Btw southerners go shirtless in the summer too. As long as it's not a public place (aside from beach/pool areas) who cares? I hate shirts sticking to me. I guess I could wear breezier shirts but I am too skinny, they'd look too baggy on me lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather