Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 01:56 PM

65 posts, read 69,327 times

Advertisements

I am an American who has traveled a lot. I noticed when I went to Dubai that everyone wore long sleeves in 110 degree heat because it is their culture. This is almost unheard of in the US. Almost all Americans are in short sleeves at that weather. I also noticed that many Indian men wear button long sleeve shirts more than Americans do and are less into tees. Also the Icelandic people dress very eccentrically with robes and almost blanket like jackets? i don't know what they are called. My strangest experience was the year I did an over seas student exchange in Scotland when I was 20. I hated the clouds and how miserable and rude everyone was and also how short and dark the winter days were but I liked studying there and made new friends at the university I was studying at in Glasgow. The one thing I noticed that was weird was the day I went to Loch (lakes in Scottish) Lomond for the day. It was beautiful sunny day but cold only a high of like 55 F. We drove up there, I was wearing a jacket as were my friends. We got there and most people were with their families, although there were some other young adults like us. Most people were either in t shirt and jeans or even t shirt and shorts!! I mean its 55 degrees get a ****ing coat on! I was becoming alarmed at their behavior and thought maybe its 85 F and I have a fever or something. We even seen people swimming at the beach as if it was some hot day! I asked my friend why these people were doing this and he said Scottish don't get sunshine, as soon as they do they make the most of it even if it means pretending it is warm. Okay then. I even heard the guy who sold as food ask us are you not too warm with those big jackets on. I replied no its 55 degrees. Its cold outside. I'm surprised you scots aren't freezing your asses off! Yeah that was a weird day. I went into Glasgow the next day. Same weather. Most people in big coats like me. Maybe the Scots outside Glasgow are some type of sub species i don't know. In the US if its 75 degrees most people are still in long sleeves, most people dont break out the t shirts and shorts till the it hits 80 F +. If anyone reading this is either British, American or from some other country please tell me is this normal or just a weird experience I had and how do you dress for different weather?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 02:05 PM

658 posts, read 359,466 times
55 is considered warm in northern England and Scotland. Everyone gets used to the climate they grew up in. I live in (but am not from) the highest and coldest town in England, quite normal for people to have t shirts in these temps here (not me though). Also I see people with their windows wide open in mid winter (40's temps). That's the way it goes here.

Old 10-27-2017, 03:30 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,893,859 times
I grew up in Upstate NY and have lived in various states during my life.

I find 55F a bit chilly for shorts and t-shirt; that would be long sleeves and jeans weather and perhaps a light jacket if it was particularly windy or rainy out. I wouldn't need a coat or other layers. It's time for a coat when the temperature drops to below 40 F.

I generally get out the short sleeves when it hits around 70 F. 80 F brings out the sleeveless tops and shorts. When it starts getting around 85, that's when errands or otherwise leaving the house can wait until after dark unless it is an emergency or a necessity.

It's not unusual here to see people wearing a coat and shorts in the fall and even in the dead of winter It's pretty commonplace and I've become accustomed to it. When I first moved here, I found it strange the first time I saw a guy in a store with a winter coat on and...shorts. It was around 22 F that day and hammering down some lake effect snow. I've probably seen at least a couple hundred more similarly attired people since that guy.

Old 10-27-2017, 04:59 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,921,829 times
people in Seattle start to wear t-shirts when it's 65+ (if sunny), when it hits 80+ most people are complaining that it's too hot.

Old 10-27-2017, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northnomad View Post
55 is considered warm in northern England and Scotland. Everyone gets used to the climate they grew up in. I live in (but am not from) the highest and coldest town in England, quite normal for people to have t shirts in these temps here (not me though). Also I see people with their windows wide open in mid winter (40's temps). That's the way it goes here.

Yeah when I am in big cities like Glasgow and London people dress normal but the more rural I get the more ridiculous people seem to get. I guess you guys consider cold weather hot because your summers are so cool. When I lived in Scotland for 8 months in 2008-09 in September the highest temperature was only like 70 degrees back in New York a normal September day is warmer than that.

Old 10-27-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
I grew up in Upstate NY and have lived in various states during my life.

I find 55F a bit chilly for shorts and t-shirt; that would be long sleeves and jeans weather and perhaps a light jacket if it was particularly windy or rainy out. I wouldn't need a coat or other layers. It's time for a coat when the temperature drops to below 40 F.

I generally get out the short sleeves when it hits around 70 F. 80 F brings out the sleeveless tops and shorts. When it starts getting around 85, that's when errands or otherwise leaving the house can wait until after dark unless it is an emergency or a necessity.

It's not unusual here to see people wearing a coat and shorts in the fall and even in the dead of winter It's pretty commonplace and I've become accustomed to it. When I first moved here, I found it strange the first time I saw a guy in a store with a winter coat on and...shorts. It was around 22 F that day and hammering down some lake effect snow. I've probably seen at least a couple hundred more similarly attired people since that guy.

Yeah I'm not too far from you just in Valley Stream near Queens New York and I don't think I've seen a lot of people wear shorts in below 70. I have seen a few do it in below freezing but they were jogging so that is different I guess, and we Americans would never dream of wearing shorts and t shirt in cold weather, only shorts and jacket.

Old 10-27-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
people in Seattle start to wear t-shirts when it's 65+ (if sunny), when it hits 80+ most people are complaining that it's too hot.

Yeah 65 isn't that cold but you guys have cool summers so I guess you aren't really used to 80 degree weather like I am. I get 85 most days in summer, sometimes warmer.

Old 10-27-2017, 05:12 PM

13,480 posts, read 9,021,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossifier2017 View Post
Yeah when I am in big cities like Glasgow and London people dress normal but the more rural I get the more ridiculous people seem to get. I guess you guys consider cold weather hot because your summers are so cool. When I lived in Scotland for 8 months in 2008-09 in September the highest temperature was only like 70 degrees back in New York a normal September day is warmer than that.
I don't think anyone from the UK would consider cold weather hot, anything over 25C/77F is usually considered "hot"...

But Brits would probably consider temperatures in winter that you consider "mild" as cold...

Old 10-27-2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
I don't think anyone from the UK would consider cold weather hot, anything over 25C/77F is usually considered "hot"...

But Brits would probably consider temperatures in winter that you consider "mild" as cold...

When I lived in Scotland when it was 55 F and sunny people said it was way too hot and said oh you can really feel the heat today, what heat? you mean the heat of the sun? no in the air. Not all but some Brits consider cold weather hot. When it hits 70 and sunny there a lot of people actually believe the air is warm and it would take the sun going behind a cloud to convince them otherwise. As far as winter is concerned yes we have colder winters than the UK, even though we are much closer to the equator. Anything above 50 is mild in winter for me, probably the same in UK, although New York City isn't as cold as some other US cities in winter we are only about 5 degrees F colder than the UK

Old 10-27-2017, 05:25 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,355,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossifier2017 View Post
Yeah I'm not too far from you just in Valley Stream near Queens New York and I don't think I've seen a lot of people wear shorts in below 70. I have seen a few do it in below freezing but they were jogging so that is different I guess, and we Americans would never dream of wearing shorts and t shirt in cold weather, only shorts and jacket.
Sure they would. In Chicago you have two camps of people - those (usually guys) who wear shorts that are actually man-pris almost all year round unless it's a blizzard. Then other folks who start putting their parkas on in September and probably were wearing long sleeves most of the summer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather