Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like a Morning Low OR Day Drop better?
I like temps to be their coolest in the morning 44 78.57%
I like it when temps drop throughout the day 12 21.43%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 10:22 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,443,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Here we go again with another day drop. Warm front this afternoon, then a cold front tonight.
ugh warmest temperature in the middle of the night is a waste of warmth. Ditto with 7 am and dropping rapidly. So day drop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 10:23 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
This happened here a few days ago, but it happens very rarely.

https://twitter.com/NWSSeattle/statu...64175017017344
didn't expect western Washington would get that. Strong cold front? something else going on? Cold air descending from mountains? Post maps about interesting weather events!

Old 11-30-2017, 11:06 AM

83,498 posts, read 75,223,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
didn't expect western Washington would get that. Strong cold front? something else going on? Cold air descending from mountains? Post maps about interesting weather events!
I was skimming through the discussions and didn't see much mentioned other than that heights were falling during the day.. (trough was moving in)

Here's from 3:28pm that Sunday when it happened..

Quote:
National Weather Service Seattle WA
328 PM PST Sun Nov 26 2017

.SYNOPSIS...
An active weather pattern in the short term with a series of low
pressure systems lifting into southwest British Columbia. Periods
of rain and winds will occur with these systems through the
early-mid portion of the coming week.

Showers continue across the area this afternoon. KLGX depicts a
new batch of showers presently moving onshore into southwest
washington. Winds have diminished across the area at this time as
have concerns for any wind related impacts this evening.500 mb
heights are beginning to fall across the area in the wake of the
departing system, bringing cooler air in as well as falling snow
levels. Cascade passes beginning to cool, and lingering showers
will turn to snow there over the next few hours. One change for
this evening was to include a mention of thunder in the Pacific
waters and adjacent coastal areas. With an approaching shortwave
trough, a plume of steep mid level lapse rates will overspread
that area this evening. This should provide enough instability for
an isolated rumble of thunder. Currently there have been a few
strikes well offshore this afternoon. Otherwise, showers will
diminish in coverage overnight and temps will range from the upper
30s to mid 40s in the lowlands.

TT site is so nice you can go back many days. Take a look.

Saturday afternoon Heights were 558-561 over there with the entire ridge shifting East..

By Sunday evening Heights dropped to 537-543 so the cold airmass was moving in during the day.

Curious why that wouldn't happen often. A trough moving in doesn't seem like it would be hard to get. Ohh, maybe because it was cloudy the night before and kept the warmth at the surface as opposed to other times Heights lowered during the day it was clear the night before so wasn't as warm to start?

Old 11-30-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
I was skimming through the discussions and didn't see much mentioned other than that heights were falling during the day.. (trough was moving in)

Here's from 3:28pm that Sunday when it happened..

TT site is so nice you can go back many days. Take a look.

Saturday afternoon Heights were 558-561 over there with the entire ridge shifting East..

By Sunday evening Heights dropped to 537-543 so the cold airmass was moving in during the day.

Curious why that wouldn't happen often. A trough moving in doesn't seem like it would be hard to get. Ohh, maybe because it was cloudy the night before and kept the warmth at the surface as opposed to other times Heights lowered during the day it was clear the night before so wasn't as warm to start?
Thanks for the explanation. Didn't think it would happen often since their weather is rather stable; weather comes off the ocean so big temperature swings should be hard. That west coast ridge was large and it moved out fast.

Old 11-30-2017, 01:23 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,119,144 times
Big temperature swings in such short periods happen almost never (once or twice a year). Weather is very monotonous especially in winter. I am no expert at all, it's just my observations. Summers can have more temperature swings. For example, the last hottest day during a heat wave (90F+) is almost always followed by a very cool morning the next day (62-64F) due to marine layer.

Old 11-30-2017, 02:32 PM

1,218 posts, read 685,695 times
Only really happens in Autumn and Winter in UK. I don’t really like it, especially when I have to stuff a coat into my bag because it’s too mild to wear in the morning and yet it is chilly in the afternoon!

Old 11-30-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Didn't think it would happen often since their weather is rather stable; fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
. Summers can have more temperature swings..
Hmm, I thought we were talking about the dropping temp in the day, not the swings or stableness.

An area can have stable weather/climate but can still get a warm low in the morning. No? Even a small drop like 60F in the morning then drop to 53F throughout the day and have the low of the day be in the evening.

Just need the right set up and timing like just happened I guess.

How about Clouds at night with a warm airmass, Clouds in day with cool airmass moving in and rain. Does that not happen there? Temps would drop in the daytime.

Old 11-30-2017, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Hmm, I thought we were talking about the dropping temp in the day, not the swings or stableness.

An area can have stable weather/climate but can still get a warm low in the morning. No? Even a small drop like 60F in the morning then drop to 53F throughout the day and have the low of the day be in the evening.

Just need the right set up and timing like just happened I guess.

How about Clouds at night with a warm airmass, Clouds in day with cool airmass moving in and rain. Does that not happen there? Temps would drop in the daytime.
Hmm, Botev would ask better. I know northern Europe in winter sometimes has the daily high in the morning; sun is weak from being so far plus diurnal range is low.

I thought the temperature dropping during the day required strong cold fronts so a swingy climate but I must be wrong about tha.

Old 12-01-2017, 05:50 PM

Another one.. this time could be impressive even in Mid Atlantic states

https://twitter.com/wxbrad/status/936755645730250752

Old 12-03-2017, 08:51 AM

2 still images then a GIF loop.. Looks like a lot of areas will see dropping temps in the day on Tuesday for Ohio Valley and Wednesday for Northeast..

On left is the projected temps Tuesday 4amEST as the strong cold front is coming Eastbound. Note the temps in Indiana, Kentucky, TN, Arkansas in the 40s and 50s...

Right image are the projected temps at 4pm Tuesday. Looks like all those areas are going to have a max temp come early in the morning and the daytime will see dropping temps into the 30s & 40s

Here's the animation from now till Wednesday.

Many areas go from 50s to 20s within 24hrs

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather