Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Could you live in a climate like Dallas?
Yes 48 50.00%
No 48 50.00%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 06:20 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
I live just north of Dallas and absolutely LOVE the weather here. Yes July and August can be hot but, even on the hottest days I usually have a breeze in my yard. And now that it is December and I’m sitting by my pool in shorts, a tee shirt and barefoot, I’m in heaven.
Sun angle makes it an F regardless in my opinion. Most of the US is much too far south in latitude, unfortunately. We only have milder oceanic climates in the Pacific Northwest, nothing similar to western Europe with milder overall temperatures and lower sunlight hours. Then again, I prefer climates that most Americans would despise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2017, 11:01 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,746,551 times
I live here now so yes. It was 78F today. Totally awesome. A few years ago on this day it was snowing. That's what makes it bearable. We aren't tied to anyone temp for months on end. Even the summers have cold snaps that cool it off. Plus A/C is everywhere so it's not like you're baking day in and day out.

Old 12-02-2017, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
8 months of summer.

The average LOW in summer is higher than the average HIGH in my current location.

December, January, and February look comfortable I guess.

Nope, don't think that I could live in Dallas. Summer shouldn't last most of the year; it should be 3 months long.
We have 4 seasons just not that boring 3 months of this. 3 months of that. We've had cold snaps this "fall" in the 40s and then back up to 70s. We'll move into winter and possibly get snow. Then back to the 50s/60s. Way more interesting. And no one wants to kill themselves after 4 months of gray and cold.

Old 12-02-2017, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonj417 View Post
It's not fun spending all day indoors, especially when the sun is shining, just so you can stay cool. It's much more pleasant in a climate that has long, sunny days but highs around 21°C (70°F). I cannot stand the heat, in the UK this year we had 32°C (90°F) in June which is absolutely ridiculous, going to need AC soon. In fact I'd rather have it than heating.

The worst climates are those of Singapore and Hong Kong. In Hong Kong in June it is hot, wet and dull and you'd just be inside all day. What a horrible place to live.
That has described Dallas from Sept to now. With a few warmer and a few colder exceptions. It was 78 And gorgeous today as it has been all week.

Old 12-02-2017, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Yes sure no problem. I would find the wild winter temperature swings annoying though.
Why?

Old 12-02-2017, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Nope. Not interested. I lived in SC ONCE. I'd never live south of Virginia ever again. I physically cannot take the heat and humidity. I'm perfectly happy with 4 actual seasons. Give me snow! It doesn't bother me. I'd rather have 10 feet of snow over a few months than 100+ degree temps ever again. I thought I was going to die when I was in Salt Lake City this summer and it was over 100 degrees.
A friends FB memory from today was the snow in her backyard on this date 3 years ago. The day I bought tickets for the final George Strait concert it snowed. Fortunately it melts after a few days and there's none of those nasty gray mounds.

Old 12-03-2017, 03:22 AM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 1 day ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,037 times
Mostly, it depends on what you a large amount of time in, especially growing up in.

I grew up in north Louisiana and never resided further north than Memphis. It's simply what I'm used to. Dallas's summers, thought hotter thermometer-wise, still lack the humidity of points further east though. You can reframe it in the opposite direction: "Could You Live in a Climate Like Minneapolis?". Plenty of Minnesotans would say they not only could, but actually enjoy it. Upper Midwesterners really know how to take advantages of severe winters (not surprisingly). I myself could not take Minnesota winters, but that's personal tastes. Dallas summers are simply the flip side of Minneapolis winters in this regard.

Old 12-03-2017, 07:18 AM

6,695 posts, read 9,946,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
I live here now so yes. It was 78F today. Totally awesome. A few years ago on this day it was snowing. That's what makes it bearable. We aren't tied to anyone temp for months on end. Even the summers have cold snaps that cool it off. Plus A/C is everywhere so it's not like you're baking day in and day out.
Yeah, we’ve been seeing an abnormally warm and dry fall. This fall is one of the hottest on record.

Old 12-03-2017, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Yeah, we’ve been seeing an abnormally warm and dry fall. This fall is one of the hottest on record.
About 8 years ago our HOA had caroling for the kids. It was mid-December. 95F and Santa was sweating up a storm. Flash forward to the egg hunt in early April and it was snowing. I actually love our crazy weather.

Old 12-03-2017, 09:54 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
Why?
Because I like stable weather and I especially prefer winter temperatures that don't deviate much from the mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather