Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 07:33 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Yup, exactly. Because of this little trough coming through, it's forcing the air to lift up.

Unlike convective precip falling from thunderstorms with heavy precip, dynamic precip actually falls from a deck of stratus clouds and lasts longer but not as heavy.

Convective precip needs instability around (like higher dewpoints), but Dynamic precip doesn't. All dynamic precip needs is moisture and air lifting
convective precipitation can be triggered with high lapse rates. Looks like your source on dynamic precipitation was this?

DYNAMIC PRECIP vs. CONVECTIVE PRECIP

Quote:
One way to see it is using the 700mb Vertical Velocity maps. Positive colors = strong lifting. (color legend sucks with this source)

Unisys Weather - NAM - US - 700mb - 24hr

Here's tomorrow morning. The strongest may stay south of Colorado but add some Topography into the mix and you get some extra lift.

You can also use the 500mb level (18,000') and see where the strongest Vort maxes are. Here's tomorrow morning. Little trough looks like its getting cut off from the actual Jet Stream

You will see me use these maps a lot especially in winter

I will add.. the "dynamic" I was also referring to comes from Huge storms with lots of dynamics with it. Bit different meaning and not related here but just love that type of talk.
I suppose it's called dynamic because it involves airmasses moving. Nice vorticity maps to show the storm [I can't rep you]; I assume topography has a big effect here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 07:49 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,601,342 times
I'm a little south of Denver in Colorado Springs. I can vouch for wild temperature swings and crazy weather. A few years ago, Denver recorded a 100*F temperature change in 24 hours. Colorado Springs was close with 80*F change.

Old 11-27-2017, 07:57 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonj417 View Post
OK, so I just thought I'd check the forecast for Denver because I know its quite snowy in winter there, I was confronted with an almost unbelievable forecast. I know this is one location today, but its just so crazy I had to make a post about it. It's currently 26°C (78°F) in Denver, CO, and tonight its expected to snow http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/den...orecast/347810

I just absolutely cannot believe how it is possible. It's like a hot summer's day where I live in England being followed by a snowy night and snow is rare even in Winter where I live. The record for Denver in November is 27°C (80°F) which could be beaten today. Then tomorrow its expected to be just 7°C (45°F)!
Intellicast - Denver Weather Report in Colorado (80247)

I have a couple of forecasts just to prove its not a mistake, both say it is hot now and that it will snow tonight. Is there anyone living in Denver who can comment on this? Does it happen often and how weird is it?

I'd also like to know if there are any other instances of extreme weather swings elsewhere in the world, and how common they are?
It's called "anafrontal snow" and it's not particularly rare. The "old" warm air overrides the incoming cold air, providing the cold air isn't moving in too fast, producing the snow. Happens in New York all the time.

Old 11-27-2017, 08:47 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
It's called "anafrontal snow" and it's not particularly rare. The "old" warm air overrides the incoming cold air, providing the cold air isn't moving in too fast, producing the snow. Happens in New York all the time.
That huge temperature drop doesn't happen in New York

Old 11-27-2017, 10:45 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
That huge temperature drop doesn't happen in New York
Not quite that big but we dropped from the 50's to 4 in January 2014.

Old 11-28-2017, 12:22 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
I live here & grew up here (Colorado Springs) & yes this happens. I’m kind of bummed; was sort of liking wearing shorts & flip-flops in November deal!

I personally? Blame it on the wildly fluctuating elevations.

For example: my city’s elevation varies from 5,300 ft to 7,800ft & can do so within just a few blocks. From where my house is (5,900ft); one half mile to the south, the elevation is 5,400ft

Three quarters of a mile to the north it is 6,800ft. To the west, it drops from my 5,900ft to 5,600ft within 2 miles & then within less than half a mile you are at 6,400 ft. Then 7,000 ft ... Then almost 8,000ft & all within less than 3 miles. To the east is the high plains ... it rises to over 7,000 ft & stays that way until you near the Kansas border. Which when you cross? You will barely be over 4,000 ft!

The Pikes Peak Cog Railway, due west a few miles from me, will go from 7,000 ft to 14,000ft + in less than 9 miles.

I get a kick out of the weather stations on Wunderground because there are two stations, a few blocks from each other (zip code 80917) whose wind speed/directionmeters are always spinning in opposition to each other. It can be calm everywhere else ... but these two stations are stuck spinning away ...

Old 11-28-2017, 12:59 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Weather discussions are real! And history lessons too. Anyone have other dates back in time when Denver went from 75-80F to snow with 24hrs? Or even vice versa Snow to 70s.

I know its always been happening but curious on what the dates are. I know off top of my head March 2016, Oct 2011 but would like to see more.
June 9-10, 1975.

Old 11-28-2017, 02:53 AM

1,218 posts, read 686,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
LOL! You're joking, right? Colorado is famous for its variable, and sometimes extremes in weather. Well before man's industrialization also.
Climate denier. Even, so that difference is far too extreme to be natural. It wouldn't snow the night after being 27°C.

Old 11-28-2017, 02:55 AM

1,218 posts, read 686,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Yes, this happens in Denver. Not all the time of course, but it's not uncommon to have 60s or even 70s one day and snow the next. It won't stick of course, but there should be a dusting on the grass in the morning before it melts off.

As someone here on CD once put it, the weather in Denver is determined by a random number generator. It's really the best description I've ever seen because the swings really seem that random.
How about 81, a record high followed by snow the next day?

Old 11-28-2017, 05:00 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Wish I had more time but it just takes a little homework and history lessons.

November 15, 1942 hit 78° (record high) then snow fell within 24hrs and a snowstorm 4 days later.

November 25, 1990 hit 77° (record high) then a snowstorm 24hrs later with 3.6" accumulating at the airport.

March 30, 1971 hit 78° (near record high) 24hrs later was below freezing and snowed.

November 19, 1989 hit 79° (record high). Snowed 2 days later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather