Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which climate is best?
Sunny Selsey 15 26.32%
Cloudy Kinlochewe 42 73.68%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 09:36 AM

1,218 posts, read 685,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
If there were actually any averages for Selsey then we may be able to properly vote, but since Selsey does not even have a Met Office weather station who knows...
Well that's the only reason Kinlochewe is winning. I can't see any other reason why it would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2017, 09:43 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonj417 View Post
Finally an admission that there are significant differences in rain and sun between UK climates
Rainfall variation doesn't always make a climate feel fundamentally different - neighbouring towns to where I am, have up to 2500mm more rain annually than my location, but I wouldn't say that they feel like a different climate because of that.

Rain days and sunshine will make a difference, but because Kinlochewe is only 1.6C colder for average maximums throughout the year, it doesn't seem like Kinlochewe and Selsey would feel hugely different.

Old 12-29-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Rainfall variation doesn't always make a climate feel fundamentally different - neighbouring towns to where I am, have up to 2500mm more rain annually than my location, but I wouldn't say that they feel like a different climate because of that.

Rain days and sunshine will make a difference, but because Kinlochewe is only 1.6C colder for average maximums throughout the year, it doesn't seem like Kinlochewe and Selsey would feel hugely different.
It would be alot different, because the rain would get out of the way quickly in Selsey and it would have far less rain days above 10 mm than Kinlochewe. I think you should spend a year in both places, come back after that and you will tell me that Selsey was a lot sunnier/drier.

Old 12-29-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
It would be alot different, because the rain would get out of the way quickly in Selsey and it would have far less rain days above 10 mm than Kinlochewe. I think you should spend a year in both places, come back after that and you will tell me that Selsey was a lot sunnier/drier.
I don't have to go to kinlochewe to know that's it's going to be cloudier and wetter. But because the temperatures aren't that different, it would just feel like a wetter, cloudier version of a similar climate -I've lived in places in NZ, with a bigger difference to my own climate, than Kinlochewe and Selsey have - a difference for sure, but only relatively small differences imo.

Old 12-29-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
I don't have to go to kinlochewe to know that's it's going to be cloudier and wetter. But because the temperatures aren't that different, it would just feel like a wetter, cloudier version of a similar climate -I've lived in places in NZ, with a bigger difference to my own climate, than Kinlochewe and Selsey have - a difference for sure, but only relatively small differences imo.
Yes but it's not just a little bit cloudier and wetter, its MUCH wetter and cloudier. There might not be much temperature difference - you could say that comparing London to Teide Observatory but Teide has a completely different climate because it is much sunnier and drier, despite similar temperatures.

The difference between Kinlochewe and Selsey in sunshine is almost the same as between uninhabited Campbell Island and Auckland, so not sure how you did that.

Old 12-29-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Yes but it's not just a little bit cloudier and wetter, its MUCH wetter and cloudier. There might not be much temperature difference - you could say that comparing London to Teide Observatory but Teide has a completely different climate because it is much sunnier and drier, despite similar temperatures.

The difference between Kinlochewe and Selsey in sunshine is almost the same as between uninhabited Campbell Island and Auckland, so not sure how you did that.
My climate is about 800-900 hours sunnier than Invercargill, and I'm guessing the actual difference between Kinlochewe and Selsey, would be in the 800+ hour range. The average maximum over the year between my location and Invercargill, is greater though, at about about 4.3C, compared to Kinlochewe and Selsey at 1.6C.

I've lived in places with much higher rainfall than my climate (up to 4000mm), and found that the climate just didn't seem that different -when it's raining, it felt much the same, and when it was sunny, it felt much the same, the temperature difference was relatively minor, about the difference, between Kinlochewe and Selsy.

I don't use Campbell Island or Raoul Island etc in discussions about the NZ climate -they're really too far away to be relevant.

Old 12-29-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
My climate is about 800-900 hours sunnier than Invercargill, and I'm guessing the actual difference between Kinlochewe and Selsey, would be in the 800+ hour range. The average maximum over the year between my location and Invercargill, is greater though, at about about 4.3C, compared to Kinlochewe and Selsey at 1.6C.

I've lived in places with much higher rainfall than my climate (up to 4000mm), and found that the climate just didn't seem that different -when it's raining, it felt much the same, and when it was sunny, it felt much the same, the temperature difference was relatively minor, about the difference, between Kinlochewe and Selsy.

I don't use Campbell Island or Raoul Island etc in discussions about the NZ climate -they're really too far away to be relevant.
You don't use Campbell Island to make NZ seem sunnier than it actually is - Campbell Island has UK winters year round at that same latitude as the UK.

You're also saying that rainfall is irrelevant and that it seems the same no matter the amount - not true. I've been having copious amounts of rain at the moment and its very noticeable.

Difference between Kinlochewe and Selsey sunshine is 1099.9 hours and Invercargill and Motueka is 702.8 hours.

Difference between Invercargill and Motueka average highs is 3°C according to Wikipedia. Despite being further from the equator, much of England has higher average highs than Invercargill. The difference between London and Motueka is 2°C.

Last edited by wilkinsonj417; 12-29-2017 at 03:17 PM..

Old 12-29-2017, 03:30 PM

269 posts, read 199,498 times
Quote:
You don't use Campbell Island to make NZ seem sunnier than it actually is - Campbell Island has UK winters year round at that same latitude as the UK.

You're also saying that rainfall is irrelevant and that it seems the same no matter the amount - not true. I've been having copious amounts of rain at the moment and its very noticeable.

Difference between Kinlochewe and Selsey sunshine is 1099.9 hours and Invercargill and Motueka is 702.8 hours.

Difference between Invercargill and Motueka average highs is 3°C according to Wikipedia. Despite being further from the equator, much of England has higher average highs than Invercargill. The difference between London and Motueka is 2°C.
No, it's really not just used becasue of how irrelevant and far away it is from the actual mainland of the country, where everyone actually lives. No one lives there or on Raoul Island and it's not like anyone's gonna go around calling NZ tropical simply because of Raoul Island much like anyone wouldn't base the countries climate off Campbell Islands 650 annual sun hours.

Old 12-29-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longaotian View Post
No, it's really not just used becasue of how irrelevant and far away it is from the actual mainland of the country, where everyone actually lives. No one lives there or on Raoul Island and it's not like anyone's gonna go around calling NZ tropical simply because of Raoul Island much like anyone wouldn't base the countries climate off Campbell Islands 650 annual sun hours.
Campbell Island is the same latitude as England, therefore we should use that as a comparison, not where people live. Raoul Island is hardly tropical, it has the same climate type as New York City, humid subtropical.

Let's compare Coleshill, England with Campbell Island as Coleshill is further from the equator than Campbell Island.

Coleshill:
Average high: 13.8°C
Average low: 6.1°C
Annual sun: 1445.3 hours
Annual rain: 712.4 mm
Annual rain days: 129.3

Campbell Island (closer to equator):
Average high: 9.4°C
Average low: 4.8°C
Annual sun: 647.3 hours
Annual rain: 1329 mm
Annual rain days: 290

The average minimum in Coleshill in summer is almost as high as the average summer high at Campbell Island. Despite being closer to the equator, Campbell Island's record high temperature is lower than the average July and August high in Coleshill. Campbell Island has less than half the sunshine and more than twice the rainy days despite being closer to the equator. LOL.

Just wait till I get told that I can't compare the two

Old 12-29-2017, 05:16 PM

11 posts, read 8,516 times
Aye, Campbell Island is much colder than the UK relative to their latitudes, that I can definately agree on. If you want even colder climates relative to their latitudes, just look at Bouvet Island (54° S), South Georgia (54° S), Heard Island (53° S), Port-Aux-Français (49° S), and Crozet Islands (46° S).

The British Isles are absurdly warm and pathetic for their polar 50° + parallels, Ireland especially!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather