Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2018, 01:23 PM

4 posts, read 5,001 times

Advertisements

How does the humidity in Sioux Falls stack up to somewhere like Omaha, Kansas City, or Nashville? I want somewhere kind of dry, but not Arizona dry. I also don't want Florida humidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 11:23 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
I live in the Twin Cities which is further north than Sioux Falls and I would assume slightly less humid. I don't find it that humid here. It can be sometimes in the summer and early fall but being used to the South, its nothing. Sioux Falls is a similar climate so I don't think it'd be too bad. If you want somewhere dryer then Rapid City is more your alley.

Old 01-03-2018, 11:33 PM

650 posts, read 450,143 times
In the summer Sioux Falls hovers at about 48-49 percent relative humidity during their high temps. I live near Houston, which hovers at 54-55 during their high temps in the summer.

https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...ta-weather.php

Not sure how accurate the site is, but if it isn't then feel free to correct me.

Old 01-03-2018, 11:46 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,208,266 times
Relative humidity does not really tell you anything. Pay attention to the dewpoint. It remains pretty constant around the clock. When the dewpoint is below 70, it will feel nice regardless of the temperature, and if it is over 75, it begins to approach insufferable. Dewpoint is tied to the overnight low -- it can never be higher than the temperature. So if it drops into the 60s at night, you can count on fairly comfortable "feels likes" the next day.

Old 01-04-2018, 05:31 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Relative humidity does not really tell you anything. Pay attention to the dewpoint. It remains pretty constant around the clock. When the dewpoint is below 70, it will feel nice regardless of the temperature, and if it is over 75, it begins to approach insufferable. Dewpoint is tied to the overnight low -- it can never be higher than the temperature. So if it drops into the 60s at night, you can count on fairly comfortable "feels likes" the next day.
Dewpoint is the key - yes. But many people will start to feel sticky at far lower dewpoints than 70 (unless they grew up in the tropics) - even 60 degree dewpoints will be noticeable.

Old 01-04-2018, 05:55 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,214,588 times
I agree with all of the other posters on this thread; the dew point is a better indication of how comfortable or uncomfortable the weather is outside, I would say that Sioux Falls probably has similar humidity levels to other parts of the region, to be honest, since Sioux Falls is near the edge of the Great Plains, that the humidity levels are likely comparatively lower than it is in areas to the south and east
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather