Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How would you rate The Climate of Minneapolis?
A 6 13.64%
B 9 20.45%
C 2 4.55%
D 17 38.64%
E 1 2.27%
F 9 20.45%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 12:36 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I wouldn't HATE living in a place like Portland or Vancouver but I wouldn't prefer it. Winters are too wet and dull. I like to do stuff in the winter and that stuff includes activities from sledding, ice skating, skiing and just plain old walking in the snow. The Pacific Northwest is beautiful but their winters don't offer much for snow activities unless you are in the mountains. When I was in Oregon we couldn't even go to the mountains cuz they require chains and my in-laws didn't own snow chains at the time.

BTW I would absolutely LOVE to skate the Rideau in Ottawa! The closest thing here to that is Centennial Lakes in Edina which is also beautiful but much smaller. I love ice skating too much to not live in a cold climate haha.
I skated on the Rideau a couple of times and it was a nice novelty but after the first couple of times I stopped going because I was always too cold outside. No matter how many layers I put on, I was still cold and very uncomfortable. It didn't matter so I spent as little time as possible outside in winter. I generally dislike any snow or cold because my body doesn't handle it well. If I could, I would be living in Miami right now instead of Vancouver. Winters here while being nowhere near my ideal, are much more manageable for me from a temperature point of view than Ottawa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 02:15 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I skated on the Rideau a couple of times and it was a nice novelty but after the first couple of times I stopped going because I was always too cold outside. No matter how many layers I put on, I was still cold and very uncomfortable. It didn't matter so I spent as little time as possible outside in winter. I generally dislike any snow or cold because my body doesn't handle it well. If I could, I would be living in Miami right now instead of Vancouver. Winters here while being nowhere near my ideal, are much more manageable for me from a temperature point of view than Ottawa.
See, I sweated a lot when I went ice skating the last sunday and it was 28 out. When I went ice skating on Christmas it was 0 and I was perfect, not cold or hot. I think 0-20 is my ideal winter activity weather, for not being too cold or hot.

Old 01-12-2018, 05:00 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,924,464 times
Quote:
See, I sweated a lot when I went ice skating the last sunday and it was 28 out. When I went ice skating on Christmas it was 0 and I was perfect, not cold or hot. I think 0-20 is my ideal winter activity weather, for not being too cold or hot.
I'm the same way. Even moderate exercise makes my preferred temperature drop by about 20-30 degrees F. That however is why I dislike extreme cold (below zero F). Yes you can dress for it, but it is very impractical to grapple with so many layers (and I hate wearing clothes in general), and it is a nightmare to take everything off if you're heading to work or grocery shopping or any other indoor environment that isn't your own home. How do you wear layers on your legs and not be hot indoors? It's just not possible.

Old 01-12-2018, 05:28 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,120,375 times
Quote:
I wouldn't HATE living in a place like Portland or Vancouver but I wouldn't prefer it. Winters are too wet and dull. I like to do stuff in the winter and that stuff includes activities from sledding, ice skating, skiing and just plain old walking in the snow. The Pacific Northwest is beautiful but their winters don't offer much for snow activities unless you are in the mountains. When I was in Oregon we couldn't even go to the mountains cuz they require chains and my in-laws didn't own snow chains at the time.

BTW I would absolutely LOVE to skate the Rideau in Ottawa! The closest thing here to that is Centennial Lakes in Edina which is also beautiful but much smaller. I love ice skating too much to not live in a cold climate haha.
Mountains require chains only when snowing while driving and all wheel drive vehicles are exempt. Otherwise they clear the roads and chains are not required on any vehicles. Also, you will never see so much snow in Minneapolis as the mountains in the PNW. There is tons of snow in the winter.

Old 01-12-2018, 07:11 AM

7,503 posts, read 6,285,226 times
B for me, as the winters are a bit too much and too long. If February was their January and November was their december it would be perfect.

Summers are perfect, a bit cooler and more pleasant than here with more rainfall.

Old 01-12-2018, 07:57 AM

2,850 posts, read 1,969,179 times
This thread has been done twice before. Anyway, I rate it a B- for being a little too cold and dry, but overall a decent four-season climate.

Old 01-12-2018, 08:32 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,120,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
Summers are perfect, a bit cooler and more pleasant than here with more rainfall.
Summers in Minneapolis are hot and humid.

Old 01-12-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Summers in Minneapolis are hot and humid.
Like I said, compared to here they look nice.

Old 01-12-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Some winter activities indeed make you sweat. I can't iceskate for the life of me, but I went skiing in the Alps a couple of weeks ago and temps around -6c were pleasant when bundled up and skiing.

I think when the temps are starting to dip below -15c and it's windy it starts getting real cold.

Also I think layering is important, but the type of layer is also crucial. It's useless to put on 5 cotton hoodies on top of each other, instead using wool / pile or even down (when very cold) can change everything.

Old 01-12-2018, 11:47 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
F cuz i hate winter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather