Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 06:49 PM

305 posts, read 1,808,114 times

Advertisements

We are seeing his pulmonologist on April 10th and we'll know better then how hot or cold or humid or whatever is best for him.

His cardiologist told us that the Southern Piedmont region would be best for him.

Not even entering into this conversation is price of housing ... whole different topic. But, even if we find the perfect climate, being able to afford to live there is the next step.

I'll get back to posting more about the climate as soon as we talk to the pulmonologist.

In the meantime, I'm watching daily climate readings on Weather Underground.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 03:20 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,759,299 times
Look at the weather between Morganton and Lenoir.

Old 04-08-2008, 05:41 PM

305 posts, read 1,808,114 times
Lenoir is already on my short list. I'm charting the weather daily.

Are there good medical facilities there?

Shopping? (grocery - not much of a mall person)

Thanks.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:35 PM

1 posts, read 5,209 times
Smile emphysema climate challenges

I too have been looking for the best cross section between snow/winter month reduction, yesterday it was 44 here in PA and rainy, and high heat/humidity which will keep me in a wheel chair inside. I've been checking housing between the Pinehurst area, including Scotland county which is south of Pinehurst and over to Raleigh Durham. My key is also Duke University Hospital which is the 10th ranked hospital nationally for lung problems. Pinehurst's Moore hospital has a pulmonary rehab program and a pulmonologist from Duke. Housing prices are higher in Durham, and I'm not impressed with the air quality there as well. Since humidity makes drawing each breath a matter of physical work, I'm keenly aware of what your husband is dealing with. It's true that if something lasts a few days, or a couple of weeks we can handle it, but it's another matter when it turns to months. I'd be most interested in your findings as well. We can share what we know on housing costs and healthcare costs ie Medigap coverage in NC, which I am researching heavily right now. I'll be checking Raleigh real estate tonight. Let me know what you're looking for, obviously something one floor but do you want a condo arrangement or ahouse. I'm NOT a realtor, I'm a sick lady with the same problem you've got, except the winter here gave me 3 cases of bronchitis, which is way too much too handle. i'll be happy to help weather research too if I can..

Old 04-09-2008, 10:44 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,434,568 times
HI Goodair and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear about being stuck inside in a wheelchair. It's often hard for people who have no physical limitations to understand a what toll weather can have on people. Cold weather really irritates my fibromyalgia and osteoarthritis. Not to worry though~I move constantly just in order to not set tight.

How does Franklin, NC fit into all of this? We've only been to NC one time and it was very short so I don't know anything about the regions. What region is that considered to be and is it a good one for health problems?

Old 04-09-2008, 07:39 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,798,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
What region is that considered to be and is it a good one for health problems?
Depends which health problems.
For mine, the region that closest resembles Jamaica, so that'd be the extreme southeast.

According to the state tourbook, NC has three mountain regions, three piedmont regions and three coastal regions.

However for myself, I'd classify them this way:

The Northern Mountains (or areas exposed to more northerly winds) and the Southern Mountains to which I'd include the thermal belts. The southern mountains tend to average A LOT more rainfall than the northern mountains while the northern mountains average more snow. The northern mountains have a lot more severe winter cold and the shortest growing seasons yet drier weather too. Southern mountains are milder and certain areas possibly muggier, however probably not as muggy as the piedmont.

Northern Piedmont/Foothills: Coldest non-mountain climate. Probably (relative to NC) cool and dry most of the year. Slightly cooler in summer and a little bit drier than other non-mountain climates. Snow is maybe twice as common as in the southern piedmont.

Southern Piedmont: Milder than northern piedmont, nearly as mild as northern coastal plains yet drier than them, so it would not feel as cold at the same temp, say 48 F in January. Snow happens most years but does not usually amount to much. (so I've been told)

Sandhills: A little drier than any piedmont climate with greater daily temperature changes due to the sandy soil (some areas the soil's exposed) heating up more rapidly in the sun.

Northern Coastal Plains: Similar to the piedmont, less extreme cold yet more damp-cold in winter, more year-round humidity/mugginess, snowfall similar to southern piedmont, more wind the closer you get to the coast, . (piedmont air is usually pretty calm to still)

Southern Coastal Plains: "Almost Florida-like" winters with lowest monthly average highs 55-59 F, palm trees in some gardens, Spanish moss in the wild and in gardens. Mildest winters, earliest springs, longest summers, latest falls, latest winters; snow won't happen most years... perhaps once in a decade if you're on the coast. Summers aren't much different for heat or humidity than nothern coastal plains, though probably slightly muggier.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:12 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,216,536 times
If you like warmer winters overall- head to the southeastern part of the state... if you like colder winters, head to the high western mountains.

Personally I would choose Wilmington, despite the fact that I actually live 52 miles northwest of Boone NC. I am on the west side of the mountains though in northeast Tennessee in the Tri-Cities metro and its much milder here than Boone - which is understandable considering that Boone is 3300 ft. and we are 1500 ft. Its beautiful over there though in the mountains, but the seashore is nice too!

Old 11-02-2008, 01:05 PM

20 posts, read 83,977 times
I am in Hendersonville - 10 minutes south of Asheville and we love it here. We have lived in New England, Arizona, Arkansas and Florida - we really like this the best.

You DO have the seasons, but WINTER is so much shorter and milder than New England. Summer is warm, but not as hot a Arizona and NEVER humid like Florida. Summer and winter in Arkansas is much longer than here and a lot more humid too.

This is the best climate we have found. Low humidity, mild and short winters and all of the seasons.

Doesn't get better than this as far as we are concerned.

Linda In NC

Old 12-13-2008, 08:58 AM

1 posts, read 4,918 times
I'm from a small mountain town east of San Diego looking to relocate to NC or Virginia. Henderson has already caught my eye as I was searching for towns with the least humidity. We get all 4 seasons here with just enough snow occasionally to make it pretty, yet the air is much dryer here with only about 3-4 humid weeks in the summer with temps reaching into the 90's. Could you be more specific about the humidity in the summer there. How long, what months, how thick??? I feel like I'm suffocating in hot, humid weather and don't want to move somewhere just to have to hide inside in front of the AC. I'm most comfortable in smaller towns...Asheville looked too big and I don't want to live in a college town...I like it quieter.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:08 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,911,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I actually find the north-western Piedmont a little chilly for my tastes, in all seasons.
I'm always happier the further south and east I travel.

I'd pick as far southeast as you could go, which is probably the Sandhills.
Towns like Southern Pines and Rockingham, especially Rockingham.

*Since the places I mentioned aren't cities, for weather I'd pick Charlotte or Raleigh. Charlotte because it's the furthest south, Raleigh the furthest east. Both cities are probably similar. I'm very familiar with Raleigh, Winston-Salem and Greensboro and it always seems a tiny bit warmer in Raleigh.

**Closest city to my ideal Piedmont-climate is just past the Fall Line, in Fayetteville.
It has a nice climate too, but it's pretty flat there since it's in the coastal plain.
CC, we're going to take up a collection and send you to the equator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather