U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 03-26-2008, 06:08 PM

29,910 posts, read 5,086,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
How many days of northern winter have you been able to experience?

I know I like the regular southern summer weather because I've spent a total close to 20 weeks in it, spread over 11 years. It resembles heat waves in Toronto as well as Carribbean winter weather, both of which I love.

*Note I hesitate to say I like it entirely, as I don't know how I'd feel in some parts of the South in a hotter summer; say 50 days straight of 97+ F. It could irritate me, it might not, but I'll never know unless I actually lived in it.
in the last 5 years, i've spent about 2 1/2 months of experience in northern winters, never get tired of snoe and cold, just LOVE it!!!!!!!

trust me, no matter how hot the summer here where I live we'll NEVER get 50 days straight of 97+F weather, If we did have that i would be downright miserable!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-26-2008, 11:25 PM

13,496 posts, read 23,335,269 times
The winters in northern Alabama sound pretty good after you've spent your entire life in Minnesota. You guys even have worse weather then we have over here.

Unread 03-27-2008, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
The winters in northern Alabama sound pretty good after you've spent your entire life in Minnesota. You guys even have worse weather then we have over here.
you got to remember though, Ice Storms are much more frequent there beacuse of warmer temps.

Unread 03-27-2008, 06:26 AM

12,163 posts, read 19,520,965 times
It is important to remember that visiting a winter for a few weeks a year is VASTLY different than living in a Northern winter climate. (Not picking on you directly dxiweodwo, but I am going to use your numbers just as an example.) 2 1/2 months out of the last 5 years is a nice taste, the reality though to live in it, is 2 1/2 years out of the last 5 years. That is a big, big difference that most people that haven't experienced it cannot fathom.

I am looking out my window at white snow covering EVERYTHING, just as it has for the last 4 1/2 months. You can't go for a walk because the snowbanks are right to the edge of the road and you would have to walk in the road itself. (Some cases the snowbanks are almost to the center line in places and it is one lane) If there is any wind, the snow swirls around enough that anybody that is driving would be hard pressed to see you. A few weeks of below freezing temps can be an invigorating experience that is a pleasant change, a few months of continuous below freezing temp (and usually a lot of time below 0 as well) isn't quite so nice.

Do I like winter? Kind of. I like the changing seasons every year, I like the first few snowfalls because it IS fresh and pure looking. (don't really care for the 30th snowfall though). It is easy to think of winter as cuddling up by a crackling fire and sipping hot cocoa. In order to do that scene though you have to remember that to cuddle up by a fire, you also have to cut and split the wood, stack it, lug it into the house, keep feeding it into the fireplace. In order to get to the wood, you have to dig the walks, clear the pathways of snow, and then haul it in through the cold. There is a LOT of work that has to go into a romantic evening by a fire. Winter can be nice times, it can be a LOT of fun. It is also not as easy as a visit tough. Most people I have seen who say the LOVE winter and everything about it, hasn't been through an entire northern winter. While it does have it high points and is enjoyable, it can be depressing and long after MONTHS of it without a break.

Unread 03-27-2008, 11:02 AM

1,353 posts, read 2,592,730 times
Sorry Bydand and Jammie, but I'm all with dxiweodwo.

Have you guys lived through southern summers before? You may have months straight of snow but try dealing with 3 months straight of 90+ weather with only a handful of days below 90, none below 80. The heat index is more often than not above 100 at the same time. The coolest low you can expect to see during that period is 60, and probably closer to 65. Having a pool is stupid, the water is too hot to even get in.

We may not know winter but do you guys really know summer? Everything gets old, and our summer does by the middle of June

Unread 03-27-2008, 11:24 AM

12,163 posts, read 19,520,965 times
Actually,yes I have lived through Southern Summers. I lived for several years in the Dallas, Texas area. I am not saying I don't like the Northern winters. What I said is that it is easy to have a very distorted view of how "nice" it can be.

There is a reason after spending several years in Texas, that I live in a northern state. I cannot deal with the heat, anything above 75 or 80 and I am ready to die. I have never said I would like a southern summer, what I have said is that I cannot wait for our Spring to start and for our unbeatable summer to get here. I am tired of a white landscape.

Unread 03-27-2008, 02:41 PM

im with Nameless, it gets so dang hot here, every thing turns brown and ugly.

Unread 03-27-2008, 03:57 PM

9,597 posts, read 13,890,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
You may have months straight of snow but try dealing with 3 months straight of 90+ weather with only a handful of days below 90, none below 80. The heat index is more often than not above 100 at the same time. The coolest low you can expect to see during that period is 60, and probably closer to 65.

Having a pool is stupid, the water is too hot to even get in.
I've worked outside a lot in 90-94 F, as well as a handfull of days from 95-98 F. The heat did not make my job a whole lot more difficult. It was a little bit or a challenge, but that's it.

Some of the time I was doing construction, swinging a sledge hammer for 2-3 hours in the low to mid 90's, in the sunshine, dewpoint at least 75 F but with a light breeze about once every 10-30 seconds, lasting 3-10 seconds... (No problem mon. )

I like a heat index of 100 F, to me it feels like moderate heat; easily to deal with.

All depends on what you like to swim in... ()

"Perfect" water temp for swimming to me is 85-87 F.

"Acceptable" water temp for swimming is 82-84 F and 88-91 F.
"Tolerable" swimming water is 78-81.
Anything from "65-77 F: is swim if you really want, but beware of hypothermia,
Anything under 65 F is insane without a wetsuit. (or really hot air to warm up when you dry)

*What temp do you find is too hot to swim?

*We heat our pool almost every time we want to use ours, even when it's 90 F outside if our pool is only 80-82 F.

Unread 03-27-2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I've worked outside a lot in 90-94 F, as well as a handfull of days from 95-98 F. The heat did not make my job a whole lot more difficult. It was a little bit or a challenge, but that's it.

Some of the time I was doing construction, swinging a sledge hammer for 2-3 hours in the low to mid 90's, in the sunshine, dewpoint at least 75 F but with a light breeze about once every 10-30 seconds, lasting 3-10 seconds... (No problem mon. )

I like a heat index of 100 F, to me it feels like moderate heat; easily to deal with.

All depends on what you like to swim in... ()

"Perfect" water temp for swimming to me is 85-87 F.

"Acceptable" water temp for swimming is 82-84 F and 88-91 F.
"Tolerable" swimming water is 78-81.
Anything from "65-77 F: is swim if you really want, but beware of hypothermia,
Anything under 65 F is insane without a wetsuit. (or really hot air to warm up when you dry)

*What temp do you find is too hot to swim?

*We heat our pool almost every time we want to use ours, even when it's 90 F outside if our pool is only 80-82 F.
i think when the water is above 80, it's pointless to jump in a pool because it's not refreshing at all.

my perfect water temp is 69-74 it's refreshing and it dosen't feel cold.

Unread 03-27-2008, 05:54 PM

9,597 posts, read 13,890,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
i think when the water is above 80, it's pointless to jump in a pool because it's not refreshing at all.

my perfect water temp is 69-74 it's refreshing and it dosen't feel cold.
That sounds like you normally have A LOT of body heat you want to get rid of.

Most of the time I feel neutrally balanced with body heat, neither lacking or having excess,
so I don't want the water to take away body heat.

Even if I did want it to take away body heat, 84 F is cool enough that I can get pretty chilly after an hour, if I stay pretty still.

87 F is still cool enough to prevent me from changing from neutrally balanced to overheated while doing moderately aggressive, continuous swimming. It's only too warm for racing for say, 10 minutes straight. 3 minutes straight swimming as hard as I can is no problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather