U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-25-2008, 06:31 AM

12,140 posts, read 21,987,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
This was a great thread for me. I am researching the Northern winters and wondering if being from Phoenix I could take it. lol Anybody move from a hot climate to a cold and humid climate and live to tell about it? I'm so sick of the heat, and my kids burn easily. I would love to change climates but am a little nervous about it. I can't even remember what snow looks like.
I went from West Michigan, to Texas and thought I would melt from the heat. Then after a couple of years, moved from Texas to the UP of Michigan. Honestly, thought I was going to freeze to death that first winter back, but all ended well. The first winter anyplace with much colder temps than you are used to will be miserable, so NEVER judge an area by the first Summer or winter you are there, it isn't accurate for the long run. After that there is much to say about the 4 seasons and beautiful Summers where it is warm without being Blistering hot. And then the cool down into cold winter temps where the kids (and you too if so desired) can make snow angels, forts, snowball fights, skiing, sledding, snowshoeing, etc.... I find the 4 seasons to give me more options in things to do, and not just the same old thing all year long.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 07:13 PM

3,886 posts, read 6,311,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I went from West Michigan, to Texas and thought I would melt from the heat. Then after a couple of years, moved from Texas to the UP of Michigan. Honestly, thought I was going to freeze to death that first winter back, but all ended well. The first winter anyplace with much colder temps than you are used to will be miserable, so NEVER judge an area by the first Summer or winter you are there, it isn't accurate for the long run. After that there is much to say about the 4 seasons and beautiful Summers where it is warm without being Blistering hot. And then the cool down into cold winter temps where the kids (and you too if so desired) can make snow angels, forts, snowball fights, skiing, sledding, snowshoeing, etc.... I find the 4 seasons to give me more options in things to do, and not just the same old thing all year long.
I want to make snow angels. lol I am sick of exactly what your talking about. It feels like the same season all year. The only different weather I experience in Phoenix is the monsoon season. I don't really love the dirt, I just love the change of pace. Other than that we just have a really long summer all year round. It get cold about 2 weeks really, that's it. I will keep in mind the first year will be rough on my old Phoenix bones. I can't wait to wear a real coat. lol

Old 05-26-2008, 07:09 PM

9,598 posts, read 15,427,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Interesting story, but still a few people never adjust well.

For myself,

Snow = Blistering Cold

Yes, that's right... 31 F can easily equal blistering, sharply painful cold.
And anything under 20 F IS blistering cold.
However at the same time I rarely have ever noticed a heat index under 100 F.
I've never lived anywhere else but around Toronto, so it baffles me.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:58 PM

4,056 posts, read 7,798,424 times
Hey twiggy--if you're considering a move to New England, I recommend visiting the NH, Maine or VT boards to see what we're dealing with. Winter is snow, cold, lots of "real coats" and some people love it, some don't. Do you research well!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
This was a great thread for me. I am researching the Northern winters and wondering if being from Phoenix I could take it. lol Anybody move from a hot climate to a cold and humid climate and live to tell about it? I'm so sick of the heat, and my kids burn easily. I would love to change climates but am a little nervous about it. I can't even remember what snow looks like.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:09 AM

578 posts, read 395,078 times
I'll admit I just came here today to complain. So here goes.
I live in upstate NY (true upstate, Canada is 20 minutes away) and I have SAD. I am currently at bottom, crying or tearing up every day, taking a couple of showers a day, just everything associated with depression. SAD isn't being blue or wishing winter was over, its being depressed. I do everything the experts recommend, I take vitamin D which helps a little. Light therapy did nothing to help. Since August I have lost 50 pounds and totally changed my lifestyle. I exercise 5-6 days a week. I thought this year would be better because exercise is supposed to help, but there's no difference in the SAD. I do EVERYTHING that's been recommended and still it hit this year. For me it isn't the light so much as the cold that brings me down. I hate all winter activities because they require being out in the cold. We cannot afford vacas to warmer climates every year so I am stuck here until the weather warms up at the end of May. Once we hit 70s I am a totally different person. The depression is completely gone. By July I forget it even existed and think I was exaggerating the symptoms.

I am so sick of winter.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:10 PM

5,867 posts, read 2,920,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaleyRocks View Post
I live in upstate NY (true upstate, Canada is 20 minutes away) and I have SAD. I am currently at bottom, crying or tearing up every day, taking a couple of showers a day, just everything associated with depression. SAD isn't being blue or wishing winter was over, its being depressed. I do everything the experts recommend, I take vitamin D which helps a little. Light therapy did nothing to help. Since August I have lost 50 pounds and totally changed my lifestyle. I exercise 5-6 days a week. I thought this year would be better because exercise is supposed to help, but there's no difference in the SAD. I do EVERYTHING that's been recommended and still it hit this year. For me it isn't the light so much as the cold that brings me down. I hate all winter activities because they require being out in the cold. We cannot afford vacas to warmer climates every year so I am stuck here until the weather warms up at the end of May. Once we hit 70s I am a totally different person. The depression is completely gone. By July I forget it even existed and think I was exaggerating the symptoms.

I am so sick of winter.

Given you hate winter that bad, and you physically feel the way you do, I think you should consider picking up sticks and moving. You have AZ, CA, TX, FL, etc. etc. All warmer and sunnier than where you are now. If you lived in the UK or Canada you would have to emigrate to another country. Consider yourself lucky that moving to another state is really no big deal. I have an uncle that moved to Tucson, AZ and years ago my dad's sister moved to FL. They never looked back and love living there. They both hated cold and winter.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:41 PM

7,032 posts, read 3,925,961 times
Quote:

I am so sick of winter.
I definitely share some elements of this. It's generally very dull cloudy and cool most of the year where I live, and while I don't consider myself "depressed" as such, when we do get a rare period of sunny weather (not necessarily warm though) my mood becomes so amazingly more positive just like magic. I become capable of feeling a kind of joy and energy in many things in life that I normally didn't think I had.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:44 PM

7,787 posts, read 6,354,352 times
I'm a four season lover, lived in the midwest all my life and even moved further north when I retired. I'm just not a fan of hot weather, or day after day same weather. I sympathize with people that can't take the cold, hate the cold, and winter weather depression. My dad was very weather driven, and I thoroughly believe people that can't cope with it.

If someone is considering going back from warm climates to cooler or cold, do your homework, not an easy choice. What I did has worked out very welll for me, but I'd say it might be the exception rather than the norm.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:17 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,672,687 times
Quote:

I am so sick of winter.
I have the same issue. The year I moved to the DC Area was horrible. I got depressed every winter (fall and spring, some days I was also very upset when it was chilly out). It was from the snow, dark-earlier weather, cold, wind, dryness. But also how BARE the trees were! I had just moved there from San Diego, so I was completely unused to it. Once mid-April came, up through late October, I was happy, because the weather was mild-warm, there were leaves and flowers on the trees, I loved the thunderstorms in the east coast too. Moving back to San Diego was a bit better, but even here, the cool and rainy winters, and the cool and overcast springs are just too much for me to deal with. It's also very dry here, which can make me depressed as well. But once summer and fall arrive, it's warm and I love it!

Old 02-10-2013, 09:02 PM

4,632 posts, read 1,679,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Interesting story, but still a few people never adjust well.

For myself,

Snow = Blistering Cold

Yes, that's right... 31 F can easily equal blistering, sharply painful cold.
And anything under 20 F IS blistering cold.
However at the same time I rarely have ever noticed a heat index under 100 F.
I've never lived anywhere else but around Toronto, so it baffles me.
31F is hardly blistering, sharply painful cold.... over here that would be a WARM January day.

I guess it depends how you adjust to it, and how much you're outside.

Today it was -4C at 2:00 pm windchill -12c and I just had a light sweater on and I was comfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather