Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 05:01 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,997,640 times

Advertisements

I see that this has turned into a nexus for the winter-haters. I'd just like to say that I'm just about the biggest winter fan you'll ever meet, and I'm really incapable of attaining a deep emotional understanding of why anyone could hate cold, snow, and winter. However, I do acknowledge it's a matter of taste, and considering all the threads us coldies have, it's about time you warm weather fans got a winter thread of your own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 05:06 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
You should see the gloom in the Syracuse area! Wow, I moved here from the Southwest (Sunny Phoenix). I actually hated the amount of sun we got there. Day in and day out, endless sun and it does get to you after years of it, physically and mentally lots of heat/sun is hard to endure, but also the lack of change/variety. Summers ( 4 1/2 months) you close your shades/blinds and pray for October.
Here, the cloud cover starts September 1st -late January. You see the Sun maybe 5-6 hours/week,maximum. Then, in later January, it starts getting sunnier. We're getting at least 4-5 days of partly sunny days now. I actually do better in clouds/cooler weather than unending heat for monthson end. Hoping temp. stay, weather one factor amongst many.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:38 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,463,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
I see that this has turned into a nexus for the winter-haters. I'd just like to say that I'm just about the biggest winter fan you'll ever meet, and I'm really incapable of attaining a deep emotional understanding of why anyone could hate cold, snow, and winter. However, I do acknowledge it's a matter of taste, and considering all the threads us coldies have, it's about time you warm weather fans got a winter thread of your own.
LOL yeah it helps to be able to commiserate. I get so sick of hearing people tell me I just need to learn to love winter activities and blah blah. I've tried to politely explain that I've lived here my ENTIRE life, I've tried every winter activity there is. I simply hate anything to do with cold so I don't enjoy those activities. For some reason people seem to be unwilling to accept the fact that people could have different tastes and continue to insist that Im just not doing the right thing, need to do this or that. Thats why I come here, to chat with folks who aren't going to tell me how wrong I am and how I need to just buck up and blah blah.

Found out last year that the winter blues must run in my family. Grandma is a snow bird and last year she was talking about how much she used to suffer in winter and how she will NEVER live through another north country winter. She said her whole life changed when she moved South for those months. She didn't even know about SAD or know she had a problem with the actual season until she spent a few winters in S. C.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:03 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,413,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post

I think that was part of the intention.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:27 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Don't fret - the sun is now coming toward the northern hemisphere again

The further we go into February, and especially March, the Arctic blasts just can't deliver the same punch. The sun is just too high in the sky and even when brutally cold, the sunny days heat up nicely.

Personally I can't wait to March 1st. I already got some of summer deck plants sprouting in little containers (from seed). Bring on the warm weather!!

Old 02-12-2013, 07:32 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,413,567 times
That's why I wish I was either at a lower altitude or not surrounded by a mass of water. Sun's too week to help us smash through this cold blast effectively, and the crummy arctic frigid waters around here mean spring is a prolonged, slightly subdued version of winter going on for months anyway.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:32 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,997,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaleyRocks View Post
LOL yeah it helps to be able to commiserate. I get so sick of hearing people tell me I just need to learn to love winter activities and blah blah. I've tried to politely explain that I've lived here my ENTIRE life, I've tried every winter activity there is. I simply hate anything to do with cold so I don't enjoy those activities.
Well, if you hate winter and are depressed you actually should try to engage in winter activities and get outside more. Believe it or not it actually works for some people. However, if you've tried to enjoy winter and failed, then you're part of the group that actually is unsuited to winter (the others just have a lifestyle problem). People should accept those results.

Quote:
Found out last year that the winter blues must run in my family. Grandma is a snow bird [...]
Curious. In my experience, climate preference usually doesn't run in families (yours being an exception).

Old 02-12-2013, 06:49 PM

Climate preference is different from depression, which does run in families. And is on my Grandma's side. Seasonal Affective Disorder is not just "boy I hate the cold". Its fighting tears everyday, not getting dressed or leaving the house unless I absolutely have to, crying for no reason, avoiding my friends and family. Its full on depression and it lifts every summer and comes back every January.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:57 PM

5,355 posts, read 5,129,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaleyRocks View Post
Climate preference is different from depression, which does run in families. And is on my Grandma's side. Seasonal Affective Disorder is not just "boy I hate the cold". Its fighting tears everyday, not getting dressed or leaving the house unless I absolutely have to, crying for no reason, avoiding my friends and family. Its full on depression and it lifts every summer and comes back every January.
You might be a supporter of global warming?

Old 02-12-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
You might be a supporter of global warming?
LMAO, yup huge fan. And totally puzzled as to why anyone would move to Canada. I live near Canada and love my Canadian neighbors. Did one grad degree with mostly Canadians, they were super nice. But good god they don't have a Florida to run to in winter. How do they survive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather