Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2013, 03:58 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,462,950 times

Advertisements

Okay apparently the Canadian thing should have had some smileys or something to confer tone. It was meant as a jest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 11:04 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,211,711 times
I would move to Canada in a heartbeat. Sadly it's difficult to emigrate there.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:13 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,865,857 times
I most certainly wouldn't. Had a crap experience there.

We were outta there pronto as soon as our holiday there ended.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:23 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,387,006 times
^Good thing you don't want to as language proficiency is a requirement of citizenship.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:29 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,879,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
I see that this has turned into a nexus for the winter-haters. I'd just like to say that I'm just about the biggest winter fan you'll ever meet, and I'm really incapable of attaining a deep emotional understanding of why anyone could hate cold, snow, and winter. However, I do acknowledge it's a matter of taste, and considering all the threads us coldies have, it's about time you warm weather fans got a winter thread of your own.
I can't see how anyone can love the cold and snow. With the dry skin, the tons of uncomfortable layers, the slick roads, the lack of local fresh produce, etc... I was so glad I got out of the north when I did.

Occasionally they send me up north on a business trip, but when they do, I just make sure when I get there I crank the heat in the car to full blast, crank the heater in my hotel room to full blast with windows closed, and have a tub of hot water left overnight to moisturize the room.

When I leave I'm like "good riddance".

My new policy is not going north of latitude 35 from October to May. I don't mind northern cities, in the summer

Old 02-14-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Well, if you hate winter and are depressed you actually should try to engage in winter activities and get outside more. Believe it or not it actually works for some people. However, if you've tried to enjoy winter and failed, then you're part of the group that actually is unsuited to winter (the others just have a lifestyle problem). People should accept those results.

Curious. In my experience, climate preference usually doesn't run in families (yours being an exception).
The same can be said for hot summer weather. Get outside and enjoy summer activities and summer becomes fun. I see in a lot of your posts that you can't seem to handle even mild summer weather (in upper 70s), so my advice is to get out and sweat a little in the summer. It does wonders for your health to open up those pores!

Old 02-14-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
I know about winter S.A.D., and come to think of it depression does run in families. However, it is also related to climate preference. If short days and cold weather make you very depressed, chances are you're not going to like short days and cold weather. Also, it is common for people to have S.A.D. and hate the cold at the same time.

59/39F? In the middle of winter? From my point of view, that's very warm. Although, I typically judge weather by using a four-season baseline (like this climate), not a tropical baseline, and I suppose if you use 80F every day as your baseline it is chilly.

Presumably they move to Canada because they believe their life will be better in Canada than where they were previously. Also, there are many people who do not want to run to Florida in the winter. To them, the absence of warm-weather denizens that harp and whine about cold weather is a plus. I include myself among that group.

I also have similar misgivings about warm-winter climates - how do people get by without a nice cool-summer place or a ski resort to run to ? Cooler climates nearby are a plus, and that's the reason that most of my fictional tropical/subtropical climates have big mountain ranges nearby. In all seriousness, though, I do feel sorry for the cold-hating Canadians who have to go through immigration rigmarole to get to a warmer climate. There's a lot to be said for free migration, but that's another topic entirely.
You know how we get through the summer? We embrace it: boating, skiing, wake boarding, rafting, barbequing and sitting outside on the deck until the wee hours of the night with hardly anything on and no trace of being cold. Love it!

Old 02-14-2013, 03:00 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,387,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
You know how we get through the summer? We embrace it: boating, skiing, wake boarding, rafting, barbequing and sitting outside on the deck until the wee hours of the night with hardly anything on and no trace of being cold. Love it!
You know how we get through the winter? We embrace it: snowball fights, skiing, hiking, skating, tubing, beer-bogganing, fishing, snowmobiling, sitting outside on the deck until the wee hours of the night regardless of temperature

Old 02-14-2013, 04:20 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,918,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post

Very well said and exactly why I love summer so much.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:23 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,918,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humid Subtropical View Post
You know how we get through the winter? We embrace it: snowball fights, skiing, hiking, skating, tubing, beer-bogganing, fishing, snowmobiling, sitting outside on the deck until the wee hours of the night regardless of temperature

I embrace winter by going skiing which I find to be great fun. Also like ice skating (need an indoor rink for that).

I can't imagine though sitting outside all thru the night talking, etc when bundled all up in winter gear.
At least in summer you can wear just about nothing outside all night. At least where I live you can. Not sure you can do that anywhere that has low summer temps in the 50's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather