Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2018, 08:58 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
^^^^^^

That’s odd- the latest drought monitor is showing parts of Vermont and New Hampshire as being in moderate drought conditions, perhaps the drought indicators need to be reassessed
Hmm. We're labeled as "abnormally dry", too. June was wetter than usual. But July has been dry for many places; we got some big storms but they were scattered, many did get them. Plus, with the heat more evaporates so more rain is needed not to be dry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2018, 09:30 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Thundering and light rain here right now.

Embedded Thunder and downpours with this cluster. 7:20-11:20pm loop with temps.

Still mid 80s near midnight in NYC.. Low 70s here.

Old 07-15-2018, 04:12 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Very much like 2013!
Very much like the summer of 2013?

Old 07-15-2018, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unobtainium View Post
Is Bastardi ever correct about anything? Seems like a Farmer's Almanac is about as accurate in its predictions as Bastardi is.

With the way the Jet stream keeps dipping and these troughs coming in with blocking in the Atlantic it should make for an interesting setup.

This will not only keep temps down but also bring a chance of a coastal storm forming. Lets keep an eye on this pattern. Maybe Bastardi is onto something. Chris and Beryl came within few hundred miles of hitting the coast and take a look at the setup coming up.

This mornings look at the Upper Height. See loop below.

Focus on that Atlantic High. Pretty persistent and even gets closer to East coast towards the end of the run.

I think the East coast may be entering a wet period as a parked High Pressure over the Atlantic will bring a southeast flow up the coast and stall fronts coming in. Like what we had in Spring especially in Northeast.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:44 AM

30,400 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
With the way the Jet stream keeps dipping and these troughs coming in with blocking in the Atlantic it should make for an interesting setup.

This will not only keep temps down but also bring a chance of a coastal storm forming. Lets keep an eye on this pattern. Maybe Bastardi is onto something. Chris and Beryl came within few hundred miles of hitting the coast and take a look at the setup coming up.

This mornings look at the Upper Height. See loop below.

Focus on that Atlantic High. Pretty persistent and even gets closer to East coast towards the end of the run.

I think the East coast may be entering a wet period as a parked High Pressure over the Atlantic will bring a southeast flow up the coast and stall fronts coming in. Like what we had in Spring especially in Northeast.
And as long as the jet keeps pushing down it also pushes the axis of the high south of my area giving me a reverse west windflow.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:55 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times
Finally some much needed rain last night and today. Not technically in a drought but well on the way to entering abnormally dry conditions.

Old 07-15-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
And as long as the jet keeps pushing down it also pushes the axis of the high south of my area giving me a reverse west windflow.
Yeah, I think because that Atlantic High is too far East and North it hasn't given you that Easterly flow. interesting pattern. Scary actually if continues into Fall.. (in regards to stronger cold fronts and warm Atlantic, dare I say NorEasters?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Finally some much needed rain last night and today. Not technically in a drought but well on the way to entering abnormally dry conditions.
Yeah, was nice. I got almost 1/2". Some grass instantly greened up.

Here's the precip totals since 1st of the month. Some spots in Hudson Valley now got over 2" of rain. Many areas over 1"

Old 07-15-2018, 09:53 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times
Only a quarter of an inch here, it’ll quickly evaporate. The dry pattern marches on....for now.

Old 07-15-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Check out how deep the Canadian model sends it this week. Hahah. #NoWay. GFS Similar though.

NWS Atlanta not too detailed but does mention this trough coming. (Also called "amplified" which is not a word typically used in Summer)

Quote:
National Weather Service Peachtree City GA
1115 AM EDT Sun Jul 15 2018

.Monday Night through Saturday/...

Medium-range model trends continue to be consistent and in fairly
good agreement through the majority of the Long-Term Forecast period.
Relatively high-amplitude upper pattern persists with the eastern
U.S. under a deepening upper trough. Sharp frontal boundary sags
into the forecast area midweek, lingering over the region through
the latter half of the week before washing out. Some drier air does
try to fill into the north Wednesday/Thursday behind the front, but
not enough to eliminate POPs altogether across the north just yet.
High POPs and seasonal temperatures are expected through the Extended
Forecast period.

NWS Birmingham Alabama pretty detailed. Nice.

Old 07-15-2018, 10:57 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,648,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Check out how deep the Canadian model sends it this week. Hahah. #NoWay. GFS Similar though.

NWS Atlanta not too detailed but does mention this trough coming. (Also called "amplified" which is not a word typically used in Summer)
This would be very interesting to see happen in late July but no one will complain. Summer hit fast forward earlier this year, so will it be ending earlier than normal also? Hmmmm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather