U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 05:12 AM

11,536 posts, read 8,119,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Why do you want to move to Cuba then? They get 6+ months of that
Cause we get it worse here and less rain by far where i live compared to Cuba. Plus i love the offshore fishing down there and more chances for tropical weather. If it ever becomes free i am going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 07:56 AM

7,686 posts, read 3,409,535 times
I like variety and some hot months. Just can't stand when the summers get prolonged and stretch late into October like last year. I find the heat quit bearable even up to 100 degrees, but it is the humidity that kills you. Sticky, heavy feeling like taking a steam shower without the water. I can't imagine anyone who enjoys humidity. It's even miserable in 70 degree weather.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:08 AM
Status: "Soon I'll hear old winter's song.." (set 15 days ago)

5,391 posts, read 2,847,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I like variety and some hot months. Just can't stand when the summers get prolonged and stretch late into October like last year. I find the heat quit bearable even up to 100 degrees, but it is the humidity that kills you. Sticky, heavy feeling like taking a steam shower without the water. I can't imagine anyone who enjoys humidity. It's even miserable in 70 degree weather.
Yea, I welcome the heat between Memorial Day and Labour Day but if persists well into the autumn I get sick of it. I hated Indian summers down south but they're not as bad up north.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:31 AM

7,081 posts, read 3,780,855 times
In my experience, most people who "love summer" spend it indoors with the air-conditioning watching TV or trolling the Internet, so I really don't get it. Presumably they just can't be bothered to put on a coat when it's not summer outside.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:42 AM

6,355 posts, read 8,549,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
In my experience, most people who "love summer" spend it indoors with the air-conditioning watching TV or trolling the Internet, so I really don't get it. Presumably they just can't be bothered to put on a coat when it's not summer outside.
Same for people who "love" very cold weather. They spend most of the winter indoors by the heater. When they go outside, they can't wait to get to their cars.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:06 AM

7,081 posts, read 3,780,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Same for people who "love" very cold weather. They spend most of the winter indoors by the heater. When they go outside, they can't wait to get to their cars.
Actually, no. If you're an active/athletic person, cold weather is far preferable to hot/humid weather. You can always dress more warmly; you can't always dress more lightly, and moving around increases body temps.

Old 05-22-2018, 10:36 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,759,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Actually, no. If you're an active/athletic person, cold weather is far preferable to hot/humid weather. You can always dress more warmly; you can't always dress more lightly, and moving around increases body temps.
Well I'm an active/athletic person who much prefers hot weather. I work out much more often in the heat because it feels better, lots of sweating, feel more limber, can do more things. And you don't have to put layers of clothing on. I eat more healthy food in the heat too, plenty of fruit and veg, much less need for comfort food and drink.

And all of this is more dramatic post 50. Granted I'm not training for marathons are playing highly competitive sports anymore where you worry about wilting in the heat/humidity.

And on a bicycle, I like to think riding makes it feel about 20 degrees cooler. So I can bicycle for hours when it's 95 and humid and it feels cooling and divine. Working in the yard at 95 is pretty brutal though, only then do I prefer it cool.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:05 AM

6,819 posts, read 4,410,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptunepenguins View Post
I like my summers hot and I like my winters cold. I guess I don't like monotony.
Complete opposite here. I prefer the "monotony" of perpetually 55-deg nights and 65-degree days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I like variety and some hot months. Just can't stand when the summers get prolonged and stretch late into October like last year...
In my part of the world, it's quite common to have temperatures well into the 80s through mid-October (with accompanying humidity). Then, somebody throws a switch, and by mid-November come the first snow flurries. This year, we had snow flurries through mid-April. This was followed by admittedly a few nice, spring-like weeks. By mid-May, it was in the mid-80s, and of course humid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Agreed. Extremes seem to be favored by people who rely on artificial means of creating an indoor climate. Those who drive cars without climate control, who prefer to save money by not running the air conditioning or heating at home, who drive with open windows and sleep with open windows, would prefer a more moderate climate.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:41 AM
Status: "Soon I'll hear old winter's song.." (set 15 days ago)

5,391 posts, read 2,847,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Complete opposite here. I prefer the "monotony" of perpetually 55-deg nights and 65-degree days.

In my part of the world, it's quite common to have temperatures well into the 80s through mid-October (with accompanying humidity). Then, somebody throws a switch, and by mid-November come the first snow flurries. This year, we had snow flurries through mid-April. This was followed by admittedly a few nice, spring-like weeks. By mid-May, it was in the mid-80s, and of course humid.

Agreed. Extremes seem to be favored by people who rely on artificial means of creating an indoor climate. Those who drive cars without climate control, who prefer to save money by not running the air conditioning or heating at home, who drive with open windows and sleep with open windows, would prefer a more moderate climate.
What about people like me, who enjoy outdoor activities that are either only possible with extreme temperatures or best enjoyed in the heat? For example I love ice skating on frozen ponds and lakes and you can only do that in freezing cold weather that's consistently cold enough to make sure the ice is safe to skate on. I also like boating and fishing and swimming in the summer. Summers that barely reach 80s suck for water activities. Who would wanna go to the beach at 70 degrees? Its too cool to fully enjoy it. And then I like those mild days in the 50s and 60s for hiking.

My house doesn't even HAVE AC but if it's super hot out anyway and I am not at work, I don't wanna be home in the first place. On a really hot day off, you will catch me at the lake or outside grilling if I am able to. And if it's a bright cold sunny day in winter with a foot of snow on the ground, I might go skiing. Climate control is great when you have to be home but I don't like to be stuck at home. Worst thing of not having a car right now is that it's such a hassle to go anywhere. Once I have a vehicle again I will barely be in my house.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:41 AM

9,103 posts, read 3,923,269 times
I personally hate hot weather which to me is anything about 85 with high humidity. Unfortunately since I live in Florida I just have to deal with it 5-6 months out of the year because I'm not moving again. Our winters are beautiful however, which is why the snowbirds flock down every October.

To me, the perfect temperature is 70-78 with low humidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or