Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 10:16 PM

3,264 posts, read 1,772,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
How do people sleep with the bedroom warmer than 72?

Serious question. Do you use a fan? What is on your bed, just a sheet?
80° + Ceiling fan on low + light sheet, feet out + little to no sleepwear.

Member of the US Olympic sleep team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 11:48 PM

6,972 posts, read 4,807,330 times
I don't have an air conditioner and I probably couldn't afford to set it this low if I did, but I like the temp between 55 and 60 degrees at night. That's no problem in winter and I always have my window cracked open then.

If it gets up to 70, I'm already too hot. I go out in T-shirts when other people are wearing coats and hats.

Old 07-14-2018, 12:40 AM

2,652 posts, read 3,374,770 times
Most of time preferably set to 22°C when turning on the central air conditioner.

Old 07-14-2018, 02:26 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,583,826 times
Summer or winter makes no difference, temperature is always set to around 72 during the day and 66 at night. The American Sleep Institute as well as other professional organizations agree that sleeping temperature should be in the mid-60s, it should not be 70 degrees or higher. That is way too warm. You're not getting quality sleep that way and in fact you're just being unhealthy.

What I really want to know is what are people wasting their money on that this is some big issue for you? What are you doing wrong somewhere else to make a fuss about this?! I have solar panels and a top notch HVAC system, summer is the cheapest season! It costs me $90/month for ALL electric bills in a 3-story 2,900 square foot house working from home running my AC all day long along with TVs, computers, video game consoles, RAID hard drives, etc. Is a few dollars really worth the miserable aggravation? This is 2018, it's not 1654. We have the ability to control indoor temperatures and there is no good reason they should vary whatsoever between seasons. Are you going inside and outside constantly? Probably not, so what does it matter if it's -29 out or 122? The human body has the same internal temperature and a well insulated house should remain the same temperature no matter what. The outdoor temperature is just that -- outdoors. It doesn't affect or have any influence on my comfort indoors.

This is maybe the issue that annoys me the most to see people talk about because it should be clear to everyone that it makes no difference when the season is, this is a house, it's not a cave, it isn't subject to outdoor issues. If your house isn't insulated enough to hold the proper temperatures, either fix it or move. If your HVAC system isn't powerful enough to do its job, replace it. I can't imagine a more essential thing than the temperature of a dwelling. It's absolutely miserable to be subjected to the whims of mother nature when you're not even outside! If I want to experience the outdoors, I go outside. If I'm indoors, I expect the same temperatures no matter what.

PS: I love most of the replies here, it's refreshing that most people seem to understand upper 60s or 70 at most is a good sleeping temperature. I don't understand these people who talk about how we should all be able to fall asleep in 80 degree heat. I couldn't do ANYTHING in that heat indoors for long. If I'm outside and it's 80+ I'm probably not out for too long (I do love the heat outside, though) or I'm hiking and sweating or I'm swimming or I'm in the shade for an hour, then go inside. I'm certainly not trying to do serious work in 80 degrees inside, or trying to sleep in that.

Old 07-14-2018, 06:04 AM

21,108 posts, read 13,405,215 times
You are a bad influence. I just turned the thermostat down to where I want it. 72. I was telling myself 74 is fine but it didn't feel fine! It's a frugal thing that was implemented growing up to acclimate to the seasons. When it gets cold, put on more clothes. When it's hot, deal with it.

Never got good at the latter. For some people being hot is miserable and I am one of them. I was annoyed my $45 balanced billing went to $50 due to cold snaps but that is being ridiculous. It used to be $90. Am I hoping it will go down to $48 by being too warm all summer?

No. That is dumb. 6 cents per day. Or 13 cents trying to get it back to $45.

Old 07-14-2018, 06:05 AM

24,503 posts, read 17,956,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I think you both would be unhappy here, our bedroom AC goes on set at 65 about 7pm, and stays on all night. I would be unable to sleep at 80, even 70 is too warm. Fortunately we only have to use the AC from mid-July through August here.m
So you live in a meat locker?

I keep the mini split at 74. My house is remodeled with good windows, doors, and insulation. With a high SEER modern A/C, it doesn’t cost much to cool the house. My expense is heating. It takes a lot more energy to heat from 20F to 70F than to cool from 85F to 74F.

Old 07-14-2018, 08:13 AM

58 posts, read 64,646 times
79 during the day, but 78 if my wife complains. At night, 78 if needed at all (luckily, when the sun goes down, the outside temperature drops pretty quickly and we get a cooling breeze, so we open up all the doors and windows).

Old 07-14-2018, 09:01 AM

30,137 posts, read 20,850,585 times
Some peeps like colder homes. Mine would never get that cool in my dry and hot summers in FL with solid 100% sunshine and no shade slade.

Old 07-14-2018, 09:57 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,468,848 times
We live in NJ and our home can cool nicely as long as we aren't in a heat wave, which is maybe two or three weeks a year. Then the system can't keep the house at 70 and we have to settle for 72-74

So it becomes an issue of making a major upgrade for a few weeks of the year, or just trying to deal with it (which is why I asked the question of how people sleep at higher temps because I genuinely wanted tips!)

In our last house, one of the bedrooms didn't cool well all summer and we supplemented with a window AC which worked great. So that is always an option for a bedroom as well

Old 07-14-2018, 10:08 AM

22,564 posts, read 24,353,783 times
Comfortable for me is in the 60 to 80 degree range.

90 degrees, yeah, you are not weird, that is pretty much roasting for most people.

Currently in Ridgecrest, Ca..........this area has weather quite similar to Death Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather