Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2018, 02:50 PM

83,515 posts, read 75,294,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
our late summer was cloudier than usual, but warmer; not really a sign of less solar radiation just a regional pattern of a warm & wet airmass. The planet overall wasn't cooler and cloudier, it's just a regional pattern of cloudiness so solar radiation doesn't make sense IMO.
Increased solar radiation = more evaporation. So a quiet sun means more clouds. Of course not every single area will experience this.

I'll send you some peer reviewed studies via PM when I have the chance.

How do you know the planet wasn't cloudier than normal? And there is a lag time. The sun doesnt control a regional climate pattern only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 02:53 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,406,867 times
I haven’t noticed a particular increase in cloudy days at all. Even with all the rain. Also Wilmington is over 100 inches of rainfall for the year!

Old 12-18-2018, 03:31 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,215,512 times
I sure LOVE the humid subtropical climate of Fort Worth Texas, I’m thinking about possibly extending my stay a day or so longer than I originally planned.

Old 12-18-2018, 04:00 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,998,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I dont get it. This year is having a Top 10 warmups for this time of year?? Is he talking about entire U.S? Even still, it doesnt seem like we have a big warm anomaly going on.

Is an interesting stat though regarding rest of winter.

https://twitter.com/tcrawf_nh/status...75417133604864

My guess is that it's the difference between the cold and warm anomalies rather than the magnitude of each one (i.e. going from -10F to +5F would be a bigger warmup than going from 0 to +10F).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakheart View Post
I'm in Central Alabama, which in the broad scheme of things, is very comparable to y'all in Athens, GA.

As a firm believer that it should be cold at Christmas, like you, I had pretty much lost all faith in traditional Christmas weather after the horrific blowtorches of 2015 and 2016. Thankfully, we rebounded last Christmas with a very nice day in the 40s, with a low around freezing. Granted, it was no 1983 or 1989 (look those up! ) but highs in the 40s, lows around freezing are definitely respectable.

All the models seem to indicate that this Christmas Eve/Christmas will be warmer than normal, but certainly no blowtorch. We are still a week out. I have noticed that this time of year, when it stays cloudy all day, the actual high temp ends up outkicking the coverage (from a cold perspective). Case in point - this past Saturday, the high was forecast to be around 60, but the Sun never came out, so it stayed chilly and 53, 54 all day. Perhaps the same will hold true for the 24th and 25th.

Best wishes for a cool Christmas, my friend!

Hideous weather. Absolutely hideous - an excellent illustration* as to why one should be deep within the "white Christmas in average year" zone if one wants cold and snowy Christmases. Anywhere near the edge just isn't reliable enough - even an 80% chance means 2 out of 10 Christmases will be brown, and who needs that?

*Although the blowtorches a few years ago were far worse than this year will be; some models I've seen show snow across the entire Great Lakes watershed and upstate NY which wasn't the case the other years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post

Yep. If I had to guess we're probably flipping back to the earlier cold/stormy pattern sometime in early January. If it's like most of the other years that have had December warmups and January cooldowns it likely will continue through February.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Another rainstorm Friday coming.

Before that storm this is the Jet stream pattern mid this week. Lacking true cold inside the trough

Not much warmth under the ridge, not much cold under the trough - weird pattern if you ask me.

Old 12-18-2018, 04:20 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
The mild weather continues. Keep on, I have some gardening to do this weekend.

Old 12-18-2018, 04:25 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,215,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
My guess is that it's the difference between the cold and warm anomalies rather than the magnitude of each one (i.e. going from -10F to +5F would be a bigger warmup than going from 0 to +10F).

Hideous weather. Absolutely hideous - an excellent illustration* as to why one should be deep within the "white Christmas in average year" zone if one wants cold and snowy Christmases. Anywhere near the edge just isn't reliable enough - even an 80% chance means 2 out of 10 Christmases will be brown, and who needs that?

*Although the blowtorches a few years ago were far worse than this year will be; some models I've seen show snow across the entire Great Lakes watershed and upstate NY which wasn't the case the other years.

Yep. If I had to guess we're probably flipping back to the earlier cold/stormy pattern sometime in early January. If it's like most of the other years that have had December warmups and January cooldowns it likely will continue through February.

Not much warmth under the ridge, not much cold under the trough - weird pattern if you ask me.

Due to the quiet sun, I feel that the Midwest and Great Plains are in danger of becoming a subarctic climate, which is even worse than what anthropogenic climate change would have caused

Old 12-18-2018, 04:31 PM

30,430 posts, read 21,248,616 times
Plenty of cooler weather for my area and above normal clouds this month. Oct and Nov were a blazer and very dry and then this month is like the whole world changed. Near 6" of rain so far and more to come in about 2 days. I hope this can keep up until end of March.

Old 12-18-2018, 04:37 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,504,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Plenty of cooler weather for my area and above normal clouds this month. Oct and Nov were a blazer and very dry and then this month is like the whole world changed. Near 6" of rain so far and more to come in about 2 days. I hope this can keep up until end of March.

Are there any suitable weather stations on Wikipedia for your location? I reckon it's a bit warmer than Tampa Bay?

Old 12-18-2018, 04:53 PM

30,430 posts, read 21,248,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
Are there any suitable weather stations on Wikipedia for your location? I reckon it's a bit warmer than Tampa Bay?
I am a tiny bit cooler in the winter than the airport in Tampa where i used to live. But i am right on the gulf so i am warmer than inland temps by about 3 to 6 degrees. Not sure of any good weather stations around me. Tampabay is south southeast of me about 24 miles.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:35 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
tall waves coming to downstate NY; 14+ feet. would have a fun beach day except for the 2 inches of rain forecast

https://twitter.com/Eweather13/statu...43969150357504
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather