Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 11:46 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenderFrost View Post
All the more reason to get prepared now and experiment with sleeping in your own car whi!e in the safety and comfort of your home while it's still there.

On YouTube, there are hundred channels about people's experiences and tips with sleeping in the car.

I used to frown upon this concept in past too, but It's incredible how much more comfortable this is compared to hotels. It completely reverses the question into : "How much is your hotel going to pay me to sleep here? What? You want me to pay? Sir, you must be a comedian!" : )

It's one of those things you smash your head against the wall - why didn't i try this 20 years ago - any time your body requests a rest, you just pull over - no more waiting till getting to hotel , you actually enjoy the drive, save money and feel much better.

You can do 1,000 miles in 24 hours, at legal speeds, something impossible with hotels, since you're forced to check out and drive at rush hour with literally everybody else out there. Not so when you sleep in car - it makes it natural to cruise through empty roads at night and just sleep through rush hour...

And don't get me started on finding pet-friendly hotel...
People were out of their homes for a couple of weeks, even homes that weren't damaged, in towns with little damage. Again, they keep everyone out of the entire area for a long time, so that the areas that are damaged have clear roadways and they don't have to worry about looters of lookie-lou's. Again, the length of time they close the areas off and prevent people from returning is one of the reasons most frequently given on this thread for why people stay. I don't think it's reasonable for entire families, pets and all, to be sleeping in their car for weeks. I had a 2-seater car during Sandy along with spine problems (speaking of spine problems, in the rehabs down the shore we had more than a few elderly there for debility incurred from sleeping on shelter cots). If that is the answer, then we come back around to "why don't people evacuate?"

Also, where are they going? Not everyone has someone 1000 miles away they can drive to.

Most of the driving problems occur early on, when gas stations are out of gas, and, as in Rita, the highways are littered with cars out of gas. The only solution to that is to leave a week early, but they aren't accurate enough to know a week ahead of time where the storm is going. I evacuated to my niece's 100 miles inland in the storm before Sandy, and in the end her area got hit harder than the area I left. And if you do leave a week early, that again leaves the issue of jobs. You can't just leave a week ahead of every storm during hurricane season that looks like it's coming your way, I would not be able to afford to and most jobs would think you were nuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2018, 08:31 PM

575 posts, read 338,719 times
Families and spine issues certainly are not doable, but isn't majority of houses just singles anyway?

My proposal is only for those that are single, can't afford 2 weeks in hotel, and don't have anybody in driveable distance.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:56 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,381,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
There are several reasons. One is it's expensive and some just don't have the money to leave or they don't want to leave their pet if they aren't allowed to bring them to a public shelter. The other reason is that they know their property will be a prime target for looters and in the case of disasters like this, the law enforcement can't do much about the looters who will come in and destroy your property and take everything they can fit in their pants.
Do we have to pay for the cot or food & water, or soap and toothpaste, etc at the evacuation centers? I believe evacuation buses are available in case you do not have the resources to high-tail-it.

When you drown you do not have any further use for the possessions or the companionship of the cat so worrying about them is not going to save you and your family's lives.

Old 09-17-2018, 12:56 AM

3,345 posts, read 2,306,314 times
Its interesting someone would recommend riding out a hurricane in a car. And not in a building.

I would be curious whether Puerto Ricans wished they evacuated when they got the chance before Hurricane Maria left them in that devastation? Though I guess thats not a practical solution. Most of those in flood zones of the island did evacuate though to higher parts of the island.

As for flying out there are stories of many people stuck in Kansai Airport in Osaka trying to catch a flight out before Typhoon Jebi made landfall ending up having to ride it out in the airport. And the airport being built on infill land overwater end up becoming islands in water. The trapped travelers had to be evacuated by boat instead.
I could imagine what happens in airports like Honolulu where many parts of it are open air. Cat 5 Hurricane Lane was looming back then only in a twist of luck it weakened to a catagory 1 and avoided a direct hit on the islands.

Old 09-17-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Seriously? In which nirvana do you live. In SC, almost all businesses were open. The people who work at minimum wage jobs don't just take off. It's completely unreasonable to think it doesn't happen. You don't say where you live, but it isn't anywhere I've ever lived.
Remember Hurricane Katrina, because stores and pharmacies were abandoned people on the gulf coast couldn't get their basic everyday necessities by shopping at a store or get their health important and sometimes life saving medications from a pharmacy. As it was impossible to find people who worked the cash registers or Pharmacists who filled prescriptions. So places are often raided empty and destroyed not before the storm or even by the hurricane's flooding's but also by desperate residents who needed supplies to live. If they had personnel in it they would had made money rather than take a loss in this situation. Given the store is not in a zone that would definitely be washed away by flooding. Obviously if the shelves are already empty before the storm and there isn't medications for the Pharmacists to fill there would be no reason to stay open.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:10 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
I wanna know why people keep acting like the death toll for hurricanes is super high? Aside from Katrina, most hurricanes from the past 60 years don't have astronomical death tolls. Katrina was a beast of its own, but Wilma, which was also very powerful and came two months after, only 62 people. Sandy only took 138 (and it hit the most populated part of the country with astronomical force) Andrew only took 65. Harvey was bad but only took 88. A lot of people, but not as much considering the populations that get affected as a whole. Yes, people die. But odds are in your favour as long as you follow common sense, and again, unless you're in a direct UBER flood path (like New Orleans and Houston, or beach towns like Key West or Cape Hatteras.) you probably won't die. You have a higher chance of death on the highway during evacuations. (we all know southerners can't drive worth a damn let alone in panic mode lol)

Hurricanes are catastrophic but death is easily avoided for most. You can't predict everything. An asteroid could hit us in 6 years for all we know, but common sense goes a long way, and believe it or not, its not that hard to hunker down as long as you're in a safer spot. Panic, helps no one. Except the reaper.

Old 09-17-2018, 06:40 PM

7,244 posts, read 7,066,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I wanna know why people keep acting like the death toll for hurricanes is super high? Aside from Katrina, most hurricanes from the past 60 years don't have astronomical death tolls. Katrina was a beast of its own, but Wilma, which was also very powerful and came two months after, only 62 people. Sandy only took 138 (and it hit the most populated part of the country with astronomical force) Andrew only took 65. Harvey was bad but only took 88. A lot of people, but not as much considering the populations that get affected as a whole. Yes, people die. But odds are in your favour as long as you follow common sense, and again, unless you're in a direct UBER flood path (like New Orleans and Houston, or beach towns like Key West or Cape Hatteras.) you probably won't die. You have a higher chance of death on the highway during evacuations. (we all know southerners can't drive worth a damn let alone in panic mode lol)

Hurricanes are catastrophic but death is easily avoided for most. You can't predict everything. An asteroid could hit us in 6 years for all we know, but common sense goes a long way, and believe it or not, its not that hard to hunker down as long as you're in a safer spot. Panic, helps no one. Except the reaper.
Do you think that might just be because given adequate warning the people who could have died didn't because they heeded the warning and got out of harms way?

No common sense.

Old 09-17-2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Do you think that might just be because given adequate warning the people who could have died didn't because they heeded the warning and got out of harms way?

No common sense.
Interesting I see these reports

25 deaths in Phillipines and China.
https://www.worldbulletin.net/asia-p...s-h205838.html

11 deaths
https://weather.com/storms/typhoon/n...oon-jebi-japan

I guess far eastern people are smarter?

These storms impact many many times more people than in the US yet the death toll in the US is many times higher?

Whats up with that? Or is there something wrong with the reporting system there?

Old 09-18-2018, 04:10 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Interesting I see these reports

25 deaths in Phillipines and China.
https://www.worldbulletin.net/asia-p...s-h205838.html

11 deaths
https://weather.com/storms/typhoon/n...oon-jebi-japan

I guess far eastern people are smarter?

These storms impact many many times more people than in the US yet the death toll in the US is many times higher?

Whats up with that? Or is there something wrong with the reporting system there?
That low a death toll for those countries, except Japan, is unusual. Typically the deaths from typhoons in the Philippines and China are in the hundreds if not thousands.

Old 09-18-2018, 05:17 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,284,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
That low a death toll for those countries, except Japan, is unusual. Typically the deaths from typhoons in the Philippines and China are in the hundreds if not thousands.
the death by the thousands in the Philippines is due to storm surge. people are not just familiar how storm surge works though the area was already hit early in the 1900s and again in 1991. they were evacuated to higher grounds but didnt expect the storm surge to be that high
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather