Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How great would Florida/Gulf Coast summers be without hurricanes or tornadoes?
A 7 22.58%
B 9 29.03%
C 3 9.68%
D 4 12.90%
F 8 25.81%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 05:26 PM

30,163 posts, read 20,881,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Whoops, I meant Irma.
Irma was down to a Cat 1 by the time it was a beam of Tampa. I got winds to around 70mph max as the center was a good 50 miles to my east. But did get 8" of rain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2018, 06:37 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,910,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Funny you mention Ohio because last year I googled United States cities with the least amount of natural disasters and the top two were in Ohio!
Huh? Blizzards are not a natural disaster? Give me a break.

Old 10-12-2018, 07:57 PM

797 posts, read 437,354 times
The real estate would be super expensive and it would be over-populated like California.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:03 PM

797 posts, read 437,354 times
Quote:
The million dollar question is: Are the hurricanes/tornadoes or the humidity worse? I think actually, among the people who've actually been to Florida or Gulf cities during the summer, the humidity is the least of their problems. The fear is losing their property in a catastrophic hurricane.

Many people who dismiss Florida because of the humidity have never actually been to Florida or the Gulf Coast. They experience the searing desert heat of Las Vegas or Phoenix, and then automatically assume that Florida must be even hotter than Phoenix because at least Phoenix is much drier than Florida. Having been to both the Gulf Coast and the Desert Southwest during the height of summer, I can assure you that the Gulf Coast/Florida is a walk in the park, heat-wise, compared to the Desert Southwest.

I would even say that Bakersfield, Fresno, and San Bernardino suffer heat waves far worse than anything you get on the Gulf.
I disagree. The dry heat of California is a completely different animal than the humid heat of FL.
I have lived in CA and visited Orlando area and to me the humidity in FL is the main problem, and the hurricanes are another.
I'd choose the earthquakes of Southern CA over the hurricanes of FL any day.
That said I am still considering moving to FL...

Old 10-12-2018, 09:18 PM

2,859 posts, read 1,938,091 times
Op spent two months in New Orleans during a cooler than normal summer and thinks it's always like that. Lol. I hope he goes back and visits again during a hot summer.
Gulf cities can get some brutal heat and heat lasts longer than inland California heat. Once you get past early-mid September, you usually dont have to worry about nasty heat in inland CA.

Old 10-12-2018, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
Op spent two months in New Orleans during a cooler than normal summer and thinks it's always like that. Lol. I hope he goes back and visits again during a hot summer.
Gulf cities can get some brutal heat and heat lasts longer than inland California heat. Once you get past early-mid September, you usually dont have to worry about nasty heat in inland CA.
It was a cooler than average summer that I spent in New Orleans, admittedly. However, I did experience plenty of days in the high 90s with 80 degree dew points, and they were still far preferable to inland California heat.

Old 10-12-2018, 11:34 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,532,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
I agree with the OP. The lack of hurricane and tornado activity while leaving all other climate factors alone would yield a perfect climate IMHO.

But you'd still have tropical diseases, parasites and pythons.

Old 10-12-2018, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
But you'd still have tropical diseases, parasites and pythons.
I know, but assuming you manage to stay healthy every summer, Florida summers feel far better than Desert Southwest heat.

Old 10-13-2018, 05:54 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,870,824 times
Summers along the Gulf are the worst. Hurricanes are a concern, but it’s mostly awful because of insane humidity. I am so glad to be somewhere with four real seasons and a summer that lasts weeks and not months. California has a dry, Mediterranean climate that is much different. Summers inland can get hot, but never brutally so like in Gulf South.

I don’t really understand why some people hate the cold so much. There isn’t anything you can do to make 80+ degree dew point weather pleasant. They make coats that will keep you warm past forty below.

Old 10-13-2018, 06:04 AM

15,199 posts, read 10,172,132 times
Quote:
Huh? Blizzards are not a natural disaster? Give me a break.

The article said "least", not that there were none.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather