Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How great would Florida/Gulf Coast summers be without hurricanes or tornadoes?
A 7 22.58%
B 9 29.03%
C 3 9.68%
D 4 12.90%
F 8 25.81%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 09:08 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,958,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
The article said "least", not that there were none.
The area with the "least" amount of natural disasters would be California. Yes, there are earthquakes, but it's been an awful long time since a big one hit.

While blizzards happen in Ohio every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Summers along the Gulf are the worst. Hurricanes are a concern, but it’s mostly awful because of insane humidity. I am so glad to be somewhere with four real seasons and a summer that lasts weeks and not months. California has a dry, Mediterranean climate that is much different. Summers inland can get hot, but never brutally so like in Gulf South.

I don’t really understand why some people hate the cold so much. There isn’t anything you can do to make 80+ degree dew point weather pleasant. They make coats that will keep you warm past forty below.
I have experienced temps in the high 90s with 80+ degree dew points in the Gulf, and it is certainly preferable to 100+ degree heat in the Desert Southwest with bone-dry dew points of 50 or below.

Low dew points come with their own problems: nasal congestion, dandruff, nosebleeds, which I think is worse than being sweaty from humidity. As others on city data have said, it's very often overcast during the summer in Florida/The Gulf, so the sunlight is not as intense as it is in the dry heat of the desert southwest.

Also, I love the warm nights of the Gulf. I love it when it's 80 degrees at sunrise. In many parts of Inland California, the temps drop sharply at night. A 100 degree day turns into a 55 degree early morning. I'm baking during the day and freezing during the early morning.

Then there's the abundant vegetation of the Gulf that is incredibly green, even during the height of summer, thanks to all the summer rain. There's the dramatic thunderstorms and lovely "liquid sun," when it's raining and sunny at the same time. It NEVER rains in the summer in inland California. Things turn very dry, brown, and dead the whole summer. It's bland, sunny day after bland, sunny day.

I'm not alone. I met someone who's visited Tampa often during the summer and he said he found the heat there more bearable than the heat in Sacramento, because the summer rain in Tampa cools things off. PLUS, the summer rain keeps the air in Florida much cleaner than Los Angeles, which suffers from smog, especially during the rainless summers.

Yes, there is plenty you can do to make 80+ degree dew point days pleasant. Get a house with good insulation, plant trees all around it, get shades for the windows. Run your AC in your house and car. Sleep in gym shorts and breathable, quick-dry shirts at night. Sleep without a blanket. Wear flip-flops in the warm rain.

Old 10-13-2018, 10:48 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,694,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
The area with the "least" amount of natural disasters would be California. Yes, there are earthquakes, but it's been an awful long time since a big one hit.

While blizzards happen in Ohio every year.
How would you like it when hundreds of acres of land including homes are burnt down due to the dry conditions? It's partially a natural disaster because sometimes the large fires can be caused by lightning but more often they are man made disasters.

Dry heat is also bad for skins, anyone that comes from CA often have bad dry skin and wrinkles.

Old 10-13-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
How would you like it when hundreds of acres of land including homes are burnt down due to the dry conditions? It's partially a natural disaster because sometimes the large fires can be caused by lightning but more often they are man made disasters.

Dry heat is also bad for skins, anyone that comes from CA often have bad dry skin and wrinkles.
This is true. Dry skin is worse than being sweaty from humidity.

Old 10-13-2018, 01:35 PM

30,424 posts, read 21,234,977 times
Quote:
This is true. Dry skin is worse than being sweaty from humidity.
I agree. Could never live out west with 110 degree temps.

Old 10-13-2018, 03:45 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,921,164 times
Quote:
I have experienced temps in the high 90s with 80+ degree dew points in the Gulf, and it is certainly preferable to 100+ degree heat in the Desert Southwest with bone-dry dew points of 50 or below.

Low dew points come with their own problems: nasal congestion, dandruff, nosebleeds, which I think is worse than being sweaty from humidity. As others on city data have said, it's very often overcast during the summer in Florida/The Gulf, so the sunlight is not as intense as it is in the dry heat of the desert southwest.

Also, I love the warm nights of the Gulf. I love it when it's 80 degrees at sunrise. In many parts of Inland California, the temps drop sharply at night. A 100 degree day turns into a 55 degree early morning. I'm baking during the day and freezing during the early morning.

Then there's the abundant vegetation of the Gulf that is incredibly green, even during the height of summer, thanks to all the summer rain. There's the dramatic thunderstorms and lovely "liquid sun," when it's raining and sunny at the same time. It NEVER rains in the summer in inland California. Things turn very dry, brown, and dead the whole summer. It's bland, sunny day after bland, sunny day.

I'm not alone. I met someone who's visited Tampa often during the summer and he said he found the heat there more bearable than the heat in Sacramento, because the summer rain in Tampa cools things off. PLUS, the summer rain keeps the air in Florida much cleaner than Los Angeles, which suffers from smog, especially during the rainless summers.

Yes, there is plenty you can do to make 80+ degree dew point days pleasant. Get a house with good insulation, plant trees all around it, get shades for the windows. Run your AC in your house and car. Sleep in gym shorts and breathable, quick-dry shirts at night. Sleep without a blanket. Wear flip-flops in the warm rain.
At some point it comes down to personal preference. As someone with a mold allergy, I'll take the dry heat of the Southwest of the moist heat of the Gulf south, albeit just barely. As someone who moved from Louisiana to California, the dryness definitely affected me for the first year, but after that I was better overall. My allergies were much less annoying in California. I prefer four seasons, preferably with cool summers.

And yes, there isn't much vegetation in the desert parts of California. There's plenty along the coasts, though. California has the largest, the tallest, and the oldest trees in the world. It's only when move inland that it starts to get bone dry. I'll agree that California weather is boring; but then so was Louisiana weather.

Old 10-13-2018, 10:04 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,181,267 times
Gulf Coast SUMMERS are great.

Old 10-14-2018, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
Gulf Coast SUMMERS are great.
If you like little rain and dew points of 74 to 82 and lows of 75 to 84f than would be just the right weather for you i guess. You would love where i live on the gulf.

Old 10-14-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
If you like little rain and dew points of 74 to 82 and lows of 75 to 84f than would be just the right weather for you i guess. You would love where i live on the gulf.
Where are you? South Padre Island? Corpus Christi? Brownsville?

Old 10-14-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Where are you? South Padre Island? Corpus Christi? Brownsville?
No even close. West coast of FL in Pasco county right on the gulf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather