Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 06:10 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,022,888 times

Advertisements

Can someone tell me what exactly a ice storm is,I seem to hear about them on the forums.What states get these most often and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 06:19 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,041,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
Can someone tell me what exactly a ice storm is,I seem to hear about them on the forums.What states get these most often and why?
Ice storms happen when a warm cloud rains above a layer of colder air. This lowers the temperature of the droplets to below zero, however it remains in liquid form. The droplets freeze into ice on impact when they fall onto a surface the temperature of which is close to, or below, freezing. The ice starts to build up on roads, trees, cars, powerlines, etc. Tree branches and powerlines often snap from the winds that can accompany the storms and essentially, the storm leaves quite a mess in it's wake. And of course, it takes forever for help to arrive because the cars and roads are all frozen.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:31 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,436,311 times
Wow, CMTAD is a hard act to follow.

I don't know exactly which northeastern states are prone to ice storms, but the states directly south of me have them often. They're too cold to have just rain and they're often too warm for it to snow. Kansas, Ok, Mo., and Ark. are some of the states that have them often.

We've actually had ice storms way up here. A few years ago we had one right after Thanksgiving and it was a rough one. It took weeks for everyone's electricity to be restored.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:46 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,041,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Wow, CMTAD is a hard act to follow.

I don't know exactly which northeastern states are prone to ice storms, but the states directly south of me have them often. They're too cold to have just rain and they're often too warm for it to snow. Kansas, Ok, Mo., and Ark. are some of the states that have them often.

We've actually had ice storms way up here. A few years ago we had one right after Thanksgiving and it was a rough one. It took weeks for everyone's electricity to be restored.
Thanks so much.

In the northeast, upstate New York, Massachusettes, Vermont, northern Connecticut and Maine have the most problems with ice storms. I'm in southeastern New York when we have ice storms maybe once every three or four years. Because of our particular location, we usually have melting later the same day so it's not the issue that it can be in the areas I mentioned above.

Charley

Old 04-04-2008, 08:40 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,489,303 times
We've get them here in NH. Here are some pics of our storms. You can see how the ice just creeps into the road limiting how much driving room you have.. Driving is a hazard and sometimes just steping on your front porch is one too.. I can do without them

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/Tarastomsgirl/DigitalCamera205.jpg (broken link)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/Tarastomsgirl/DigitalCamera169.jpg (broken link)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/Tarastomsgirl/DigitalCamera208.jpg (broken link)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/Tarastomsgirl/perfectice.jpg (broken link)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/Tarastomsgirl/DigitalCamera201-1.jpg (broken link)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/Tarastomsgirl/carinice.jpg (broken link)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/Tarastomsgirl/DigitalCamera193-1.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-04-2008, 12:38 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,022,888 times
thanks everyone that answered, and those are some cool pics too.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:13 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,264,571 times
That question prmpted me to dig deeper and leaner what the difference was between ice storms and freezing rain. Neither of which I'm fond of

Old 04-04-2008, 04:15 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
Quote:
thanks everyone that answered, and those are some cool pics too.
You should see it in person, its really amazing looking. Im not the biggest fan of ice storms, but I can live with em. Anyways, the next day is amazing looking, like everything is made of crystal or glass, really beautiful. An added bonus is when the sun shines the next morning, makes everything sparkle, like youre living in a crazy dream or something.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:39 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,664,202 times
Quote:
You may hear reference to the great ice storm of '98 that knocked over powerlines in a large part of Maine and eastern Canada. An ice storm happens when warm wet air aloft falls as rain and makes it all the way to the ground as water then freezes on contact with the ground. Trees, houses, roads etc. are all below the freezing mark and stay there as the supercool water freezes and puts an ever building layer of ice on everything.
In severe cases such as the '98 storm here in Maine the ice got so thick and heavy it took out powerlines all over the state. Even large high tension towers collapsed. Trees were snapped in half from the weight by the tens of thousands. Roads were impassible for weeks. Roofs collapsed and people had to do without power for up to three weeks before all areas could be restored. We lost power at our house for over a week. Ice storms can be really nasty....but real pretty too.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:14 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,185,226 times
I swear, Oklahoma must have ice storms the most of anywhere in the country. We almost always get two events per year, sometimes three and at least one of them is bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather