Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 03:28 PM

136 posts, read 123,702 times

Advertisements

Here in coastal Los Angeles October and November are usually warm, with very clear, sunny days and cool nights. December-February we get rain, the hills turn a bright green, temperatures are warm to mild (66-72 with occasional 80s) during the day and cool at night (50s)
Early March things start to warm up and flowers bloom, April is always really nice.

Coastal Southern California really doesn't have much temperature variation year round, it really is warm-mild all the time, hence all the tropical flora ew can grow here. <---- this ONLY applies to coastal areas of Southern California, inland areas do get more seasonal variation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 07:50 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
For decades now I’ve been living in the countryside, in the Lower Midwest. Despite now being an “experienced” rural denizen, I’ve never adapted. My house is never properly heated. In the winter, my driveway gets snowed in. I have no mechanical implement, and am forced to shovel by hand – not a delightful proposition. Fall and spring are interminably rainy, and my basement leaks (the house is poorly designed, and even more poorly built). Wind-storms down trees, sometimes damaging my property.

Most of the US is beset with extremes. Lovers of “all 4 seasons” have much cause for rejoicing! Personally I’d rather that it never be colder than 40 deg F, or warmer than 80 deg F… that there be drizzle, but never torrential rain. Direct sunlight annoys me, as do the icy winds. I’d much prefer the climate of coastal Western Europe, and especially southern England.

Our part of the Midwest is sufficiently far south, that summers are long and humid. But it’s sufficiently far north, to get “polar vortices” and sub-zero (deg F) bursts, seemingly every year. Sharp variations abound… 0 deg one day, 45 the next. Just as one gets acclimated to a thick coat, hat and gloves, it warms up…just as one rejoices in putting away the heavy gear, back come the snows and bone-chilling wind.

Did I mention that I hate wind?

Every fall, it amazes me, how long and tenaciously summer hangs on. Then, after a couple of weeks of transitional weather, the nighttime lows fall below freezing. Likewise, April snow is not uncommon (Exhibit A was the spring of 2018). But then, a couple of weeks later, it’s well into the 80s. So, I retract my statement about having all 4 seasons; there really are only 2! Cold and blustery winter, hot and humid summer.

For all of the many fine reasons for living in America, the weather isn’t one of them.
A bit over dramatic. I live in Minnesota which is way more harsh in weather than Ohio, especially winter, and theres definitely the 4 seasons here and theyre very enjoyable in different ways. Spring and fall are volatile yes but theyre also extremely beautiful. In the spring theres a greenery that's unbelievable and an insane amount of flowers. In the fall theres a beautiful Norman Rockwellian landscape of red, yellow and orange. And I love the dramatic change in the weather, too.

Old 11-05-2018, 05:27 PM

397 posts, read 319,351 times
I live in South Florida. Which is why I actually prefer November-April to May-October. October is actually the most humid month here. April is the least humid. January-February have the coolest temperatures, although still warm-to-hot except for the occasional cold front.

Old 11-06-2018, 05:51 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,182,229 times
I live in Tennessee, north of Nashville near the Kentucky state line. The "most comfortable" times of the year are the second half of October to the first half of November and the end of March through the whole of April.

The May - September period of the year is usually warm to hot, although mild days aren't uncommon in early-mid May or late September.

Interesting to note, every month in the October - April period has seen snow during my lifetime (although the only October snow was on October 31, and in the first year of my life).

Old 11-07-2018, 11:26 AM

1,965 posts, read 1,266,781 times
Would be far more bearable if it weren't for wild undulations with the jet stream. I'm sick of cold snaps in the Southern US.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:06 AM

575 posts, read 339,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
Would be far more bearable if it weren't for wild undulations with the jet stream. I'm sick of cold snaps in the Southern US.
And What qualifies for a cold snap there? 20 ?

Like, Plus 20 F ? Don't suppose there's a lot of days when it's -20, right?

Old 11-08-2018, 12:36 PM

245 posts, read 142,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenderFrost View Post
And What qualifies for a cold snap there? 20 ?

Like, Plus 20 F ? Don't suppose there's a lot of days when it's -20, right?
If they got frost=cold snap.

Old 11-08-2018, 02:45 PM

434 posts, read 1,041,023 times
I define a cold snap in the south or at least in Atlanta, when temperatures are a good bit below normal. They even can happen in October, the average high in late October is 68-70ish, so if we have a couple days with 50s for highs and 30s for lows that would be a cold snap. They happen in April as well...70s is the average high so if we have days like 50/32, 55/34, its a cold snap. We are about to have a cold snap in Atlanta for all of next week(starting this weekend) it looks like, average high/low this part of November is 65ish 45ish, Friday Nov 9 to Thurs Nov 15 current forecast is 60/37 52/35 54/41 48/46 49/32 45/31 52/34 with the burbs being cooler, my area actually has a chance for some wintry precip. Cold snaps in the winter are 31/17 37/20 type of weather as normal winter high lows are in the 50s/30s.

Last edited by Ericmrtt; 11-08-2018 at 03:26 PM..

Old 11-08-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleSec View Post
Here in coastal Los Angeles October and November are usually warm, with very clear, sunny days and cool nights. December-February we get rain, the hills turn a bright green, temperatures are warm to mild (66-72 with occasional 80s) during the day and cool at night (50s)
Early March things start to warm up and flowers bloom, April is always really nice.

Coastal Southern California really doesn't have much temperature variation year round, it really is warm-mild all the time, hence all the tropical flora ew can grow here. <---- this ONLY applies to coastal areas of Southern California, inland areas do get more seasonal variation.
Some of the best October-April weather is in Los Angeles(and pretty much all of SOCAL) imo. Go to Big Bear for some winter right...

Last edited by Ericmrtt; 11-08-2018 at 03:42 PM..

Old 11-13-2018, 03:31 PM

I find this temperature map pretty interesting for a November 13th afternoon/eveniing. All of Texas is chilly-cold, but more surprising all the way into a good bit of Mexico this cold front penetrated into this time of year(not sure if this is common in early-mid Nov for Mexico). And look at the east coast of The Gulf of California, mid 80s in Mazatlan but much cooler further inland. Also Tampico on the east coast of Mexico is well below average! Going back up to the US, you can see Atlanta is at 48 and Jacksonville Florida is 48 backwards, well...85.

This is why I created this thread...weather is just all over the place October through April in the United States(and most of North America), never know what you are going to get(well of course wintry cold/chill will come), no matter how far south you are. But further south and parts of the country will warm right back up, and Mexico will definitely warm back up, so its not too bad I guess.
Attached Thumbnails
October to April in the United States-november-13th-weather-map.png  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather