U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 09:54 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,102,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
We have green grass.....

Y'all have sand, dun kid yourself. Phoenix doesn't have the climate to support lushness. I'm talking about places in the Midwest. When we don't have snow in winter its just drabby looking. Looks like much of the south. Brown grass, no leaves, no snow. Still better than the desert, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
how about green grass? This was taken in January.

I know the PNW has green grass. I've beem there in winter before. But the thing is, I don't care for green grass either in winter lol. I don't wanna see ANY grass during the winter! But I'm talking about eastern temperate climates, not rainy coastal climates and definitely not desert climates. Places in the east, whether its the Midwest, inland South or Northeast. In the winter, we're gonna have mostly brown grass and the snow covers that up and makes it pretty and allows for winter activities. My point is whats the appeal of 15 degrees with brown grass and no snow, versus the SAME temperature, and snow to cover up the brown grass (and insulate it from the cold, nonethless)

Old 01-27-2019, 01:23 PM

16,909 posts, read 6,011,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Y'all have sand, dun kid yourself. Phoenix doesn't have the climate to support lushness. I'm talking about places in the Midwest. When we don't have snow in winter its just drabby looking. Looks like much of the south. Brown grass, no leaves, no snow. Still better than the desert, though.
Have you ever actually been here? Most places have grass here, especially in older neighborhoods in the city

Old 02-07-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Have you ever actually been here? Most places have grass here, especially in older neighborhoods in the city

Cuz they water them like hell. An environmental mess.

Old 02-07-2019, 01:39 PM

How can I not love snow when its so beautiful

Old 02-10-2019, 07:12 PM

12 posts, read 2,831 times
I've lived in warm weather places almost all my life with little to no snow (think Southern California, Deep South). So you'd think I'd hate the snow up here in Pittsburgh. But I love it. I want more of it--as long as the infrastructure can handle it (everything's plowed, there's heat in the buildings, salt on the streets, etc.). Honestly, the winters in Pittsburgh are not that much colder than the South, temperature wise. But you get snow in Pittsburgh, rather than rain all day. So the cold is more bearable. It's like, there's a reason why it's so cold outside--there's snow!

Snow reflects the light, so even on gloomy winter days it's brighter outside. There are also so many more ways you can play with snow than you can play with rain (no offense to people who like to jump in puddles).

Old 02-11-2019, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micahdebrink View Post
I've lived in warm weather places almost all my life with little to no snow (think Southern California, Deep South). So you'd think I'd hate the snow up here in Pittsburgh. But I love it. I want more of it--as long as the infrastructure can handle it (everything's plowed, there's heat in the buildings, salt on the streets, etc.). Honestly, the winters in Pittsburgh are not that much colder than the South, temperature wise. But you get snow in Pittsburgh, rather than rain all day. So the cold is more bearable. It's like, there's a reason why it's so cold outside--there's snow!

Snow reflects the light, so even on gloomy winter days it's brighter outside. There are also so many more ways you can play with snow than you can play with rain (no offense to people who like to jump in puddles).

I enjoy jumping in puddles too, but not as much as walking in deep snow. The only issue with snow is driving in snow and getting stuck. But thats what plows are for. This ain't Dixie, we got the infrastructure for it. We may be taxed to death here but we're grateful when a snowstorm comes and you can still get to work the next day lol. And despite harsh winters, the roads here are better than in some parts down south, like Louisiana. Go figure.

Its like, yea, there's snow. But its mostly laying on the ground after its stopped falling. It can be easily cleared with shovels/snowblowers/plows. It brightens up what is otherwise a season of slumber. Its sooo cozy too. I sleep like a baby when there's a foot of snow outside. It must be a psychological thing, but I have the best sleep when its snowy. Rainy too. Also, I LOVE seeing roofs with snow on them. A lot of snow. Its just such an aesthetic visual. I love snowdrifts, too. Every snowfall changes the scenery in a slightly different way, and the sun and shade can alter it in subtleties.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:04 AM

3,078 posts, read 1,675,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
But I'm talking about eastern temperate climates, not rainy coastal climates and definitely not desert climates.
Winter snow is preferable for me in our rainy coastal AK climate. it really brightens up the dark days and provides opportunities for many outdoor activities. I actually enjoy shoveling it! Snow blowers are for sissies.

Besides, we won't have green grass in winter whether it's raining or not as it goes dormant for the season. Lots of evergreen trees and green moss, but not grass.

Driving is optional, I'm not dependent on it here as pretty much everything is within walking distance. In any case, city streets are well plowed/maintained except when they can't keep on top of it during heavy snow events.

Old 02-12-2019, 03:52 PM

67,453 posts, read 49,342,299 times
I'm in love today.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:31 PM

2,563 posts, read 1,075,582 times
Looks lovely ^^^

We need a Snow Appreciation Society

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or