U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 08:06 PM

468 posts, read 96,079 times

Advertisements

Keep enough food on hand for being snowed in for a few days. Skiing! Snowshoeing! Kills off bugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 10:19 PM

2,357 posts, read 977,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Presumably they're adults, not students who are excused from classes because of snow. Folks here seem really crestfallen when they're not hammered yet probably many of them have jobs and need to navigate to work. Even retirees need to get out to MD appts., not to mention stores whose shelves are likely be depleted due to snow panic syndrome. Possible power outages can't be what's positive about snow. Is it the beauty of freshly-fallen snow. I get it, but that beauty is fleeting, like within a few days when the grime mixes in.

Is this query more appropriate to the psychology forum?
Maybe I have a different view on this as I grew up in a snow belt city, moved to the South for career reasons then took a pay cut temporarily to move back up to another snow belt city.

I do like the way snow looks visually and to me it isn't winter unless it snows...a lot and frequently. I have always enjoyed snow ever since I was a kid and still like snow, especially lake effect with the giant flakes.

I love the weather that goes along with the snow--crisp and cold. Something about the weather associated with snow just makes me feel good and I also love the cloudy winter skies.

I've been driving on this stuff since I was a teen and it doesn't bother me. I just leave the house earlier and adjust my driving based on road conditions. I've never had an accident due to my driving on snowy/wintry conditions.

It's rare that the power goes out due to snow; our power here is more likely to go out due to high winds associated with thunder storms.

This kind of thing puts me in a good mood

Neighbor after the snowstorm last year here

Driving home when the snow starts to fly again!

I am not into hurricanes, hail, or monsoon type weather but can somewhat understand why people might get into them.

What puzzles me is people who are into hot weather or dry weather. LOL

Old Yesterday, 06:09 AM

11,943 posts, read 8,326,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user491 View Post
You wouldn’t be going anywhere in the snow here. Your Vette wouldn’t even make it up a slight hill, let alone a steep one. Rear wheel drive is terrible in the snow.
I can't even hit from a roll without it going sideways on a dry road. I went too far with the mods and need to detune it back under 600hp. 450hp is the sweet spot for a street car. 6 months of cold and clouds is not for me.

Old Yesterday, 06:46 AM

6,800 posts, read 11,911,916 times
Love Marie Joseph's photos in post #12!

Here's one from me: this is my back yard on February 9, 2017, just after a snow storm:

That view is one of the reasons I BOUGHT this house in 2012. It is so peaceful and calming to me to be in a nice, warm house and look outside and see THAT. And this season, I have added 2 gas heaters (one upstairs, one downstairs) so I will still have heat in a power outage -- that is the ONLY thing that ever worries me about storms, but we very rarely lose power in my neighborhood. As someone else wrote, the light fluffy powdery snow does not cause outages -- and that's the kind we USUALLY get. The heavy, wet snow CAN cause outages but doesn't always, and we tend to get less of that where I live.

Old Yesterday, 06:56 AM

16,179 posts, read 9,969,116 times
Quote:
Presumably they're adults, not students who are excused from classes because of snow. Folks here seem really crestfallen when they're not hammered yet probably many of them have jobs and need to navigate to work. Even retirees need to get out to MD appts., not to mention stores whose shelves are likely be depleted due to snow panic syndrome. Possible power outages can't be what's positive about snow. Is it the beauty of freshly-fallen snow. I get it, but that beauty is fleeting, like within a few days when the grime mixes in.

Is this query more appropriate to the psychology forum?

I hate snow, never want to see it again in my lifetime. But, when I was married, my wife loved the first snowfall and would make us get bundled up and go for a long walk in it. I have no idea what the attraction was, but she thought it was beautiful, at least for that first snow.

Must have been something from her childhood memories, I guess.

Old Yesterday, 07:21 AM

13,001 posts, read 6,580,491 times
Remember the conditional statement in the song "Let it Snow": since we've no place to go. Very important condition that it's even manifested in art pertaining to snow.

I see the OP's perspective. TBH, if I see a forecast of snow during the workweek, I am not terribly enthusiastic. But it really depends. It can actually be fun to drive in snow, for me at least, but it totally depends on circumstances. I'm a bit adventurous, in that respect. During our November 15, 2018 snowstorm we had, my commute home was somewhat delayed due to snowy and slushy roads, but nothing NEAR the absolute traffic nightmare that was North Jersey for that particular event. It's astonishing that in an area of the country that gets regular snow accumulation, that a few inches would paralyze the state like that. People blame the government's complacency, but it seems there was more to the entire traffic dynamic that we have not really been ascertained, but would be interesting to study in an academic context.

On the other hand, the joys of snow when travel are not involved are clear. Primarily, the appeal is the aesthetic value of snow. I also like it because I prefer the status of my climate as a place that gets regular snow. A lot of people around the world do not live in such a climate, so I guess that also makes me appreciate it.

Old Yesterday, 08:38 AM

12,947 posts, read 9,669,602 times
During the winter, we live in Park City Utah -- home to world class ski resorts. I've measured well over 400 inches of snow in my driveway (thankfully not all at once!). Farther up the mountain, of course, they get as much as double that amount.

Winter snow enables winter sports. We love to ski. Actually, as I type this, we are on a ski vacation from our winter ski vacation - we're in Breckenridge, CO.

So far this season, I've skied about 140,000 vertical feet - and our home mountain (Deer Valley) hasn't even opened yet. It opens tomorrow.

The more snow, the better. There are few feelings as wonderful has skiing a back bowl the morning after a foot or two of fresh pow. In the best of times, you need a snorkel to breath as the rooster tail of snow coming off the tip of your powder skis flies above your head and into your face.

Last edited by SportyandMisty; Yesterday at 08:49 AM..

Old Yesterday, 09:23 AM

19,156 posts, read 3,960,793 times
Whoo hoo....snowing in NC, expecting 12-24 inches...

Old Yesterday, 09:50 AM

65,939 posts, read 48,080,897 times
Quote:
Trying To Understand The Snow Lovers
So have we helped you understand it so far?

Old Yesterday, 10:18 AM

2,580 posts, read 4,509,927 times
I live in Western WA state and we don't get snow too often here - maybe 3-4 times a winter, and the most I've seen since I moved here in 2010 is about 4". It usually melts pretty fast, too. If it hangs around more than a few days, that's unusual.

I like snow, so I'm like a little kid when it snows here, sending pictures to my best friend back in MD where I grew up. She must think I'm crazy to get so excited about it. I live right by a wooded 25-mile long paved trail, and when it snows, I'm out there walking on it enjoying the beauty of the snow-covered trees.

What I DON'T like is ice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or