U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 11:16 AM

4,766 posts, read 3,110,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
So have we helped you understand it so far?

Guess you guys are young, or at least young at heart, whereas I'm a geezer.

But the last time I liked snow was in college, and classes were cancelled due to snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2018, 12:20 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,394,565 times
For me living in the south and previously growing up on the coast its a novelty I wish I had more of. Something exciting about it, even more so with the holidays. But my snow melts anywhere between immediately and 2 or 3 days and typically we're around 60's+ degrees within a week. If it lasted all winter long I am sure I would be tired of it quickly & be worried and frustrated with the salt on my cars. I think I enjoy it most as event is unfolding and I pass those critical moments of changing rain to frozen precip type and when it starts accumulating.

Old 12-08-2018, 12:28 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,784,719 times
I love the quietness of taking a short walk when it's snowing. No sounds, just peaceful. Time to think or reflect on things. Or to just do nothing but enjoy it.

Old 12-08-2018, 12:37 PM

190 posts, read 72,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
It's not just the snow that's appealing.

It's also extreme cold, like subzero temps and other adverse conditions that drastically change the flow of everyday life, and force you to take precautions that you otherwise wouldn't.

Personally I love all of that (shoveling included). I would hate to live in a warm climate devoid of any of that. Sounds like ass.
A thousand times this. Lived in Southern California for years and hated the searing heat that never really goes away. Love cold and snow. And we are prepped for it (plenty of food, water, gasoline, generator, etc.) At least we can prepare for it, unlike fire storms and huge earthquakes.

Old 12-08-2018, 12:53 PM

2,255 posts, read 1,627,835 times
I would prefer cold and snowy weather over cold and dry weather, Iíll say that much. If it is a deep cold dominated snowless winter, that would make the bitter cold all the more intolerable, besides that, snow cover beautifies an otherwise grey, brown and dead looking landscape, which is also a bonus IMHO

Old 12-08-2018, 01:50 PM

4,189 posts, read 2,963,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoma View Post
For me living in the south and previously growing up on the coast its a novelty I wish I had more of. Something exciting about it, even more so with the holidays. But my snow melts anywhere between immediately and 2 or 3 days and typically we're around 60's+ degrees within a week. If it lasted all winter long I am sure I would be tired of it quickly & be worried and frustrated with the salt on my cars. I think I enjoy it most as event is unfolding and I pass those critical moments of changing rain to frozen precip type and when it starts accumulating.
Similar here. Wish we had more snow.

I hardly saw snow as a kid, but it's been more frequent here over the past decade.

Old 12-08-2018, 04:29 PM

1,310 posts, read 520,345 times
I'll take my dry heat over snow any day.

Old 12-08-2018, 07:05 PM

15,813 posts, read 8,277,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Presumably they're adults, not students who are excused from classes because of snow. Folks here seem really crestfallen when they're not hammered yet probably many of them have jobs and need to navigate to work. Even retirees need to get out to MD appts., not to mention stores whose shelves are likely be depleted due to snow panic syndrome. Possible power outages can't be what's positive about snow. Is it the beauty of freshly-fallen snow. I get it, but that beauty is fleeting, like within a few days when the grime mixes in.

Is this query more appropriate to the psychology forum?
It's mystifying to me why so many people like snow when you factor in the negative consequences of shoveling the stuff, sliding around in your car, slipping down. Well, it is pretty when it's first falling then it gets nasty. I probably do like a snowy climate a bit better than the Seattle gray weather we have

Old 12-08-2018, 07:14 PM

15,680 posts, read 29,482,300 times
I can't tell you what is good about it. But I sure can they'll you what isn't. Taking 20 minutes to put on adequate clothing before you go outside.

Old 12-08-2018, 07:55 PM

7,442 posts, read 2,343,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Presumably they're adults, not students who are excused from classes because of snow. Folks here seem really crestfallen when they're not hammered yet probably many of them have jobs and need to navigate to work. Even retirees need to get out to MD appts., not to mention stores whose shelves are likely be depleted due to snow panic syndrome. Possible power outages can't be what's positive about snow. Is it the beauty of freshly-fallen snow. I get it, but that beauty is fleeting, like within a few days when the grime mixes in.

Is this query more appropriate to the psychology forum?
When I was in grade school, it was a joyful time, when snow or ice closed the schools. It meant a day of sledding or skiing down the hills, rather than sitting in a class, hearing a teacher droning on about things you'd learned a couple of years before. But as an adult, I dislike the snow, as it impairs my ability to run or ride a bicycle. If it brings down trees or caves-in my roof, I have to deal with it or pay out money, instead of letting the adults handle it.

I remember one time in my twenties, we had 4 feet of snow here and it locked my car into the parking lot, where I was visiting two gorgeous female friends. I had to sleep-over at their place for two nights. Such hardships!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or