U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 08:28 AM

4,807 posts, read 3,162,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Presumably they're adults, not students who are excused from classes because of snow. Folks here seem really crestfallen when they're not hammered yet probably many of them have jobs and need to navigate to work. Even retirees need to get out to MD appts., not to mention stores whose shelves are likely be depleted due to snow panic syndrome. Possible power outages can't be what's positive about snow. Is it the beauty of freshly-fallen snow. I get it, but that beauty is fleeting, like within a few days when the grime mixes in.

Is this query more appropriate to the psychology forum?

At the present stage of life, my biggest problem with snow is its removal. Farmer Johnny across the road is only too happy to show up reliably to collect his $$$ and that's great for me too .... but he uses a humongous front end loader with scraper attached to the rear, and tears up a lot of sod and knocks down the snow stakes I put in. He has also dug up chunks of asphalt occasionally

Every spring I need to repair the sod damage with dirt from one of my wife's old flower gardens that I keep weeded in the warm months solely for repairing his damage.

Can't say anything to him because he knows that getting reliable residential service simply doesn't happen out here, and I'm too damn old to get the correct sized pickup with an adequate transmission and axle and to hook-up/take down the blade, add the ballast, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 08:40 AM

728 posts, read 1,232,470 times
As an adult in my mid 30s despite the issues it brings, I'll take snow over freezing rain and severe thunderstorms 24/7.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:31 AM

2,002 posts, read 696,969 times
I love the snow. Everything about it. I fire up the snowblower and clean it off if it's a decent accumulation and use the shovel if it's something light. Driving in it is fun, just gotta be aware of the other drivers as many feel they can drive in snow the same as a dry road. Love the way a fresh snowfall changes the landscape. The only thing that's been getting to me is the cold. Last 2-3 years or so, I've felt the cold in my bones more than I remember feeling when I was younger.

Old 12-09-2018, 02:29 PM

5,167 posts, read 2,333,243 times
Over half a century of enduring this snow/blizzards..it lost its luster in my heart bout 15 yrs ago...
I now understand how exhausting it is to shovel out the car...what used to be a half hour...now gets done in phases...heart and thermia..
Can't stand winter sports ..be it ice skating or sking. ..so it serves no positive fun. Although watching my grandkids sled is hilarious!

Not at any time during my sunny island stays did I ever miss snow...nope! Not a once. Even enjoyed a tropic storm..but snow...nope. .wasn't on my list of things I care for.
And yes it takes a "special " kinda "special" to thrive in ice/cold/snow...

Old 12-09-2018, 03:57 PM

546 posts, read 221,676 times
I love the snow - the colder, the better!

No bugs.
No mud.
No sweating.
No mowing, raking, weeding, or mulching.

What's not to love? Maybe the heating bill. :-)

Old 12-09-2018, 04:29 PM

4,062 posts, read 3,061,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Presumably they're adults, not students who are excused from classes because of snow. Folks here seem really crestfallen when they're not hammered yet probably many of them have jobs and need to navigate to work. Even retirees need to get out to MD appts., not to mention stores whose shelves are likely be depleted due to snow panic syndrome. Possible power outages can't be what's positive about snow.
With a little preparedness it's entirely possible to go about one's normal life despite snowfall, you know, unless we're talking massive blizzards, or living in an area where snow is very unusual and there's no infrastructure to handle it.

Old 12-09-2018, 05:17 PM

5,789 posts, read 3,557,892 times
Snow is beautiful and I love to see it where it belongs, which is off in the distance on the mountains. If I really want to experience being IN snow, I can be there in 90 minutes. Stay as long as I like, and then come home.

When I was growing up here in California, I used to think it would be so fun to live where it snowed. And it probably would have been, when I was a kid. The older I get the more grateful I am to live where it doesn't snow but I can access it when I want to.

Old 12-09-2018, 09:36 PM

16,434 posts, read 12,845,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Snow is beautiful and I love to see it where it belongs, which is off in the distance on the mountains. If I really want to experience being IN snow, I can be there in 90 minutes. Stay as long as I like, and then come home.

When I was growing up here in California, I used to think it would be so fun to live where it snowed. And it probably would have been, when I was a kid. The older I get the more grateful I am to live where it doesn't snow but I can access it when I want to.
Similar to where I am - have snow within about 10 minutes several times a winter, can be skiing in 70 minutes, and can see snow about 10 months of the year, but only experience down here about once every 34 years ( and even then less than an inch)

The ideal winter climate as far as I'm concerned -can have a freshly squeezed orange juice from the trees in the garden, and go for a ski at lunchtime. Could even have a surf after skiing.

Old 12-10-2018, 02:53 PM

9,627 posts, read 8,685,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHNot4Me View Post
I love the snow - the colder, the better!

No bugs.
No mud.
No sweating.
No mowing, raking, weeding, or mulching.

What's not to love? Maybe the heating bill. :-)
Dry skin
Lack of sunlight
Crazy drivers and driving conditions
Lack of greenery

Old 12-10-2018, 05:39 PM

12,394 posts, read 8,496,368 times
I saw it 2 times. Once in Tampa on Jan 19th 1977 and in Dallas in Jan of 82. I can't care less if ever see it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or