Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 10:18 PM

524 posts, read 484,822 times

Advertisements

I was inspired by QIDb602's thread to make one on my own climate classification system that I created a while back.

TL;DR- basically a mashup of Köppen and Trewartha with a more nuanced precipitation threshold.

The main distinguishing feature or innovation of my system is that the semi-arid and arid climates are automatically assigned to a primary temperature regime (tropical, subtropical, etc.) The second major innovation is temperature-based subcategories for Tropical climates to better distinguish altitude levels and heat regimes.

I think it's important to create a climate classification system centered around human comfort and survivability, especially in a world that is facing rapid and unpredictable climate change in the foreseeable future.

First Letter- primary temperature letter (focused on coldest month). I used 10 C as a threshold for subtropical climates because it's already used to define growth seasons in subpolar and polar climates.

A = Tropical: all months > 18 C

B = Subtropical: all months > 10 C, coldest month < 18 C

C = Temperate: 4-11 months > 10 C, coldest month -3 C to 10 C

D = Continental: > 3 months > 10 C, coldest month < -3 C

E = Subarctic/Subalpine: <= 3 months > 10 C

O = Polar/Alpine: all months < 10 C

OT = Polar Tundra (at least 1 month > 0 C)
OF = Polar Ice Cap (all months < 0 C)

Second Letter- precipitation letter. The dry-summer and dry-winter thresholds are the same as Köppen's. I got the idea to change the tropical rainforest climate threshold from Bisfbath's Af/BSh thread.

For dry climates:
- R = arid (Gk. xeRos): actual precip. less than 0.5 of precip. threshold
- Z = semi-arid (Gk. aZaleos): actual precip. between 0.5-1.0 of precip. threshold
For tropical:
- f = rainforest: different from Köppen (<= 3 months <100 mm, instead of all months >60 mm)
- m = monsoon: same as Köppen (driest month greater than (100-(total/25)) mm)
- w = savanna: same as Köppen (driest month less than (100-(total/25)) mm)
- s = same as above but with summer dry season
For non-tropical:
- s = dry summer: (wettest month > 3 * driest month, driest month < 40 mm)
- w = dry winter: (wettest month > 10 * driest month)
- f = default: no other conditions are fulfilled

Third Letter- secondary temperature (focused on warmest month). I added a third letter for Tropical climates to distinguish between equatorial climates (which have virtually no seasonal temperature variation) and non-equatorial tropical climates, and to distinguish very hot tropical climates (>28 C) like those found in the Asian continent.

For tropical:
- A = very hot: coldest month > 22.5 C AND annual average > 28 C
- e = equatorial: average monthly temp range < 3 C
- E = very hot equatorial: equatorial if annual average > 28 C
- b = cool: annual average < 22.5 C [optional]
- a = default: does not fit any of the other categories

For non-tropical:
- a = hot-summer: hottest month > 22.5 C
- b = warm-summer: hottest month 10 C - 22.5 C

For subpolar/subalpine only:
- b = equatorial: coldest month > 6 C [optional]
- c = maritime: coldest month -3 C to 6 C
- d = continental: coldest month < -3 C

For polar/alpine only [optional]:
- m = mild: coldest month > -3 C

Precipitation threshold: adjusted for average annual temperature and seasonality. The threshold increases faster at higher temperatures due to higher potential evapotranspiration and increased risk of desertification.

Let threshold Q be a function of T and U where T = average annual temperature and U = (sun-high season precip)/(annual precip).

if (T < 10 C) {Q = 100 + 10*T}
else if (T < 20 C) {Q = 200 + 20*(T-10)}
else if (T < 30 C) {Q = 300 + 30*(T-20)}
else {Q = 400 + 40*(T-30)}

if (U < 0.1) {Q += 0}
else if (U < 0.9) {Q += 350*(U-0.1)}
else {Q += 280}

If the threshold Q < 0 then the climate is non-dry by default.

Optional "extreme" designation:

For tropical: >= 6 months average temp > 32 C, must fulfill conditions for third letter A or E
Created with the Red Sea and Persian Gulf regions in mind. Could feasibly appear in South Asia under extreme warming scenarios

For subtropical: >= 3 months average temp > 32 C
Created with the Greater Sahara region and West + South Asia in mind. Could feasibly appear in China under extreme warming scenarios

For subpolar/subalpine: coldest month < -35 C
Created with the Russian Far East in mind, hypothetical category for hyper-continental high-latitude climates

For polar/alpine: coldest month < -50 C, >= 3 months < -40 C
Created with Antarctica in mind, hypothetical category for continental ice sheets

Examples:

London: Cfb
New York City: Cfa
Beijing: Dwa
Dubai: ARa/ARA
Hong Kong: Bwa
Paris: Cfb
Shanghai: Cfa
Singapore: Afe/AfE
Sydney: Bfa
Tokyo: Cfa
Bangkok: AmA/AmE
Istanbul: Csa
Los Angeles: Bsa/BZa
Mexico City: Bwb
Moscow: Dfb
Madrid: Csa
Miami: Awa
Johannesburg: Cwb
Lisbon: Bsa
Montreal: Dfb/Dfa
Riyadh: [xtrm] BRa
Santiago: CZb/Csb

Spoiler

BONUS-
Lima: BRb
Vostok: [xtrm] OF
Yakutsk: [xtrm] Efd
Dallol: [xtrm] ARA
Hyderabad India: Awa/AZa
Hyderabad Pakistan: [xtrm] BRa/ARa

Last edited by psyche_da_mike24; 03-25-2019 at 11:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 10:32 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Not seeing commonality in one C climate that has 4 months >10C, and winters averaging -2.5C, compared to another C climate that has 11 months>10C and winters averaging 9.5C -these climates would be worlds apart in human comfort, and the ability to survive.

Temperature thresholds only really make sense in the context of the movements of air masses

Old 03-25-2019, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Not seeing commonality in one C climate that has 4 months >10C, and winters averaging -2.5C, compared to another C climate that has 11 months>10C and winters averaging 9.5C -these climates would be worlds apart in human comfort, and the ability to survive.

Temperature thresholds only really make sense in the context of the movements of air masses
Winter =/= coldest month, and my temperate category is really a catch-all for everything that isn't definitively subtropical, subpolar, or continental.

Old 03-25-2019, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyche_da_mike24 View Post
Winter =/= coldest month, and my temperate category is really a catch-all for everything that isn't definitively subtropical, subpolar, or continental.
A climate with 11 months>10C and winters at 9.5C, would likely have much influence from subtropical air masses, and vegetation that would be more similar to vegetation in subtropical regions, while 4 months>10C and -2.5C winters, would likely have predominantly polar weather with very different vegetation.

Probably better to try and have classifications that share a commonality, movement of air masses or vegetation etc.

Old 03-25-2019, 11:39 PM

You have to draw the line somewhere. I think the 8 months > 10 C threshold for subtropical is a good poleward boundary for defining subtropical climates, but would argue that a hard 10 C threshold for the coldest month is better for delineating climates that are actually sub-tropical (i.e. resemble the tropics in their lack of winter cold).

Old 03-26-2019, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyche_da_mike24 View Post
You have to draw the line somewhere. I think the 8 months > 10 C threshold for subtropical is a good poleward boundary for defining subtropical climates, but would argue that a hard 10 C threshold for the coldest month is better for delineating climates that are actually sub-tropical (i.e. resemble the tropics in their lack of winter cold).
The C category doesn't delineate winter cold though - Nice and Oslo can't be said to have similar winters or a similar experience of cold.

An 11C winter can still have plenty of cold - many climates with winters that warm, can't grow the same vegetation as my colder area, because it's actually my area that lacks the winter cold.

Old 03-26-2019, 01:32 AM

650 posts, read 449,670 times
A 10C winter might have a day where it is -5C at 3 PM and a low temperature of -10C that same night. Furthermore, that same place has a record low of -14C. Now that isn't to say that maybe in the warmest winter month there will be days of 32C like in February of 2017

Old 03-26-2019, 04:42 AM

1,503 posts, read 912,723 times
I like it, it's an improvement on Köppen's system in my opinion, especially on his Cf* categories which to me are the climate equivalents of wastepaper basket taxons. They are too broad, which is especially noticeable as his Af category is too narrow, as we've seen in the rainforest having at least 9 months of >100 mm rainfall rather than all months >60 mm.

Old 03-26-2019, 06:54 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,370,646 times
Sorry for being the bad guy here.

I think it's a mess. We end up with too many categories.
I counted a maximum of 82 climate types, and going up to 97 if we consider the optional ones (obviously there must be quite a bit which don't occur naturally).

The idea of making up a classification is grouping the units in various sets, not making up a set for every unit.
A more interesting exercise would be putting a limit in the amount of climate types before designing the system, so we have to carefully think what we could do to make it detailed enough without looking excessively broad or lazy. For instance, try to create a climate system with only 10 types. Then enhance it to 15 or 20. Köppen has 30 types, why not rearranging these 30 into a less disperse grouping?

Old 03-26-2019, 10:20 AM

99 posts, read 56,873 times
Yeah, I'd have to agree there are probably too many subcategories in this scheme. There comes a point where there are so many options that a classification scheme becomes somewhat pointless.

While these sorts of schemes (Koppen, Trewartha) will never nail down all locations perfectly, they do a decent summary of how region affects climates around the world. You may as well be looking at a micro-climate diagram or map then with so many options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather