Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which climate is better?
Apia 11 68.75%
Lima 5 31.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 02:05 AM
tij

453 posts, read 336,817 times

Advertisements

I definitely prefer Apia's precipitation to Lima's aridity, but the latter is actually comfortable most of the year.

Old 01-16-2019, 06:21 AM

11,650 posts, read 12,939,609 times
Apia is too hot and humid, and it too isn't even that sunny.

So I'll stick with Lima, despite the horrible sunshine hours. At least it's comfortable.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:26 AM

1,503 posts, read 912,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
Let's put some numbers to this...

Apia: 20.7% / F
Lima: -9.1% / Z-

Apia's bad. Same temperatures all year, no seasons, always the same tropical heat and moisture. But at least it's a typical bad. As in, there's plenty of other climates out there in the same score range. At least Apia's year round climate would make a passable summer.

Lima is so bad that it warrants a negative score. That's right, NEGATIVE! Pretty much everything a climate can do wrong, Lima did - in spades. This isn't just a bad climate, this is literally among the worst the planet has to offer, in the same league as Vostok. There is NOTHING good about Lima's climate!

-No winters
-Very small range of temperatures in general
-Managed to somehow have both too little sun AND virtually no precipitation
-28 hours of sun in a month with 0.04 inches of precipitation?
-Atrocious seasonal lag; June is warmer than October!
I give Apia an A and Lima a D.

No winter is a plus for me. Temperate climates consist of a good season and a bad season, with transitions between the two states in my opinion. If you can eliminate the bad, that's a positive. Lima's temperatures are OK and I like the lack of cold or extreme heat, but highs above 20 C and closer to 25 C would be better in all months. Lack of sunshine isn't too important as that close to the equator it's good to have some protection from the sun and even an overcast sky is going to be quite bright.

Now for the negative. And it's a big one: lack of rain. Produces some really dismal, dusty, scarred landscapes from the photos I've seen.

Old 01-16-2019, 09:22 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,585,101 times
Had to go with Lima, I couldn't deal with all of Apia's rain

Old 01-16-2019, 03:55 PM

388 posts, read 212,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
Let's put some numbers to this...

Apia: 20.7% / F
Lima: -9.1% / Z-

Apia's bad. Same temperatures all year, no seasons, always the same tropical heat and moisture. But at least it's a typical bad. As in, there's plenty of other climates out there in the same score range. At least Apia's year round climate would make a passable summer.

Lima is so bad that it warrants a negative score. That's right, NEGATIVE! Pretty much everything a climate can do wrong, Lima did - in spades. This isn't just a bad climate, this is literally among the worst the planet has to offer, in the same league as Vostok. There is NOTHING good about Lima's climate!

-No winters
-Very small range of temperatures in general
-Managed to somehow have both too little sun AND virtually no precipitation
-28 hours of sun in a month with 0.04 inches of precipitation?
-Atrocious seasonal lag; June is warmer than October!
^Strewth!

However, I'd easily prefer Vostok Station over Lima, because at least it gets some sort of exciting weather—much unlike Lima, of which yields absolutely nothing in regards to weather.

The only "weather" Lima provides is easy-to-access suicidal fuel for when matters get slightly too ugly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather