Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 10:57 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodleman556 View Post
A record wet year for Broome, with 97.6% of the annual rainfall falling in 32 days in January and February! April also has maximums 2C above average.
So Broome is a desert for 9-10 months of the year then it gets torrential downpours?

I hope they have reservoirs to capture the rain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2019, 03:59 PM

7,503 posts, read 6,285,226 times
Late to the party, my file had crashed months ago when I was one month shy of completing it, so I lost the will and recently did it all over again. Here is Bologna, 2018:

Overall a warm year, much more interesting than the desert like 2017 (which mostly had an interesting fall)

- Very mild and sunny January, much above average
- cold and wet february, with an impressive cold wave at the end of the month, and a cold March with plenty of snow at the beginning of the month
- a very fast transition towards late spring weather as April kicked in
- above average summer, but not by much.
- very warm fall
- rapid transition to winter in late november and again a bunch of snow in december

Overall 2018 was rainy, sunny, with plenty of snow events (by our standards) and many days of rain / thunderstorms. The warm season was long (late march to november) and had sharp beginnings and ends, with mostly above average shoulder seasons. Summer was also hot but less scorching and had more rainy days than the previous summers. Also there was not much fog at all. I really enjoyed 2018, probably the best year weather-wise since I moved here in 2013.

Old 05-28-2019, 05:09 PM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
2018 was boring and hot.

Old 05-28-2019, 06:07 PM

7,211 posts, read 3,085,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
Late to the party, my file had crashed months ago when I was one month shy of completing it, so I lost the will and recently did it all over again. Here is Bologna, 2018:

Overall a warm year, much more interesting than the desert like 2017 (which mostly had an interesting fall)

- Very mild and sunny January, much above average
- cold and wet february, with an impressive cold wave at the end of the month, and a cold March with plenty of snow at the beginning of the month
- a very fast transition towards late spring weather as April kicked in
- above average summer, but not by much.
- very warm fall
- rapid transition to winter in late november and again a bunch of snow in december

Overall 2018 was rainy, sunny, with plenty of snow events (by our standards) and many days of rain / thunderstorms. The warm season was long (late march to november) and had sharp beginnings and ends, with mostly above average shoulder seasons. Summer was also hot but less scorching and had more rainy days than the previous summers. Also there was not much fog at all. I really enjoyed 2018, probably the best year weather-wise since I moved here in 2013.
Record low in July 17.2c, that is quite high!

In Belgrade daily mean in December was 3.3c. I don't have exact data for my town, but we are for about 1.2c colder than Belgrade in December on average.
Here also December was snowy. We had 45 cm of snow in 16th/17th December and that was the highest snow in December since 1990s.

Old 05-28-2019, 06:41 PM

233 posts, read 133,459 times

2018 was a rather unpleasant year weather-wise for Toronto. It was the year without Spring and Fall.

Winter started out very strong but quickly eased up and it was quite mild at times. We had a false start to spring late February with multiple 10C+ days but winter quickly came back and stayed around for almost two more months.

Then as soon as the cold went away, the heat came in May. May and June were a mix between pleasant weather and extreme heat. The heat peaked over the Canada Day long weekend.

Summer was very hot and dry until an unsettled pattern began late July and lasted for the entire August, bringing many thunderstorm days and cloudy, muggy weather.

September was mostly hot and dry combined with pleasant cooler days, but when October came, someone flipped a switch and it suddenly became chilly. It remained perpetually gloomy throughout the rest of the year. A false start to winter came late November, but December saw hardly any snow although there was a dusting left on Christmas morning.

Note, the April precipitation amount was no typo, there was one huge ice storm April 14-16. Because ice pellets counted as neither rain nor snow, it only added to the overall precipitation total.

Last edited by segfault1361; 05-28-2019 at 07:01 PM..

Old 05-29-2019, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nino Bellov View Post
Record low in July 17.2c, that is quite high!

In Belgrade daily mean in December was 3.3c. I don't have exact data for my town, but we are for about 1.2c colder than Belgrade in December on average.
Here also December was snowy. We had 45 cm of snow in 16th/17th December and that was the highest snow in December since 1990s.

yeah, we rarely have lows below 15c in july.

We also had the same snowfall event on december 16/17, which was pretty deep and stayed on the ground for about a week, but I wouldn't say it was the deepest ever. The February / March snowfall was deeper. We generally do not get that many snow events during a winter, but we easily get 10, 20 or 30 cm because it's generally humid snow.

Old 05-29-2019, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by segfault1361 View Post

2018 was a rather unpleasant year weather-wise for Toronto. It was the year without Spring and Fall.

Winter started out very strong but quickly eased up and it was quite mild at times. We had a false start to spring late February with multiple 10C+ days but winter quickly came back and stayed around for almost two more months.

Then as soon as the cold went away, the heat came in May. May and June were a mix between pleasant weather and extreme heat. The heat peaked over the Canada Day long weekend.

Summer was very hot and dry until an unsettled pattern began late July and lasted for the entire August, bringing many thunderstorm days and cloudy, muggy weather.

September was mostly hot and dry combined with pleasant cooler days, but when October came, someone flipped a switch and it suddenly became chilly. It remained perpetually gloomy throughout the rest of the year. A false start to winter came late November, but December saw hardly any snow although there was a dusting left on Christmas morning.

Note, the April precipitation amount was no typo, there was one huge ice storm April 14-16. Because ice pellets counted as neither rain nor snow, it only added to the overall precipitation total.

Spent the last week of July there and it was definitely muggy / cloudy and not very hot, yet it was sweaty. My friends in Montreal talked about how it had been super hot at the beginning of the month, and my friend in Toronto said that the spring had been lackluster. I saw the weather forecasts in the fall and apparently it got cold quickly. Also this year the spring is pretty slow to start apparently ?

Old 05-29-2019, 04:35 AM

7,211 posts, read 3,085,515 times
Quote:
yeah, we rarely have lows below 15c in july.

We also had the same snowfall event on december 16/17, which was pretty deep and stayed on the ground for about a week, but I wouldn't say it was the deepest ever. The February / March snowfall was deeper. We generally do not get that many snow events during a winter, but we easily get 10, 20 or 30 cm because it's generally humid snow.
I see July 2018 in Bologna was warmer than average.
Here in Serbia July 2018 was about average, for examle the coldest station was Kopaonik with daily mean 12.8c and warmest was Negotin with daily mean 23.9c.
Kopaonik's average is 12.7c and Negotin has 23.5c on average
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopaonik#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negotin#Climate
Some places in Serbia were slightly below average in July.
In Sremska Mitrovica in July 1 minimum was 8.7c and that was the lowest temperature in July on places on low elevation in Serbia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sremska_Mitrovica#Climate
My town is on the same latitude and altitude as Sremska Mitrovica.

In Serbia historical bigger snowfall were in February than December. This is weird because December is wetter on average than February.

Last edited by Nino Bellov; 05-29-2019 at 05:33 AM..

Old 05-29-2019, 05:02 AM

Well most julys are warmer than average. And July 2015 and 2016 were warmer than July 2018. Also August 2017 had a 28c average.

The only below average July I've seen since I moved here was July 2014 which was probably about 1c colder than the average.

Also, keep in mind our data is 1971-2000, so it should be updated. We certainly don't have a 24c July average anymore, it's almost always warmer than that nowadays.

As for snow, 2017-2018 was very interesting because we had two major snowfall events in November and in February. Nothing in December / January. This year we've had snow in december and late january, which is more normal. February and March have been above average and very dry.

Old 05-29-2019, 07:34 PM

233 posts, read 133,459 times
Quote:
Also this year the spring is pretty slow to start apparently ?
Yep... up until 15-May we had been lagging 2-4 weeks behind seasonal norms. The last 2 weeks have been much better though.

Not complaining though because at least we have a spring, unlike 2016 and 2018, and at least it is developing at a steady pace, no signs of fast forwarding to summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather