Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 04:53 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,502,351 times

Advertisements

This is a thread showcasing the most extreme continental or just cold or really poleward climates on earth. I would recomment screenshotting forecasts from www.weatheronline.co.uk for your given location. This could definitely be an interesting thread during the really cold season in Siberia, Alaska and the Arctic.

What kind of places can you find out there?

Verkhoyansk this time of the year isn't comfy to say the least

Fort Yukon also lives up to its reputation as the North American pole of winter cold as far as settlements go:

On the other hand, Tromsø at 69°N isn't exactly friendly ground for snow cover right now...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 05:14 PM

895 posts, read 602,946 times
Summit Camp, Greenland might have the worst weather in the world right now. Some Siberian locations can compare, though.

Vostok looks nice in comparison:

With UV indices of 4 the entire time, probably significantly increased by the ozone layer hole. Strangely, Vostok's forecast shows 0 sunshine hours.

Old 01-05-2019, 05:21 PM

5,722 posts, read 3,504,425 times
Interesting thread.

I'd say Old Crow, Yukon, is a candidate for the NA Pole of Cold as far as settlements are concerned. Its averages are even a little bit colder than Fort Yukon. Latest Environment Canada forecast:

Source: https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/yt-11_metric_e.html

But whatever the averages, the latest Dawson City forecast is impressive:

Source: https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/yt-6_metric_e.html

However the real Pole of Cold in North America is Eureka, Nunavut. Unfortunately Environment Canada doesn't issue forecasts for Eureka but here's the weatheronline one:

Source: https://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weat...R=0&NOREGION=1

Old 01-05-2019, 05:34 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,454,887 times
^There are a bunch of towns in Arctic Nunavut with 1000+ people that have colder averages than Old Crow: take Cambridge Bay, Taloyoak, Pond Inlet, Gjoa Haven, or even places as far south as Baker Lake and Rankin Inlet.

In comparison, Old Crow is warmer, has shorter winters, and has barely 200 people. It apparently gets slightly colder extremes, but that's about it. Not even remotely a candidate for NA Pole of Cold.

Old 01-05-2019, 05:36 PM

Good call there, I always thought Fort Yukon was the coldest among settlements. Paradoxically it actually is in December due to the front-loaded nature of Alaska, but Old Crow catches up and becomes colder still from this month onward.

Here's (as far as I know it) the world's coldest settlement that is too warm in summer to be subarctic:

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imeni_...ality)#Climate)

Far East Siberia, consistent bone-chilling weather the coming week. What also makes that place unique, is that it's a climate warmer than subarctic that has never been above freezing in January. Impressive stuff.

Old 01-05-2019, 05:38 PM

Shalop//

That's true if we consider archipelagoes too. As far as the North American mainland goes, it's probably Old Crow, but if we'll follow the letter of the law and count Nunavut's archipelago as co-equal to the mainland, then that's where the settlement pole of cold is. Even then, Eureka is the obvious answer. Since Fort Yukon has the coldest recorded temperature, it is also a candidate for that alone.

So all in all:

Coldest temp: Fort Yukon
Coldest mainland settlement: Old Crow
Coldest Canadian settlement: Gjoa Haven
Coldest station: Eureka

Old 01-05-2019, 05:42 PM

895 posts, read 602,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
Good call there, I always thought Fort Yukon was the coldest among settlements. Paradoxically it actually is in December due to the front-loaded nature of Alaska, but Old Crow catches up and becomes colder still from this month onward.

Here's (as far as I know it) the world's coldest settlement that is too warm in summer to be subarctic:

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imeni_...ality)#Climate)

Far East Siberia, consistent bone-chilling weather the coming week. What also makes that place unique, is that it's a climate warmer than subarctic that has never been above freezing in January. Impressive stuff.
Doesn't Ulaanbaatar have a January record high of -2.6 C? Many non-subarctic climates have never reached above freezing in January.

Old 01-05-2019, 05:46 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,454,887 times
@lommaren

But Baker Lake and Rankin Inlet are on the mainland, and both are larger/colder settlements than Old Crow. It's possible I'm misunderstanding what exactly you're referring to as "mainland."

Also, Eureka doesn't have a permanent population, unless I'm mistaken.

Old 01-05-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QIDb602 View Post
Doesn't Ulaanbaatar have a January record high of -2.6 C? Many non-subarctic climates have never reached above freezing in January.

Define "many". In a general context, it is very rare after all. "Unique" doesn't necessarily mean "world exclusively" That being said, if global warming continues, Imeni Poliny will probably get above freezing in January in the near future, since it's quite dependent on the freeze of Okhotsk Bay. The fact that it can always remain above freezing in spite of being not so far inland from an ocean on its latitude, but still remain humid continental is what's really impressive about it.

Old 01-05-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
@lommaren

But Baker Lake and Rankin Inlet are on the mainland, and both are larger/colder settlements than Old Crow. It's possible I'm misunderstanding what exactly you're referring to as "mainland."
Ah okay those two are mainland Nunavut, sure. That's correct. I'll grant you that. By the Oymyakon standard of coldest temp ever it is still Fort Yukon either way one slices it though. Old Crow is gone, but Fort Yukon stands. Still, evidently Gjoa Haven looks to be the real deal as far as settlements go. It is still clear however, if we're talking the full North American pole of cold as far as averages go that the central Greenland highlands are the coldest. The winter of 1931 saw a -41°C February average high at Eismitte, while the Germans still hung around there. Keep in mind that seasonal lag is quite likely due to it being near the Arctic Ocean, so even with global warming I would suppose that place is colder than Eureka.

Wikipedia calls -38/-46 for Summit Camp, so I guess that's where the real pole of cold for North America would be when counting archipelagoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather