U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Sydney or Perth?
Sydney 15 57.69%
Perth 11 42.31%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 09:01 AM

2,617 posts, read 1,423,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Perth for being Mediterranean with dry and sunny summers.
This is also my reason for voting for Perth. Though both cities have nice climates. The wiki link shows Sydney averages about 2,635 mean monthly sun hours. I assume Perth gets more but couldn't find the data.

Can the OP or anyone comment on the ocean water temp comparison between the two? A significant difference (warmer) might make me change my vote (too late I know).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2019, 05:06 PM

5,003 posts, read 6,384,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Perth is equivalent to Taree in NSW in latitude, which would be overall pretty similar and yearly means almost exactly the same.

I'm thinking of sunshine as well, not just temperatures.

Old 01-13-2019, 05:07 PM

5,003 posts, read 6,384,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
This is also my reason for voting for Perth. Though both cities have nice climates. The wiki link shows Sydney averages about 2,635 mean monthly sun hours. I assume Perth gets more but couldn't find the data.

Can the OP or anyone comment on the ocean water temp comparison between the two? A significant difference (warmer) might make me change my vote (too late I know).
Perth Aero averages about 3200 hours.

Old 01-13-2019, 09:36 PM

16,312 posts, read 5,782,616 times
Perth, which has one of the world's best climates

Old Today, 12:04 AM

10,098 posts, read 7,265,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Pretty interesting...Perth's annual sea temperature mean is a degree warmer than Sydney's, but Sydney's waters get much warmer in the summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Perth, which has one of the world's best climates
To be objective, Perth's climate is better than Sydney's due to its lower humidity in the summer and beautifully high sunshine hours (though we are sunny enough, as is). However, its wet winters are an overkill. They can get some pretty high rainfall in the winter, and that will be depressing in the winter. Would prefer if they were drier, or if that rain amount was dispersed evenly throughout the year (no dry/wet season).
Attached Thumbnails
Climate Battle of Australian Capitals: Sydney, NSW vs. Perth, WA-untitled.png  

Old Today, 08:14 AM

1,768 posts, read 955,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Pretty interesting...Perth's annual sea temperature mean is a degree warmer than Sydney's, but Sydney's waters get much warmer in the summer.

To be objective, Perth's climate is better than Sydney's due to its lower humidity in the summer and beautifully high sunshine hours (though we are sunny enough, as is). However, its wet winters are an overkill. They can get some pretty high rainfall in the winter, and that will be depressing in the winter. Would prefer if they were drier, or if that rain amount was dispersed evenly throughout the year (no dry/wet season).
Where did you get those data from?

The average for Sydney is wrong: it should be 20.9C, whence warmer than Perth.

Old Today, 10:40 AM

16,312 posts, read 5,782,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post

Perhaps Geraldton would be more to your liking?

Old Today, 05:30 PM

10,098 posts, read 7,265,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
Where did you get those data from?

The average for Sydney is wrong: it should be 20.9C, whence warmer than Perth.
From Wikipedia. But are sourced from this:

https://www.seatemperature.org/austr...ey-january.htm

I'll edit the annual mean on Wikipedia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Perhaps Geraldton would be more to your liking?
Most definitely. Not because it's drier per se, but because its winters aren't that wet. I'm not a fan of very wet winters.

Old Today, 06:46 PM

8 posts
Well, now this is a very hard choice. It's like telling to your son: who's your favorite parent? In overall I prefer Perth's temperatures, summers are much drier and winters are slightly warmer. Besides, I hate too much winter rain, but also too much rain in overall. Sydney's least humid season is the season it should be... and it's also quite less prone to very extreme heat. Both have many pros and few cons.

Hmm, can I vote for both? I won't vote in the poll, it's a tie for me. Both are very good climates, I give 90 out of 100 for both.

Old Today, 06:55 PM

5,502 posts, read 1,917,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Testarossa93 View Post
Well, now this is a very hard choice. It's like telling to your son: who's your favorite parent? In overall I prefer Perth's temperatures, summers are much drier and winters are slightly warmer. Besides, I hate too much winter rain, but also too much rain in overall. Sydney's least humid season is the season it should be... and it's also quite less prone to very extreme heat. Both have many pros and few cons.

Hmm, can I vote for both? I won't vote in the poll, it's a tie for me. Both are very good climates, I give 90 out of 100 for both.

Both are A climates I guess?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or