U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 06:49 PM

3,068 posts, read 2,937,211 times

Advertisements

Greetings... at times I check out the weather threads and I'm in awe of the level of research, and knowledge here!

This might be a weird request... I'm trying to figure this out myself, but I'm from Southern California so I'm completely stupid when it comes to living in weather that has much variety.

I'm trying to chart a course traveling through the seasons in the U.S.
We'd be doing this in a van pulling a small trailer, so we'd have to avoid real extreme deep freeze winters, hurricanes,tornadoes and severe hailstorms.
Also unlike some who seek warmth year round, my "fantasy" temp range is between 30 to 65 degrees. I know I'll need to be flexible on this, but Houston or Phoenix in summer for example... well I'd literally die, so no!

I'm interested in what ideas you weather genius types might come up with! I bow to you, I'm not worthy!

Where do we need to be:

Jan.
Feb.
March
April
May
June
July
Aug.
Sept.
Oct.
Dec.

After any suggestions, I'll need to look to see each location to see how to reasonably get from point A to point B and so on.

Thanks in advance to anyone contributing to this puzzle here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 04:30 AM

1,102 posts, read 117,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Greetings... at times I check out the weather threads and I'm in awe of the level of research, and knowledge here!

This might be a weird request... I'm trying to figure this out myself, but I'm from Southern California so I'm completely stupid when it comes to living in weather that has much variety.

I'm trying to chart a course traveling through the seasons in the U.S.
We'd be doing this in a van pulling a small trailer, so we'd have to avoid real extreme deep freeze winters, hurricanes,tornadoes and severe hailstorms.
Also unlike some who seek warmth year round, my "fantasy" temp range is between 30 to 65 degrees. I know I'll need to be flexible on this, but Houston or Phoenix in summer for example... well I'd literally die, so no!

I'm interested in what ideas you weather genius types might come up with! I bow to you, I'm not worthy!

Where do we need to be:

Jan.
Feb.
March
April
May
June
July
Aug.
Sept.
Oct.
Dec.

After any suggestions, I'll need to look to see each location to see how to reasonably get from point A to point B and so on.

Thanks in advance to anyone contributing to this puzzle here!
Point Reyes, CA meets that criteria all year...

Old Yesterday, 05:46 AM
BMI

6,753 posts, read 4,003,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy1234 View Post
Point Reyes, CA meets that criteria all year...
Good choice, and he can stay in his home state all year and save money (and gas)

But if he wants to travel ....then I would say California in winter...
maybe start in SoCal...january february Santa Barbara...head north in march to
Santa Cruz ....

Then in april the Oregon coast....cross the border into BC in may...
june ...northern BC and Hyder, Alaska...

July and august north BC coast Prince Rupert/Haida Gwaii....

September head east ..interior BC on the Yellowhead HWY...Prince George...
south on HWY 97 ...Quesnel/Barkerville then SW to Pemberton/Whistler
ferry to Victoria, BC...another ferry to Port Angeles, WA....Olympic Mtns..

Oregon in october.....The Dales....Bend....Klamath Falls...

Northern California in november Weed/Mount Shasta....Redding....
then either west route via Ukiah ...maybe Napa...or more eastern route...foothills of the Sierras
Yosemite /Sequoia ...crossing Sierras ...Owens Valley...Bishop...Independence..
early december...Mojave desert over to Death Valley...Beatty...Pahrump....Searchlight...
to Devil’s Playground ....then 29 Palms ....then west to the coast ...LA / Orange County.

The entire trip high temps in the 60s...lows 50s to mid 30s...
part of the trip is in Canada...if you want entirely US...then in summer
it would have to be in either California or Oregon Coast
or at very high elevation in the Rocky Mountains...above 10,000 ft
even Leadville, Colorado at elevation 10,152 ft has an average july high of 72F

Last edited by BMI; Yesterday at 05:57 AM..

Old Yesterday, 02:02 PM

569 posts, read 429,391 times
Eureka, CA meets that too. Highs in the 50s and 60s all year. If you get bored of the temperature just drive an hour to Willow Creek that averages 95/53 in July and 53/35 in Jan. Really you could just drive up and down the west coast and be mild all year.

Here is a route if you want 70 degree high temps on average every day of the year. It's based on weather, not scenery. Too much driving for me.
Brian B's Climate Blog: 70°F Road Trip

To see highs in the 60s in summer, Canada and Alaska are the best places to check. Interior Alaska gets into the 70s but Anchorage and most places near the coast are 60s. If you stay on the west coast you can see 60s for highs in July all the way down to California and up to Alaska. Finding 60s away in the Midwest and East is harder. Like BMI said, go high enough and it will be in the 60s during the day, but it will probably be frosty at night. Or go way north, but you might run out of road before you find a place that fits.

Near Lake Superior some places only average about 70 in July. Eagle Harbor, Michigan is 72/53. Grand Marais, Minnesota is 72/54. You can't drive an RV there, but Isle Royale, Michigan is probably a few degrees colder than those places. The Canadian side of Lake Superior is similar as well, for example Wawa is 70/50 and Marathon is 72/50.

East coast USA is too warm. There might be a few towns in New England that are high enough elevation to see 60s. Even the east coast of Canada is mostly 70s. You could go to Newfoundland, I guess.

To stay in the 30-65 degree range in winter, west coast is best again. Northwest is cloudy and wet in winter so southwest is probably better. Southwest has some places that work too, if you have enough elevation. Tucson averages 65/40, Sedona 57/31, Las Vegas 58/39, St. George 52/31. Even Phoenix isn't too bad, high 60s/low 70s most days. Some parts of Mexico, like Chihuahua, would fit.

The southeast and south US are in that range in winter, but they also get some days much colder and hotter. Tallahassee averages 64/39, Atlanta 52/34, Baton Rouge 62/41.

Edit: if you're flexible and 70s are OK, a US-only trip is much easier. One idea out east would be to spend summer in Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, or northern NY. Then go south over time and end up in Georgia or the Carolinas. A midwest trip would spend summer in Michigan's UP or northern Minnesota and end in Texas or Louisiana.

Last edited by Crunch41; Yesterday at 02:14 PM..

Old Yesterday, 03:37 PM

16,260 posts, read 5,768,843 times
You could pretty much do it in Arizona

Jan Phoenix 68/46
Feb Phoenix 70/49
Mar Prescott 60/30
Apr Prescott 67/35
May Prescott 78/43
Jun Flagstaff 80/40
Jul Flagstaff 83/51
Aug Flagstaff 80/49
Sep Flagstaff 74/43
Oct Prescott 70/38
Nov Prescott 60/30
Dec Phoenix 66/45

Old Yesterday, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
You could pretty much do it in Arizona

Jan Phoenix 68/46
Feb Phoenix 70/49
Mar Prescott 60/30
Apr Prescott 67/35
May Prescott 78/43
Jun Flagstaff 80/40
Jul Flagstaff 83/51
Aug Flagstaff 80/49
Sep Flagstaff 74/43
Oct Prescott 70/38
Nov Prescott 60/30
Dec Phoenix 66/45
That's too hot for the op.

Old Yesterday, 03:55 PM

5,479 posts, read 1,913,073 times
January: Sacramento
February: Redding
March: Eugene
April: Salem
May: Tacoma
June: Blaine
July: Vancouver Island (if Canada counts)
August: Astoria
September: Eureka
October: Willow Creek
November: Bay Area
December: Santa Cruz

That way you can stay on the west coast or in said states all year long

Old Yesterday, 04:09 PM

181 posts, read 16,918 times
Seattle would be pretty good for you and the PNW. Cool all year round although it would also be very wet and cloudy. Perhaps the west coast is best

Old Yesterday, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob93 View Post
Seattle would be pretty good for you and the PNW. Cool all year round although it would also be very wet and cloudy. Perhaps the west coast is best
Seattle is not cloudy, more than half of daylight hours are sunny and it has dry summers.

Old Yesterday, 04:13 PM

405 posts, read 55,328 times
Leave in April.

Apr: Los Angeles
May: San Francisco
June: Portland
July: Seattle
August: The middle of nowhere
September: Minneapolis/Chicago
October: Boston
November: NYC
December: Washington, D.C.
January: Atlanta
February: Houston
March: Phoenix

August will be the hottest time but you can stay in the mountains if you can't stand heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather