U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate the Climate: Columbia Icefield
A 0 0%
B 0 0%
C 0 0%
D 3 37.50%
E 0 0%
F 5 62.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old Today, 03:19 PM

1,741 posts, read 950,874 times

Advertisements

The Columbia Icefield is the largest icefield in the Canadian Rockies. It lies at an elevation of about 3,000m and is surrounded by peaks up to 3,700m. It is one the remnants of the most recent North American glaciation and serves as the source of six glaciers. It is 325 square km in area and up to 365m deep. It is also has a claim on being a hydrological apex of North America with meltwater that flows to three oceans: Pacific, Atlantic, and Arctic--depending on how the Arctic Ocean is delineated (reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbia_Icefield).

There's no weather station on the icefield but I've estimated the climate based on stats from metoblue.com and cross-correlating with the nearest Environment Canada weather stations. I think it's likely close to reality though still somewhat speculative. The greatest uncertainty lies in summer temperatures: I'm unsure if local effects of the ice and albedo would albedo would result in lower temperatures.

According to these data the Columbia Icefield would have a tundra (ET) climate. This belies the fact that it is, in fact, an ice cap with year-round snow and ice cover. In any event, the Columbia Icefield is a candidate for Alberta's Pole of Cold as it likely has the coldest annual mean temperature in Alberta even though its winters are likely considerably milder than many other parts of the province.

Source: Z - Air Aerial Mapping and Photography ServicesHome

Source: https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia....rticle/glacier

Source: Summits and Icefields | PerpetualSki

Source: Clambering Up The Columbia Icefield: Two Nights Below Castleguard Mountain | Ben's Hikes, Scrambles, and Mountaineering Trips

Source: Clambering Up The Columbia Icefield: Two Nights Below Castleguard Mountain | Ben's Hikes, Scrambles, and Mountaineering Trips
Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 03:23 PM

405 posts, read 54,062 times
Obviously F for me. Way too cold year-round.

Old Today, 03:26 PM

1,079 posts, read 113,445 times
Sunshine hours? Also the temps in the source don't match those in the box.

Old Today, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy1234 View Post
Sunshine hours? Also the temps in the source don't match those in the box.
No idea about sunshine hours, sorry. Environment Canada hasn't measured them for years.

Good catch on the mismatch. I actually made the climate box about a year ago and never got around to posting it. It seems since then meteoblue has revised their figures.

Old Today, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
No idea about sunshine hours, sorry. Environment Canada hasn't measured them for years.

Good catch on the mismatch. I actually made the climate box about a year ago and never got around to posting it. It seems since then meteoblue has revised their figures.
Well since it isn't in the tropics or the Arctic and there's no sunshine hours, I can't rate it.

Old Today, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Well since it isn't in the tropics or the Arctic and there's no sunshine hours, I can't rate it.
Jasper gets about 1900 hours a year. Try that out for size.

Why don't you care about sunshine hours in the tropics? Or the arctic?

Old Today, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
Jasper gets about 1900 hours a year. Try that out for size.

Why don't you care about sunshine hours in the tropics? Or the arctic?
Tropics are too hot all year so that's an automatic F, Arctic gets polar night so that's also an automatic F. And based on Jasper's sun hours, Columbia Icefield gets a D.

Old Today, 05:43 PM

9,901 posts, read 11,284,501 times
Definitely an F. But the area is breathtakingly beautiful.

Old Today, 06:27 PM

12,441 posts, read 8,514,156 times
Quote:
Sure beats my insane hot summers.

Old Today, 09:02 PM

164 posts, read 142,880 times
I like cold and snow but I also like my four seasons as well. I will have to give this one a grade of D.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or