Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these climates are subtropical? Choose all that are
Eureka 8 15.09%
Portland 3 5.66%
Medford 4 7.55%
New York City 9 16.98%
Philadelphia 11 20.75%
Lyon 9 16.98%
Lugano 10 18.87%
Trieste 24 45.28%
None of them 22 41.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 09:53 AM

2,946 posts, read 2,914,264 times

Advertisements

Trieste is the only one in my system that barely qualify as humid subtropical (W2sh). However, the italian wiki shows colder figures for Trieste, so i doubt it: https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stazio...gici_1971-2000
Anyways, it's the only one out of the list that is close to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 10:00 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,684,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post
Trieste is the only one in my system that barely qualify as humid subtropical (W2sh). However, the italian wiki shows colder figures for Trieste, so i doubt it: https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stazio...gici_1971-2000
Anyways, it's the only one out of the list that is close to it.

Both are correct. Those are 1971-2000. I've posted averages for the last twenty years.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:07 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Eureka would be first for me -environments most affected by the absence of cold, are the most subtropical.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:11 AM

1,503 posts, read 912,723 times
I don't really like the description "subtropical" as I feel it is too ambiguous and I don't even think Koppen used it to describe any of his categories. Its usage is pretty broad; does it mean climates that are climates that have more continental influence than is generally the case for tropical climates and so have summers that are similar to true tropical climates but have much colder winters? Does it mean climates that are more oceanic than true tropical climates and are cooler all year, but especially in winter? Does it mean highland climates that are just cooler all year round than tropical climates?

To me the only climates that are clearly subtropical are those that are close to being tropical but fall below the average of 18C for just a few months each year, eg Brisbane, Durban, Guwahati etc.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:26 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisfbath View Post
I don't really like the description "subtropical" as I feel it is too ambiguous and I don't even think Koppen used it to describe any of his categories. Its usage is pretty broad; does it mean climates that are climates that have more continental influence than is generally the case for tropical climates and so have summers that are similar to true tropical climates but have much colder winters? Does it mean climates that are more oceanic than true tropical climates and are cooler all year, but especially in winter? Does it mean highland climates that are just cooler all year round than tropical climates?

To me the only climates that are clearly subtropical are those that are close to being tropical but fall below the average of 18C for just a few months each year, eg Brisbane, Durban, Guwahati etc.
That's too strict a definition. We average 13.5°C in our coldest month, and have palm trees everywhere and year round green grass and you wouldn't consider us subtropical. Again, I think the Washingtonia palms are an indicator species for subtropical climates and they will grow in places where the coldest month averages around 6°C like St George, UT and Kingman, AZ, as well as Wilmington, NC

Old 01-25-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
That's too strict a definition. We average 13.5°C in our coldest month, and have palm trees everywhere and year round green grass and you wouldn't consider us subtropical. Again, I think the Washingtonia palms are an indicator species for subtropical climates and they will grow in places where the coldest month averages around 6°C like St George, UT and Kingman, AZ, as well as Wilmington, NC
Do you think my area is subtropical? -Washingtonia grow here, and plants will sprout from seed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisfbath View Post

I think subtropical is best used to describe a spectrum where environments manifest the relative lack of cold, through flora and fauna - the longer the growing season, and the more species that can thrive due to the lack of cold, then the more subtropical a place is.

Old 01-25-2019, 11:01 AM

381 posts, read 248,226 times
Quote:
Does green grass year round occur naturally in Phoenix, or is it a result of irrigation?

The grass usually goes brown in the PNW during summer.

Old 01-25-2019, 11:04 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Do you think my area is subtropical? -Washingtonia grow here, and plants will sprout from seed.

I think subtropical is best used to describe a spectrum where environments manifest the relative lack of cold, through flora and fauna - the longer the growing season, and the more species that can thrive due to the lack of cold, then the more subtropical a place is.
I consider your area warm oceanic. You have less than 4 months with means 18°C or higher

Old 01-25-2019, 11:04 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
Quote:
Astoria, OR averages about 6C in its coldest month and I have never seen Washingtonia palms there.

Old 01-25-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
I consider your area warm oceanic. You have less than 4 months with means 18°C or higher
So Washingtonias aren't an indicator of subtropical climates then? - have been pulling out self seeded ones lately.

Plenty of green grass here as well -grows all winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather