U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-02-2019, 04:02 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
9,882 posts, read 8,802,911 times
Reputation: 5662

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I suppose time of year counts. But I went to Seattle in June and it was still drizzly, chilly, and overcast. No surprise there.

I think the biggest surprise would be the Central Valley of California. Brutally hot, endlessly sunny summers but rainy, foggy winters that actually have less sunshine hours than Boston in January, despite being further south than Boston.
I like the summers in the Central Valley, a nice dry heat you don't really even sweat much and the nights are really pleasant. The winters are dreary but you have to have some rain or it will be a desert.

I'm starting to think I may need to eventually retire in a desert, I want year round warmth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-02-2019, 04:14 PM
BMI
 
Location: Ontario
6,866 posts, read 4,073,547 times
Reputation: 5120
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Maybe Miami with the swamplands on the backsides? People visit Miami Beach, see it in all its glory then realize they can't afford it and have to be out near the Everglades with no beaches, mosquitoes, no ocean wind, and prone to flooding?
Yes you see pictures of Miami Beach ....but you can only afford to live in a cheap house
inland where its hot, sticky ...and so buggy that your pool and patio have to be screened in,
a lanai they call down in south Florida
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2019, 04:57 PM
 
Location: Downtown Phoenix, AZ
16,758 posts, read 5,927,428 times
Reputation: 4938
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I like the summers in the Central Valley, a nice dry heat you don't really even sweat much and the nights are really pleasant. The winters are dreary but you have to have some rain or it will be a desert.

I'm starting to think I may need to eventually retire in a desert, I want year round warmth.
If you can take Austin summers, I think you'd like Phoenix. Our normal high today is 68F, and normal low is 47F. Warmer than Austins 63F/37F and we are more stable. We haven't had a high below 50F since Jan 1st of 2015
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2019, 05:07 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
9,882 posts, read 8,802,911 times
Reputation: 5662
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
If you can take Austin summers, I think you'd like Phoenix. Our normal high today is 68F, and normal low is 47F. Warmer than Austins 63F/37F and we are more stable. We haven't had a high below 50F since Jan 1st of 2015
What I like about Austin you don't have lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2019, 05:10 PM
 
Location: Downtown Phoenix, AZ
16,758 posts, read 5,927,428 times
Reputation: 4938
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
What I like about Austin you don't have lol
What's that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2019, 09:03 PM
 
Location: Seattle WA, USA
3,764 posts, read 1,986,585 times
Reputation: 2416
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I suppose time of year counts. But I went to Seattle in June and it was still drizzly, chilly, and overcast. No surprise there.

I think the biggest surprise would be the Central Valley of California. Brutally hot, endlessly sunny summers but rainy, foggy winters that actually have less sunshine hours than Boston in January, despite being further south than Boston.
Well Summer doesnt start till July in Seattle, June is very much a spring month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2019, 03:31 AM
 
Location: White House, TN
5,419 posts, read 3,747,027 times
Reputation: 3364
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Well Summer doesnt start till July in Seattle, June is very much a spring month.
I hate climates like that. June needs to be a summer month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2019, 06:28 AM
 
Location: Washington State
16,693 posts, read 8,656,097 times
Reputation: 14209
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
What areas have a Switch-and-bait climate? That is, tourists go to only the touristy expensive part of the city with the mild weather, then automatically assume that the entire city is just as nice, climate-wise, when in reality other parts of the city have brutal weather?

LA is such a switch-and-bait kind of climate. By which I mean tourists go to only the expensive beach areas and automatically think that all of the Greater LA area has this wonderful climate. Then they try to move here, but realize that everywhere with a mild climate in Greater LA is in$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$anely expen$$$$$$$$$$$$ive. So they have no choice but to look at the relatively cheap real estate in the Inland Empire, where they have fun with brutal summers punctuated with heat waves that can reach up to 110 degrees, with absolutely no rain nor cloud cover nor sea breeze all summer long, not to mention that autumn and winter is absolutely plagued with nasty Santa Ana winds that bring hurricane-force gusts, very itchy, migraine-inducing, allergy weather, and very high fire danger.
Western Oregon and Washington...people come up during the summer and it's absolutely gorgeous and make a decision to move here and then when winter hits and you have months of rain and gray skies, many make the decision to return from whence they came.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2019, 08:27 AM
 
Location: Seattle
6,682 posts, read 8,762,667 times
Reputation: 3535
Almost nobody moves to Seattle or Portland for the weather. People would move to LA or San Diego if weather was the most important thing in their life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2019, 09:25 AM
 
Location: Washington State
16,693 posts, read 8,656,097 times
Reputation: 14209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Almost nobody moves to Seattle or Portland for the weather. People would move to LA or San Diego if weather was the most important thing in their life.

It's the beauty of the area combined with the summer weather....I've known numerous people that have made the move to the PNW after visiting in the summer (especially Californians) without experiencing the winter and then later left for sunnier climes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top