U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 11:01 AM

1,052 posts, read 323,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I like the summers in the Central Valley, a nice dry heat you don't really even sweat much and the nights are really pleasant. The winters are dreary but you have to have some rain or it will be a desert.

I'm starting to think I may need to eventually retire in a desert, I want year round warmth.
I disagree. You may sweat less in dry heat, but the dry heat also makes you itchy all over, cracks your skin, gives you bad dandruff, nosebleeds, and a stuffy nose. To me that's worse than being sweaty from humidity.

Also, rainless summers are a deal-breaker. Just months of dead, brown vegetation, very high fire danger, and whenever there's a heat wave, there's literally zero chance that an afternoon thunderstorm will cool everything off.

I also don't want summer nights cooling down to 60 or even 55 degrees by sunrise. I want to be able to sit on the porch in a t-shirt, shorts, and sandals, watching sunrise, and still be warm. I want to watch 4th of July fireworks or outdoor concerts late at night without having to carry a jacket.

I have endured months of summer weather in both Sacramento and the Louisiana/Mississippi Gulf Coast. Yes, there's more flooding on the Gulf Coast, but comfort-wise, the Gulf is a breeze compared to Sacramento (and Sacramento's already got the "mildest" summers in the Central Valley!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Yes you see pictures of Miami Beach ....but you can only afford to live in a cheap house
inland where it’s hot, sticky ...and so buggy that your pool and patio have to be screened in,
a “lanai” they call down in south Florida
That's not really bait-and-switch, though. Ask the average person who's never been to Florida, and the first thing they'll think of is tons of bugs and humidity and hurricanes.

Bait-and-switch would be like the Greater Los Angeles area, where most people think that the entire area is very mild during the summer, rarely any highs above 80 degrees, when in fact the San Fernando Valley and Inland Empire and high deserts have average summer highs in the mid-nineties and, in the case of the Inland Empire, get these very strong, bone-dry, annoying Santa Ana winds.

Heck, even Southern Californians who are blessed to live along the coast have no idea that just 30 miles inland the temps can be 20-25 degrees warmer on any given day during the summer.

Old 02-03-2019, 03:35 PM

133 posts, read 51,202 times
What about ditch and ditch climates? Areas that are pretty much just as ****ty and miserable as you would expect.

Old 02-03-2019, 03:47 PM

16,758 posts, read 5,932,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springsux View Post
What about ditch and ditch climates? Areas that are pretty much just as ****ty and miserable as you would expect.
Upstate NY, Northern Ohio and Western Pennsylvania fit that bill lol

Old 02-03-2019, 05:52 PM

4,369 posts, read 2,317,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
What areas have a Switch-and-bait climate? That is, tourists go to only the touristy expensive part of the city with the mild weather, then automatically assume that the entire city is just as nice, climate-wise, when in reality other parts of the city have brutal weather?

LA is such a switch-and-bait kind of climate. By which I mean tourists go to only the expensive beach areas and automatically think that all of the Greater LA area has this wonderful climate. Then they try to move here, but realize that everywhere with a mild climate in Greater LA is in$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$anely expen$$$$$$$$$$$$ive. So they have no choice but to look at the relatively cheap real estate in the Inland Empire, where they have fun with brutal summers punctuated with heat waves that can reach up to 110 degrees, with absolutely no rain nor cloud cover nor sea breeze all summer long, not to mention that autumn and winter is absolutely plagued with nasty Santa Ana winds that bring hurricane-force gusts, very itchy, migraine-inducing, allergy weather, and very high fire danger.
Anyone who seriously considers the Inland Empire to be part of Los Angeles needs to look at a map.

The Inland Empire (locally known as the I.E.) is a an urban and metropolitan area centered around the cities of Riverside and San Bernardino. The Inland Empire is located east of Los Angeles County."

https://ieuw.org/wp-content/uploads/...e-1024x739.jpg

Just because Wikipedia says the IE is a "region of the Greater Los Angeles area" doesn't put it in Los Angeles, certainly not to Californians.

That's like saying that if you live in Stockton you live in the SF Bay Area.

Old 02-03-2019, 09:45 PM

16,758 posts, read 5,932,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Anyone who seriously considers the Inland Empire to be part of Los Angeles needs to look at a map.

The Inland Empire (locally known as the I.E.) is a an urban and metropolitan area centered around the cities of Riverside and San Bernardino. The Inland Empire is located east of Los Angeles County."

https://ieuw.org/wp-content/uploads/...e-1024x739.jpg

Just because Wikipedia says the IE is a "region of the Greater Los Angeles area" doesn't put it in Los Angeles, certainly not to Californians.

That's like saying that if you live in Stockton you live in the SF Bay Area.
It's debatable if Stockton is part of the Bay Area or not, but western Riverside and SW San Bernardino counties ARE part of Greater Los Angeles. Unlike San Joaquin County, which is clearly physically separated from the rest of the Bay Area by Alameda Pass as well as a break in urban sprawl between Livermore and Tracy; there is no separation in urban sprawl from Malibu all the way to Moreno Valley, from Calabasas to Redlands. And there's no big mountain range like the Diablo's separating say Pomona and Chino, or Claremont and Upland. In fact, I would argue Ontario is more part of Greater LA than Palmdale, despite Palmdale being in LA County

Old 02-03-2019, 09:49 PM

7,565 posts, read 3,140,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Maybe Miami with the swamplands on the backsides? People visit Miami Beach, see it in all its glory then realize they can't afford it and have to be out near the Everglades with no beaches, mosquitoes, no ocean wind, and prone to flooding?
The areas prone to flooding are the coastal areas with the king tide. The further inland the cheaper your homeowners insurance. Since the coast gets the brunt of the storms.

Old 02-03-2019, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
It's debatable if Stockton is part of the Bay Area or not, but western Riverside and SW San Bernardino counties ARE part of Greater Los Angeles. Unlike San Joaquin County, which is clearly physically separated from the rest of the Bay Area by Alameda Pass as well as a break in urban sprawl between Livermore and Tracy; there is no separation in urban sprawl from Malibu all the way to Moreno Valley, from Calabasas to Redlands. And there's no big mountain range like the Diablo's separating say Pomona and Chino, or Claremont and Upland. In fact, I would argue Ontario is more part of Greater LA than Palmdale, despite Palmdale being in LA County
Precisely. Ontario is actually defined as part of the Los Angeles urbanized area by the Census.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:41 PM

4,369 posts, read 2,317,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
It's debatable if Stockton is part of the Bay Area or not,...
No, no it's not debatable, and this is coming from someone who was born and raised in the SF Bay Area and lived in the SF Bay Area nearly my whole life and who also knows Stockton and the other inland cities of San Joaquin County very well.

Some folks who could not afford to buy big houses in the SF Bay Area have moved to Stockton to do so and may like to think they are still a part of the Bay Area, but uh uh, nope.

The only cities that are part of the Bay Area are listed at the following website:

https://abag.ca.gov/overview/members.html

Old 02-05-2019, 12:52 AM

5,019 posts, read 6,417,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I disagree. You may sweat less in dry heat, but the dry heat also makes you itchy all over, cracks your skin, gives you bad dandruff, nosebleeds, and a stuffy nose. To me that's worse than being sweaty from humidity.

Also, rainless summers are a deal-breaker. Just months of dead, brown vegetation, very high fire danger, and whenever there's a heat wave, there's literally zero chance that an afternoon thunderstorm will cool everything off.

I also don't want summer nights cooling down to 60 or even 55 degrees by sunrise. I want to be able to sit on the porch in a t-shirt, shorts, and sandals, watching sunrise, and still be warm. I want to watch 4th of July fireworks or outdoor concerts late at night without having to carry a jacket.

I have endured months of summer weather in both Sacramento and the Louisiana/Mississippi Gulf Coast. Yes, there's more flooding on the Gulf Coast, but comfort-wise, the Gulf is a breeze compared to Sacramento (and Sacramento's already got the "mildest" summers in the Central Valley!)
I've just found someone whose preferences are 100% opposed to mine. You can have your Gulf Coast, and welcome to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather