U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-05-2019, 12:58 AM
 
Location: Downtown Phoenix, AZ
16,774 posts, read 5,945,731 times
Reputation: 4939

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
No, no it's not debatable, and this is coming from someone who was born and raised in the SF Bay Area and lived in the SF Bay Area nearly my whole life and who also knows Stockton and the other inland cities of San Joaquin County very well.

Some folks who could not afford to buy big houses in the SF Bay Area have moved to Stockton to do so and may like to think they are still a part of the Bay Area, but uh uh, nope.

The only cities that are part of the Bay Area are listed at the following website:



https://abag.ca.gov/overview/members.html
You know that San Joaquin County is in the Bay Area CSA, don't you? (San Benito and Santa Cruz Counties are as well)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-05-2019, 07:59 PM
 
Location: Erie, PA
2,532 posts, read 1,058,573 times
Reputation: 5623
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I disagree. You may sweat less in dry heat, but the dry heat also makes you itchy all over, cracks your skin, gives you bad dandruff, nosebleeds, and a stuffy nose. To me that's worse than being sweaty from humidity.

Also, rainless summers are a deal-breaker. Just months of dead, brown vegetation, very high fire danger, and whenever there's a heat wave, there's literally zero chance that an afternoon thunderstorm will cool everything off.

I also don't want summer nights cooling down to 60 or even 55 degrees by sunrise. I want to be able to sit on the porch in a t-shirt, shorts, and sandals, watching sunrise, and still be warm. I want to watch 4th of July fireworks or outdoor concerts late at night without having to carry a jacket.

I have endured months of summer weather in both Sacramento and the Louisiana/Mississippi Gulf Coast. Yes, there's more flooding on the Gulf Coast, but comfort-wise, the Gulf is a breeze compared to Sacramento (and Sacramento's already got the "mildest" summers in the Central Valley!)
I also can't deal with a dry climate and love humidity ::

However I will have to disagree on the part about cooling down at night.

My company sent me out to Phoenix and it was hot, hot, hot during the day. It honestly felt absolutely wonderful to sit out at night when the temperature dropped down into the lower 60's in my t-shirt, lol. Maybe I was absorbing some of that heat? It doesn't cool down all that much at night unless it's the winter months. I did enjoy that part of it. I remember walking around in a t-shirt at night when it was in the 60's and marveling at the other people wearing jackets/coats. They probably thought that I was absolutely crazy.

I couldn't live there but it's interesting to visit anyhow and the people were pretty nice.

As long as I can come back to my snowbelt I'm happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2019, 09:47 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
9,925 posts, read 8,822,823 times
Reputation: 5704
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
What's that?
Hippie Hollow is 5 mins away
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2019, 09:52 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
9,925 posts, read 8,822,823 times
Reputation: 5704
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I disagree. You may sweat less in dry heat, but the dry heat also makes you itchy all over, cracks your skin, gives you bad dandruff, nosebleeds, and a stuffy nose. To me that's worse than being sweaty from humidity.

Also, rainless summers are a deal-breaker. Just months of dead, brown vegetation, very high fire danger, and whenever there's a heat wave, there's literally zero chance that an afternoon thunderstorm will cool everything off.

I also don't want summer nights cooling down to 60 or even 55 degrees by sunrise. I want to be able to sit on the porch in a t-shirt, shorts, and sandals, watching sunrise, and still be warm. I want to watch 4th of July fireworks or outdoor concerts late at night without having to carry a jacket.

I have endured months of summer weather in both Sacramento and the Louisiana/Mississippi Gulf Coast. Yes, there's more flooding on the Gulf Coast, but comfort-wise, the Gulf is a breeze compared to Sacramento (and Sacramento's already got the "mildest" summers in the Central Valley!)
The dewpoint in "dry heat" in California is usually 50's and sometimes 40's. That's a comfortable dewpoint and would be considered "mild" in the winter. It's the 80F dewpoints that really become uncomfortable and you just stay sticky wet. The worst dewpoints are like the -10 in the winter up north or high elevation. That's dry with cracked fingers and nosebleeds. But 40 or 50 degree dewpoints don't do that, at least to me.

Now there are some areas in the Desert with 10 to 30 degree dewpoints, for instance Death Valley, but no big civilization is there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2019, 09:55 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
9,925 posts, read 8,822,823 times
Reputation: 5704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
The areas prone to flooding are the coastal areas with the king tide. The further inland the cheaper your homeowners insurance. Since the coast gets the brunt of the storms.
Hence why you have to live there next to a large swamp with stagnant air and lots of bugs.

The coastal area with breezes that keep the bugs at bay and water to cool off in as well as models to look at, are astronomically expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2019, 10:57 AM
 
1,072 posts, read 329,589 times
Reputation: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
The dewpoint in "dry heat" in California is usually 50's and sometimes 40's. That's a comfortable dewpoint and would be considered "mild" in the winter. It's the 80F dewpoints that really become uncomfortable and you just stay sticky wet. The worst dewpoints are like the -10 in the winter up north or high elevation. That's dry with cracked fingers and nosebleeds. But 40 or 50 degree dewpoints don't do that, at least to me.

Now there are some areas in the Desert with 10 to 30 degree dewpoints, for instance Death Valley, but no big civilization is there.
I prefer 80F dewpoints to the yucky, itchy 40 degree or even 30F dewpoints that plague the Central Valley all summer long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2019, 10:59 AM
 
1,072 posts, read 329,589 times
Reputation: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Hence why you have to live there next to a large swamp with stagnant air and lots of bugs.

The coastal area with breezes that keep the bugs at bay and water to cool off in as well as models to look at, are astronomically expensive.
Sure, but like I've said time and time again, the average person who's never been to Florida KNOWS Florida is all about humidity, swamps, bugs, and flooding. No surprise there.

And even Miami Beach is still bargain priced compared to Santa Monica or Newport Beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2019, 11:34 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX
9,925 posts, read 8,822,823 times
Reputation: 5704
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Sure, but like I've said time and time again, the average person who's never been to Florida KNOWS Florida is all about humidity, swamps, bugs, and flooding. No surprise there.

And even Miami Beach is still bargain priced compared to Santa Monica or Newport Beach.
But not bargain priced as compared to South Carolina coast or even Jacksonville coastal areas or South Padre or other Texas Gulf coastal areas.

A place like South Padre Island with a very similar climate to Florida and clear water is probably the most underrated beach of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2019, 11:36 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX
9,925 posts, read 8,822,823 times
Reputation: 5704
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I prefer 80F dewpoints to the yucky, itchy 40 degree or even 30F dewpoints that plague the Central Valley all summer long.
I don't think they are in the 30's. Maybe the high desert but not the Central Valley. Upper 40's maybe but that's comfy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2019, 01:45 PM
 
Location: Majestic Wyoming
628 posts, read 292,613 times
Reputation: 1736
Jackson, Wyoming and Star Valley, Wyoming are absolutely gorgeous in the summer. Temperatures stay in the 70-80 degree range, with an odd ball 90 thrown in every once in a blue moon. The nights cool down nicely into the 40's. Tourists visit in droves all the summer long, but let me tell you many people decide to make this area their home and find out just how harsh and unforgiving our winters are.

Months and months of winter with snow, ice, negative temperatures that go on and on. Definitely not the paradise people enjoy in the summer months. A lot of people snowbird out of here as soon as the snow starts to fly, and head for Arizona or California for eight months. This is an amazing place to visit, but few actually stick around to live here full-time. Bait & Switch indeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top