U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 12:26 PM

5,714 posts, read 3,084,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
A whole house humidifier will do wonders for your skin. No more nosebleeds and bleeding skin.

They should install those as mandatory on any forced air heating systems.

To be fair its not so bad at home. Its more at work. They keep the fan on sooo high it dries out my eyes, and a lot of the material I handle at work dries your skin out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 03:27 AM

384 posts, read 119,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I agree. Even though I love winter, I hate the dryness that comes with it. My hands get dry and bleed. I can't imagine dealing with dryness, which I hate, and high heat, which I also hate. At least I enjoy the cold so I put up with the dryness.

Humidity can suck too, but in some cases, like if you're in your backyard, shirtless, having a beer, it ain't so bad I can only enjoy dry heat if I'm swimming, otherwise its like an oven.
But no summer in California is as dry as a Midwestern winter! I saw negative dew points during your last major cold spell.
California summer days are usually 30-60 dewpoints and California winters are usually 30-50 dew points! CA cities will sometimes even beat out gulf cities for humidity during the winter. Humidity in the winter is a good thing, cause it makes your heater work less, which in turn saves you money.

Edit: current dew points

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 02-09-2019 at 03:39 AM..

Old 02-09-2019, 03:55 AM

384 posts, read 119,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I suppose time of year counts. But I went to Seattle in June and it was still drizzly, chilly, and overcast. No surprise there.

I think the biggest surprise would be the Central Valley of California. Brutally hot, endlessly sunny summers but rainy, foggy winters that actually have less sunshine hours than Boston in January, despite being further south than Boston.
December is always dark, but the southern central valley gets quite a bit of sun in January. If there's no rain forecast, it can get very sunny from Madera to Bakersfield for much of the winter. Example: yesterday was very sunny in Fresno, but it was cloudy in all of NorCal.

Fog is way less of an issue in the central valley than years past. You should have seen how bad it used to be. This is nothing.

Heat brutality depends on humidity levels. Sub 40 dewpoints and low 100f temps are a joke once you get used to them. edit:you live in the sac metro, right? Well, sac barely gets any sub 50 dewpoint days. You don't get to experience the niceness of bone dry air up in sacto very often

And i rather be outside at 100f/40 dewpoint than 93f and 50+ dew point. You cant feel the heaviness of the air at really low dew points, which makes walking outside more enjoyable to me.

106+ with 65f dewpoints days in the central valley - now those are rough.
Thankfully those days are rare outside late July and early August(peak monsoon season time for the deserts)

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 02-09-2019 at 05:23 AM..

Old 02-09-2019, 11:11 AM

1,079 posts, read 335,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
December is always dark, but the southern central valley gets quite a bit of sun in January. If there's no rain forecast, it can get very sunny from Madera to Bakersfield for much of the winter. Example: yesterday was very sunny in Fresno, but it was cloudy in all of NorCal.

Fog is way less of an issue in the central valley than years past. You should have seen how bad it used to be. This is nothing.

Heat brutality depends on humidity levels. Sub 40 dewpoints and low 100f temps are a joke once you get used to them. edit:you live in the sac metro, right? Well, sac barely gets any sub 50 dewpoint days. You don't get to experience the niceness of bone dry air up in sacto very often

And i rather be outside at 100f/40 dewpoint than 93f and 50+ dew point. You cant feel the heaviness of the air at really low dew points, which makes walking outside more enjoyable to me.

106+ with 65f dewpoints days in the central valley - now those are rough.
Thankfully those days are rare outside late July and early August(peak monsoon season time for the deserts)
From personal experience, 95 degrees with 80 degree dew points feels much better than 105 degrees with 40 degree dew points. Because with such high dew points, they'll probably be rain to cool everything off by 15 degrees, whereas summer rain is nonexistent in Sacto. Sub 50 dew points are actually very common in Sacramento, and they're nasty and itchy.

Old 02-09-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
But no summer in California is as dry as a Midwestern winter! I saw negative dew points during your last major cold spell.
California summer days are usually 30-60 dewpoints and California winters are usually 30-50 dew points! CA cities will sometimes even beat out gulf cities for humidity during the winter. Humidity in the winter is a good thing, cause it makes your heater work less, which in turn saves you money.

Edit: current dew points
Southern California does get dew points in the single digits when the Santa Ana winds blow and the relative humidity falls below ten percent. It's been exceptionally rainy and damp these past few weeks all over California.

Old 02-09-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Looking at the Jackson, WY forecast... seems fine to me lol. Not any colder than here. Actually summer nights in the 40s sound way worse. Too cold for summer.
Precisely. You see, the bone dry heat of the Western US means that the diurnal temp variation is incredibly large. And actually, last time I went to Yellowstone in August, it was 35 degrees at sunrise! And I was camping out in a tent, so no heating!

It's not just Wyoming that gets cold at night during the summer. Same could be said about Lake Tahoe in California.

Old 02-10-2019, 12:26 AM

250 posts, read 41,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Precisely. You see, the bone dry heat of the Western US means that the diurnal temp variation is incredibly large. And actually, last time I went to Yellowstone in August, it was 35 degrees at sunrise! And I was camping out in a tent, so no heating!

It's not just Wyoming that gets cold at night during the summer. Same could be said about Lake Tahoe in California.
I've experienced a 34F/1C morning temperature in Sunriver, OR in July. The plateau in south-central Oregon can get frost on any day of the year and often has the coldest low temperatures in the state in the spring and fall.

Old 02-10-2019, 02:42 AM

13,086 posts, read 17,479,216 times
Florida. People from the North spend a few days there sometime from mid-January to mid-February, when Florida is mostly sunny, mostly dry, and mild to warm. And they all go, "Wow, Florida has beautiful weather, and I hate winter back home, so I'm going to move here!" Then they move, but then they spend most of their time from mid-April to mid-October indoors, because Florida turns into a ****ing sauna where air conditioners have to run 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Adding insult to injury, Florida lives up to its nickname only half the time during that period of time, because the sky will be sunny only in the morning. By early afternoon, the sky will become mostly cloudy, and by late afternoon it will become stormy. But hey, the weather in Florida is beautiful because of that one time you visited in January.

Old 02-10-2019, 04:26 AM

13,416 posts, read 9,516,741 times
When you think about it, humans are prolific adapters. Instead of searching for the best climate, adapt the one you're already in.
Create your own vivarium, tailored to suit your ideal environment.

Of course, if you're trapped in an over sized coffin in a high rent megalopolis, oops.

Old 02-10-2019, 02:56 PM

9,962 posts, read 8,836,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
When you think about it, humans are prolific adapters. Instead of searching for the best climate, adapt the one you're already in.
Create your own vivarium, tailored to suit your ideal environment.

Of course, if you're trapped in an over sized coffin in a high rent megalopolis, oops.
That's why I live in Austin in a spacious house. Could not live in a cracker box in SF or NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather