Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 01:04 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Chickens View Post
Jackson, Wyoming and Star Valley, Wyoming are absolutely gorgeous in the summer. Temperatures stay in the 70-80 degree range, with an odd ball 90° thrown in every once in a blue moon. The nights cool down nicely into the 40's. Tourists visit in droves all the summer long, but let me tell you many people decide to make this area their home and find out just how harsh and unforgiving our winters are.

Months and months of winter with snow, ice, negative temperatures that go on and on. Definitely not the paradise people enjoy in the summer months. A lot of people snowbird out of here as soon as the snow starts to fly, and head for Arizona or California for eight months. This is an amazing place to visit, but few actually stick around to live here full-time. Bait & Switch indeed.
I agree with Wyoming. I remember when I drove OTR and still had to go through Wyoming on I-80 all the Spring snow they would get, even in May! They would close I-80 in winter conditions, which could happen anytime from late September to mid May
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 01:08 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,962,502 times
Quote:
Jackson, Wyoming and Star Valley, Wyoming are absolutely gorgeous in the summer. Temperatures stay in the 70-80 degree range, with an odd ball 90° thrown in every once in a blue moon. The nights cool down nicely into the 40's. Tourists visit in droves all the summer long, but let me tell you many people decide to make this area their home and find out just how harsh and unforgiving our winters are.

Months and months of winter with snow, ice, negative temperatures that go on and on. Definitely not the paradise people enjoy in the summer months. A lot of people snowbird out of here as soon as the snow starts to fly, and head for Arizona or California for eight months. This is an amazing place to visit, but few actually stick around to live here full-time. Bait & Switch indeed.
Good grief! 40 degrees at night in the summer? I'm out!

Old 02-06-2019, 01:25 PM

50,290 posts, read 47,043,365 times
San Diego probably qualifies as this. People vacation here and get all giddy. But, it's the beaches and most people that move here quickly find out they can't afford beach prices. They rent inland and get a nasty surprise about July with the heat. On top of that it can get downright cold at night in the winter too. Temps can vary 20 degrees from the beaches.

Old 02-06-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
San Diego probably qualifies as this. People vacation here and get all giddy. But, it's the beaches and most people that move here quickly find out they can't afford beach prices. They rent inland and get a nasty surprise about July with the heat. On top of that it can get downright cold at night in the winter too. Temps can vary 20 degrees from the beaches.
I agree about the Inland Heat! Last summer it got to 112 degrees in Escondido!

And it gets cold at night even during the summer, no matter how warm it was during the day!

Old 02-06-2019, 06:56 PM

6,798 posts, read 4,240,302 times
If you think about it...all seasonal climates are bait and switch. You visit in the summer and it's an entirely different world from how things get from mid October onward. You can't possibly get a feel for those places before spending an entire year there.

Old 02-06-2019, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
If you think about it...all seasonal climates are bait and switch. You visit in the summer and it's an entirely different world from how things get from mid October onward. You can't possibly get a feel for those places before spending an entire year there.
Not really; you can go to NYC during the summer and think, "the summer's not too bad (compared to Phoenix)," but you know for sure that there's going to be lots of snow come winter, even if you've never been there in the winter.

If I go to Buffalo in the summer, it would be pretty mild; but I KNOW that Buffalo gets snow everyday during the winter, even though I've never been there, period.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:14 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Almost nobody moves to Seattle or Portland for the weather. People would move to LA or San Diego if weather was the most important thing in their life.

I'm sure some people move up there in part of weather, especially people who hate the desert. I'd rather be in Seattle than Phoenix or LA.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I disagree. You may sweat less in dry heat, but the dry heat also makes you itchy all over, cracks your skin, gives you bad dandruff, nosebleeds, and a stuffy nose. To me that's worse than being sweaty from humidity.

Also, rainless summers are a deal-breaker. Just months of dead, brown vegetation, very high fire danger, and whenever there's a heat wave, there's literally zero chance that an afternoon thunderstorm will cool everything off.

I also don't want summer nights cooling down to 60 or even 55 degrees by sunrise. I want to be able to sit on the porch in a t-shirt, shorts, and sandals, watching sunrise, and still be warm. I want to watch 4th of July fireworks or outdoor concerts late at night without having to carry a jacket.

I have endured months of summer weather in both Sacramento and the Louisiana/Mississippi Gulf Coast. Yes, there's more flooding on the Gulf Coast, but comfort-wise, the Gulf is a breeze compared to Sacramento (and Sacramento's already got the "mildest" summers in the Central Valley!)

I agree. Even though I love winter, I hate the dryness that comes with it. My hands get dry and bleed. I can't imagine dealing with dryness, which I hate, and high heat, which I also hate. At least I enjoy the cold so I put up with the dryness.

Humidity can suck too, but in some cases, like if you're in your backyard, shirtless, having a beer, it ain't so bad I can only enjoy dry heat if I'm swimming, otherwise its like an oven.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:22 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I agree. Even though I love winter, I hate the dryness that comes with it. My hands get dry and bleed. I can't imagine dealing with dryness, which I hate, and high heat, which I also hate. At least I enjoy the cold so I put up with the dryness.

Humidity can suck too, but in some cases, like if you're in your backyard, shirtless, having a beer, it ain't so bad I can only enjoy dry heat if I'm swimming, otherwise its like an oven.
A whole house humidifier will do wonders for your skin. No more nosebleeds and bleeding skin.

They should install those as mandatory on any forced air heating systems.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:

Looking at the Jackson, WY forecast... seems fine to me lol. Not any colder than here. Actually summer nights in the 40s sound way worse. Too cold for summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather