U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 09:12 PM

1,036 posts, read 319,354 times

Advertisements

What areas have a Switch-and-bait climate? That is, tourists go to only the touristy expensive part of the city with the mild weather, then automatically assume that the entire city is just as nice, climate-wise, when in reality other parts of the city have brutal weather?

LA is such a switch-and-bait kind of climate. By which I mean tourists go to only the expensive beach areas and automatically think that all of the Greater LA area has this wonderful climate. Then they try to move here, but realize that everywhere with a mild climate in Greater LA is in$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$anely expen$$$$$$$$$$$$ive. So they have no choice but to look at the relatively cheap real estate in the Inland Empire, where they have fun with brutal summers punctuated with heat waves that can reach up to 110 degrees, with absolutely no rain nor cloud cover nor sea breeze all summer long, not to mention that autumn and winter is absolutely plagued with nasty Santa Ana winds that bring hurricane-force gusts, very itchy, migraine-inducing, allergy weather, and very high fire danger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2019, 09:26 PM

9,841 posts, read 8,797,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
What areas have a Switch-and-bait climate? That is, tourists go to only the touristy expensive part of the city with the mild weather, then automatically assume that the entire city is just as nice, climate-wise, when in reality other parts of the city have brutal weather?

LA is such a switch-and-bait kind of climate. By which I mean tourists go to only the expensive beach areas and automatically think that all of the Greater LA area has this wonderful climate. Then they try to move here, but realize that everywhere with a mild climate in Greater LA is in$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$anely expen$$$$$$$$$$$$ive. So they have no choice but to look at the relatively cheap real estate in the Inland Empire, where they have fun with brutal summers punctuated with heat waves that can reach up to 110 degrees, with absolutely no rain nor cloud cover nor sea breeze all summer long, not to mention that autumn and winter is absolutely plagued with nasty Santa Ana winds that bring hurricane-force gusts, very itchy, migraine-inducing, allergy weather, and very high fire danger.
Well the term is "bait and switch".

I think that Denver qualifies. Most people fly into DIA then take a rental car to the slopes at Aspen and think that's what CO is all about, then they settle down and find out they have to live in East Denver which is the Great Plains which has no trees, is flat and brown 9 months of the year and has omni-present annoying wind.

Old 02-01-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Well the term is "bait and switch".

I think that Denver qualifies. Most people fly into DIA then take a rental car to the slopes at Aspen and think that's what CO is all about, then they settle down and find out they have to live in East Denver which is the Great Plains which has no trees, is flat and brown 9 months of the year and has omni-present annoying wind.
I guess bait and switch climates tend to be in the West, where there are many microclimates, and the most desirable microclimates are the most touristy and expensive.

Old 02-01-2019, 11:16 AM

248 posts, read 37,824 times
There aren’t really any cities that come to mind but whole states/provinces do. People go to Montana/Alberta and see the beautiful Rockies, and that’s their impression of those places, but then they realize 2/3 of MT/AB is flat farmland with frigid winters. Similar to the Denver comment.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:06 PM

9,841 posts, read 8,797,628 times
Maybe Miami with the swamplands on the backsides? People visit Miami Beach, see it in all its glory then realize they can't afford it and have to be out near the Everglades with no beaches, mosquitoes, no ocean wind, and prone to flooding?

Old 02-01-2019, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Maybe Miami with the swamplands on the backsides? People visit Miami Beach, see it in all its glory then realize they can't afford it and have to be out near the Everglades with no beaches, mosquitoes, no ocean wind, and prone to flooding?
Nah. I think most people really expect Florida to be flooding-prone and mosquito-ridden, anyways.

Old 02-01-2019, 11:36 PM

3,763 posts, read 1,983,144 times
Does time of the year count? For instance many people visit Seattle in the summer and find out that it's not as rainy as they expected and that it in fact has very nice weather. But then when they actually move here they find out just how depressing winters can get here. Particularly for people who are used to sunny winters.

Old 02-02-2019, 12:53 AM

248 posts, read 37,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Does time of the year count? For instance many people visit Seattle in the summer and find out that it's not as rainy as they expected and that it in fact has very nice weather. But then when they actually move here they find out just how depressing winters can get here. Particularly for people who are used to sunny winters.
Thatís why people who move from sunny climates are advised to visit in Nov-Feb to get an idea of what winter weather is like. A lot of people with SAD live in sunny climates and donít even know they have it. Then they move up north, be it PNW or Northeast, and it hits them.

Old 02-02-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
I suppose time of year counts. But I went to Seattle in June and it was still drizzly, chilly, and overcast. No surprise there.

I think the biggest surprise would be the Central Valley of California. Brutally hot, endlessly sunny summers but rainy, foggy winters that actually have less sunshine hours than Boston in January, despite being further south than Boston.

Old 02-02-2019, 03:13 PM

16,741 posts, read 5,914,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I suppose time of year counts. But I went to Seattle in June and it was still drizzly, chilly, and overcast. No surprise there.

I think the biggest surprise would be the Central Valley of California. Brutally hot, endlessly sunny summers but rainy, foggy winters that actually have less sunshine hours than Boston in January, despite being further south than Boston.
Summers in the central valley are hot, but not brutally hot. Our summers here in Phoenix are brutally hot, especially since we don't cool down at night, unlike say Fresno or Merced. We can only dream of a night in the 60s from mid June until mid September
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather