U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:12 AM
BMI

6,885 posts, read 4,084,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Move to Texas and you won't have to deal with it. We rarely get snow and haven't had an ice storm in years.
Well, probably true for some areas of Texas....maybe even most.

But there are areas of Texas that do have to deal with it, mainly the Panhandle,
places like Amarillo.

Even Houston can get icy, never mind Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:48 PM

1,493 posts, read 2,197,196 times
Dc

Old Today, 09:24 AM

3,028 posts, read 1,655,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
I think DC is at the worst point between gets just enough snow that it gets annoying/but just not quite enough to learn to deal with it. Richmond gets less snow, Philly's better at dealing with it.
Sounds about right. One city it isn't is Anchorage.

Our little towns in SE Alaska typically handle it well, though there are always some knuckleheads who will drive too fast for conditions and have an accident. The great thing about my location is that many folks need not drive at all if they don't want to. Walk to work, walk to stores-take the city bus- the heck with being dependent on an automobile.

Old Today, 04:35 PM

2,535 posts, read 1,058,573 times
Definitely in the Deep South, and not so great in SC when I lived there. It snowed less than 1" when I lived there and people were going off the road and having accidents left and right--pure insanity.

A few people up in the northern states that get snow all of the time because they think that AWD means that they can brake and stop fast on the slippery stuff better than cars without AWD, lol.

This dude who ran through a roped off barrier, drove on the ice onto a flooded road and then broke through needing rescued. Stopped traffic for about an hour so I had an interesting reason for being late for work that day ::

Don't even get me started on the guy in the big AWD SUV who roared past everyone on the Bayfront Parkway while it was snowy with a layer of ice underneath and lost control, slid into the oncoming lane causing a truck to jackknife. The SUV then flipped over the no-go and splashed into Lake Erie. That one also held up traffic for a good hour or so.

Bad thing about that kind of thing here is that we get snow all of the time in winter so people should know better; at least the people down South have a reason for not knowing how to drive on snow. Up here in Erie they have no good excuse.

Old Today, 05:36 PM

1,493 posts, read 2,197,196 times
DC just needs to forecast snow which is enough to send the city into a panic state, grocery stores thrive and everyone shops like they are going to be indoors for 2 months. Then 24 hours after the snow started, everyone has cabin fever and has to rush out to get in the streets just because everyone else seems it the thing to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or