Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 06:03 AM

49 posts, read 46,284 times

Advertisements

How warm Mediterranean sea will be if we cut off inflow from Atlantic a replace them with inflow from tropical Indian ocean? Red sea is now massive strait. A lot deeper and larger than Gibraltar in real world. Red sea in summer has SST around 32C/90F degrees and remain above 20C even in the winter. And this water will now fed mediterranean. Instead of relatively cool Atlantic waters which barely have SST 20+ C/70+ F in late summer. And what about other impacts? Formation of warm core cyclones, precipitation, etc.

Discuss now.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 11:01 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless42 View Post
How warm Mediterranean sea will be if we cut off inflow from Atlantic a replace them with inflow from tropical Indian ocean? Red sea is now massive strait. A lot deeper and larger than Gibraltar in real world. Red sea in summer has SST around 32C/90F degrees and remain above 20C even in the winter. And this water will now fed mediterranean. Instead of relatively cool Atlantic waters which barely have SST 20+ C/70+ F in late summer. And what about other impacts? Formation of warm core cyclones, precipitation, etc.

Discuss now.
The warmer SSTs in the Mediterranean would likely cause more convection and thunderstorms in summer. The Mediterranean might even have more tropical cyclones.

Old 02-10-2019, 11:40 AM

1,503 posts, read 912,723 times
Presumably ocean water would still flow in at the surface and would be concentrated by evaporation, become more saline, sink and flow out underneath the surface inflow.

It would be more interesting I think if the Mediterranean was open at both ends. Probably this would cause the whole world to warm somewhat as it would re-establish more circulation between the warmer parts of the oceans that was cut off when the exchange between the Pacific and Atlantic was severed by the formation of the isthmus of Panama.

Old 02-10-2019, 12:24 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,920,492 times
I don't know about the climate but sea levels will slightly increase in the eastern Mediterranean and salinity will slightly drop.

Old 02-10-2019, 02:17 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
The climate wouldn't be much different as nothing is there to diminish the influence of the Sahara Desert which dominates the Mediterranean during the summer. So it would still be a Med climate. I imagine that winter would be quite warmer though and probably more stormy. I think that the warmer water with cold storms coming over it in the winter would mean that instead of having a maximum precipitation in October, it would occur in December/January like it does in CA.

The Baltics would no longer have a cold winter and Greece would be much warmer in the winter, as would Turkey. It's possible places like Greece/Turkey would be as hot as Iraq.

The fish stock would change from Atlantic based types of fish to Red Sea type of fish. This would mean the cuisine would change greatly.

So you would have countries like Italy eating cornetfish instead of European Seabass. I would presume that the Middle Eastern way (or Southern US way) of preparing fish would prevail from Spain to Egypt instead of the European way. Cod would virtually be eliminated, Italy would not eat it at all. France and Spain could still eat it because of their Atlantic coastline.

It would be great because Red Sea catfish would live all over the Mediterranean. You'd be able to get really great fried catfish, it would be like the American South.

Another effect of this would be that Egypt would have many more cities along the Red Sea and I believe the climate of Cairo would be fully Mediterranean not Desert. Egypt would basically be many times its current population.

I also estimate that they would've been a SpanMoro Canal in between Spain and Morocco so the effects would be mitigated slightly, just like how the Suez Canal brings some Red Sea water into the Eastern Mediterranean.

Old 02-10-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisfbath View Post
Presumably ocean water would still flow in at the surface and would be concentrated by evaporation, become more saline, sink and flow out underneath the surface inflow.

It would be more interesting I think if the Mediterranean was open at both ends. Probably this would cause the whole world to warm somewhat as it would re-establish more circulation between the warmer parts of the oceans that was cut off when the exchange between the Pacific and Atlantic was severed by the formation of the isthmus of Panama.
I expect something similar. Evaporation across semi-enclosed Medi. will naturally create pressure gradient which will help draw waters from south to the north. And dense salty waters from Medi. will flow beneath to the Indien ocean. Same like in the Gibraltar strait. And Indian ocean already exchange its waters with Atlantic around southern tip of Africa

Old 02-11-2019, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
The climate wouldn't be much different as nothing is there to diminish the influence of the Sahara Desert which dominates the Mediterranean during the summer. So it would still be a Med climate. I imagine that winter would be quite warmer though and probably more stormy. I think that the warmer water with cold storms coming over it in the winter would mean that instead of having a maximum precipitation in October, it would occur in December/January like it does in CA.

The Baltics would no longer have a cold winter and Greece would be much warmer in the winter, as would Turkey. It's possible places like Greece/Turkey would be as hot as Iraq.

The fish stock would change from Atlantic based types of fish to Red Sea type of fish. This would mean the cuisine would change greatly.

So you would have countries like Italy eating cornetfish instead of European Seabass. I would presume that the Middle Eastern way (or Southern US way) of preparing fish would prevail from Spain to Egypt instead of the European way. Cod would virtually be eliminated, Italy would not eat it at all. France and Spain could still eat it because of their Atlantic coastline.

It would be great because Red Sea catfish would live all over the Mediterranean. You'd be able to get really great fried catfish, it would be like the American South.

Another effect of this would be that Egypt would have many more cities along the Red Sea and I believe the climate of Cairo would be fully Mediterranean not Desert. Egypt would basically be many times its current population.

I also estimate that they would've been a SpanMoro Canal in between Spain and Morocco so the effects would be mitigated slightly, just like how the Suez Canal brings some Red Sea water into the Eastern Mediterranean.
I think Cairo will be still desertic because of winds. Low presssure areas will be still coming from the west and prefrontal winds will blow from Sahara and all moisture will be pushed towards Turkey. Btw. Interesting note on the food.

And why Baltics will be winter free? They are still far away from Medi. Maybe more moisture from south will support heavier snowstorms in conjunction with continental air from Siberia.

Last edited by Nameless42; 02-11-2019 at 07:39 AM..

Old 02-11-2019, 03:21 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
The warmer SSTs in the Mediterranean would likely cause more convection and thunderstorms in summer. The Mediterranean might even have more tropical cyclones.
The Arabian Sea and Persian Gulf have 90°F+ water in summer, yet that is the dry season in that region, due to high pressure

Old 02-11-2019, 05:57 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
The Arabian Sea and Persian Gulf have 90°F+ water in summer, yet that is the dry season in that region, due to high pressure
Yeah but the Mediterranean is further north and so is less affected by the permanent high pressure in summer than the Arabian sea and Persian Gulf.

Old 02-12-2019, 06:22 AM

Yes. Increase in t-storm frequency in summer will be most prominent in the northern outskirts (Generally north of 40°) where t-storms are relatively common or they are common (north Adriatic, Po valley). But cities like Naples, Firenze, Roma have only borderline Csa/Cfa climate instead of pure Csa and slight increase of t-storm should result in shift to the Cfa climate. For example. Tirana (capital of Albania) has mediterranean rainfall pattern, but rainfall even in the summer is still to heavy to recognise this city as Csa climate

Last edited by Nameless42; 02-12-2019 at 06:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather