Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 11:54 AM

650 posts, read 449,670 times

Advertisements

I am on many sites and groups so I noticed a lot of the people that are in certain groups seem to have an obvious similarity in way of thinking and personality because after all they are apart of the same group. Nevertheless, one thing I have witness is the fact that in every group one kind of climate dominates where everyone lives. Before anyone asks, they do not know each other or are related in anyway. These people are random. In the first group, people are mostly indoor people that like to read comics and anime. They also have a huge interest in politics and are very left leaning and socially they are not nationalists at all. All of them come from climates that are cold. From about South Bend to Southern Ontario to the high mountains of the Rockies to North Dakota to Wisconsin to the Sierra Nevedas to Norway. Then a second group I am on are all the opposite. More outdoorsy and politically they don't lean quite as left at all, in fact they are downright right wing lol. I am talking climates from Louisiana, Australia, Florida, Texas, inland California, Lake Havasu City, Mecca, other Middle Eastern places, and Singapore.

Do you believe there is a divide between people in certain climates?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2019, 12:06 PM

2,413 posts, read 1,038,417 times
Well California is left wing so that's not quite right.

Old 02-17-2019, 12:09 PM

5,195 posts, read 1,868,950 times
Not seeing any real association between climate and political leanings on the broader scale. There is an association between poverty and climate very much so. Hotter countries tend to be much poorer and 3rd world and colder countries are relatively far more developed and first world standard. With a few exceptions.

Old 02-17-2019, 12:23 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
All I know is that Continental climates cause me seasonal depression from late fall through almost mid Spring

Old 02-17-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
All I know is that Continental climates cause me seasonal depression from late fall through almost mid Spring
Well it depends on the sunshine hours. Oceanic climates usually have lower sunshine hours. So for me it's usually oceanic climates that cause this, continental less so, though that's not always the case.

Old 02-17-2019, 12:47 PM

650 posts, read 449,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy1234 View Post
Well California is left wing so that's not quite right.

Yeah that is quite true. I am mostly speaking from my own experiences, and I will be honest with you in that I don't quite agree that climates influences how you think by themselves. I do agree that a climate can determine your mood as I get down if it is way too hot, especially indoors when I want to sleep. Nevertheless, I will still enjoy a nice idyllic hot day on the beach at times, but I couldn't deal with that year round.

Old 02-17-2019, 01:24 PM

1,503 posts, read 912,723 times
Quote:
Well it depends on the sunshine hours. Oceanic climates usually have lower sunshine hours. So for me it's usually oceanic climates that cause this, continental less so, though that's not always the case.
I think it depends more on the latitude as the higher the latitude the shorter the days are in winter and the weaker the sun is, even if the sky is clear. Even midday midwinter sun in England is so weak it feels like late afternoon to me. On the other hand I doubt there is much SAD in the tropics, even in almost perpetually cloudy climates because the days don't get short and the strength of the sun (above the clouds) is enough to give quite bright conditions even on overcast days.

That's why I don't give too much weight to sunshine hours as you can't really compare the sunshine hours of say London and Quibdo.

Old 02-17-2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisfbath View Post
I think it depends more on the latitude as the higher the latitude the shorter the days are in winter and the weaker the sun is, even if the sky is clear. Even midday midwinter sun in England is so weak it feels like late afternoon to me. On the other hand I doubt there is much SAD in the tropics, even in almost perpetually cloudy climates because the days don't get short and the strength of the sun (above the clouds) is enough to give quite bright conditions even on overcast days.

That's why I don't give too much weight to sunshine hours as you can't really compare the sunshine hours of say London and Quibdo.
I disagree. In Quibdo you could get SAD all year because of the low sun hours despite the latitude and temps. In contrast, in London you would only get SAD from September to March. And in Khatgal, Mongolia above the 50th parallel north, you would never get SAD despite the latitude and temps.

Old 02-17-2019, 03:01 PM

1,503 posts, read 912,723 times
Quote:
I disagree. In Quibdo you could get SAD all year because of the low sun hours despite the latitude and temps. In contrast, in London you would only get SAD from September to March. And in Khatgal, Mongolia above the 50th parallel north, you would never get SAD despite the latitude and temps.
Have you ever been to the tropics? It's not my experience at all, even on overcast days and I do suffer from SAD badly. I've been to Kuala Lumpur and Kuching in Malaysia and Cairns and Townsville in Australia.

Old 02-17-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisfbath View Post
Have you ever been to the tropics? It's not my experience at all, even on overcast days and I do suffer from SAD badly. I've been to Kuala Lumpur and Kuching in Malaysia and Cairns and Townsville in Australia.
No, I have never been to the tropics. The furthest south I have ever been was Zante, Greece at 38°N and that was in May 2013. It was sunny and delightful, about 24°C. This July I plan to drive to Tarifa, Spain at 36°N.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather