U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-22-2019, 05:08 PM
 
Location: Downtown Phoenix, AZ
17,029 posts, read 6,056,360 times
Reputation: 4995

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy1234 View Post
Well that's unusual. LA has summer weather all year, normal in January is 20C and sunny!
That's not summer weather, also consider average lows in winter in LA are below 10C
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-22-2019, 05:36 PM
 
12,880 posts, read 8,765,312 times
Reputation: 4186
My nasty summers would make LA blush and roll over and die. With my 75 to 85f dew points them people would kill themselfs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2019, 03:47 AM
 
Location: Bidford-on-Avon, England
2,342 posts, read 282,996 times
Reputation: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
That's not summer weather, also consider average lows in winter in LA are below 10C
Yes it is. Many places in the world have average lows of 9 in summer. The high of 20 with sunshine makes it summerlike.

Note that Phoenix summers have excessive heat so that isn't really summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2019, 11:23 AM
 
Location: Downtown Phoenix, AZ
17,029 posts, read 6,056,360 times
Reputation: 4995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy1234 View Post
Yes it is. Many places in the world have average lows of 9 in summer. The high of 20 with sunshine makes it summerlike.

Note that Phoenix summers have excessive heat so that isn't really summer.
Well I grew up in NY, and we would almost NEVER see a low below 10C in the summer there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2019, 11:38 AM
 
Location: Bidford-on-Avon, England
2,342 posts, read 282,996 times
Reputation: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Well I grew up in NY, and we would almost NEVER see a low below 10C in the summer there
Lows sometimes go below 10C here in summer, in fact almost every night in June and we have proper summers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2019, 02:30 PM
 
Location: Northern Virginia
330 posts, read 113,781 times
Reputation: 673
Lows won't go that far down in the summer in the Eastern U.S. because of much more reliably hot weather and the high humidity levels. Summer dewpoints in the Eastern part of the country are typically above 60 with values that would get thunderstorm lovers in Europe excited due to their relative scarcity there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2019, 05:38 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley
3,314 posts, read 1,443,282 times
Reputation: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwumavs View Post
I don't live in Los Angeles and never have, but is this a pretty accurate take on L.A. weather? Please make any corrections as needed.
  • Spring: February through June (5 months)
  • Summer: July through October (4 months)
  • Fall: November (1 month)
  • Winter: December and January (2 months)
  • Lots of seasonal lag in the spring and summer
  • Almost no fall goes quickly from summer (high of 85F) to winter (high of 65F) in the span of a month
  • Takes forever to warm up over the spring months
  • "June gloom" is a real thing, with June days often being cloudy/foggy and struggling to get out of the 60s F, especially near the ocean, while much of the rest of the country is already in the 80s and 90s F
  • Winter days are often cool, rainy, and cloudy, with those days being stuck in the upper 50s and lower 60s F but interspersed with warmer, sunnier days (70s F) and even a few hotter days here and there
  • Winter weather, whether it's more of a sunnier/warmer winter or a rainier/cooler winter, depends on if it's an El Nio year or a La Nia year
  • It's still peak summer heat in October and early November, when the rest of the country is already deep in the throes of fall
70's - 80's, Sunshine, cloudless with 100% chance of snowflakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2019, 06:58 PM
DKM
 
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
2,398 posts, read 825,517 times
Reputation: 2478
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwumavs View Post
I don't live in Los Angeles and never have, but is this a pretty accurate take on L.A. weather? Please make any corrections as needed.
  • Spring: February through June (5 months)
  • Summer: July through October (4 months)
  • Fall: November (1 month)
  • Winter: December and January (2 months)
  • Lots of seasonal lag in the spring and summer
  • Almost no fall goes quickly from summer (high of 85F) to winter (high of 65F) in the span of a month
  • Takes forever to warm up over the spring months
  • "June gloom" is a real thing, with June days often being cloudy/foggy and struggling to get out of the 60s F, especially near the ocean, while much of the rest of the country is already in the 80s and 90s F
  • Winter days are often cool, rainy, and cloudy, with those days being stuck in the upper 50s and lower 60s F but interspersed with warmer, sunnier days (70s F) and even a few hotter days here and there
  • Winter weather, whether it's more of a sunnier/warmer winter or a rainier/cooler winter, depends on if it's an El Nio year or a La Nia year
  • It's still peak summer heat in October and early November, when the rest of the country is already deep in the throes of fall
It varies year to year. Last year winter didn't start until March and it ended in March. This year it got going right around Thanksgiving and hasn't let up (save for a few warm days). I think we haven't seen 80 more than 1 day since November, which sounds weird but that's unusual for here. If feels like winter is over though, and everyday now is getting warmer and back to 70s next week (phew!).

It does take a while to warm up in the spring but what you notice most is the nights warm up from the deep winter nights. We don't have much June gloom though. I'm not in LA and its a bit different out here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2019, 01:35 PM
 
13 posts, read 1,318 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Does LA really have a 4 season climate? To me, it's more of a 2 season climate. Wet season and dry season.
It does. Decidious trees lose their leaves so it's still a 4 season climate, we've seen cloudy, rainy days with highs of just 12C and lows of 3-4C over the past 2 weeks just in downtown LA. I know it's well under average, but this happens from time to time. February is a winter month, since this is quite different from April, August or November.

Even SF has 4 seasons!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2019, 01:39 PM
 
Location: Bidford-on-Avon, England
2,342 posts, read 282,996 times
Reputation: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipan001 View Post
It does. Decidious trees lose their leaves so it's still a 4 season climate, we've seen cloudy, rainy days with highs under 13C and lows under 6C over the past 2 weeks. That's quite different from April, August or November.

Even SF has 4 seasons!
LA has summer year round. Trees loose their leaves with 20C highs in winter! Even Malaga is green year-round with 17C winter highs! SF has 2 seasons, summer which lasts from May to October and Spring which lasts from November to April.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top