U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 01:52 PM

2,413 posts, read 311,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Malaga is chilly in winter and has seen snow before .
Malaga has mild winters, with warm days actually. Mlaga city has only recorded snow one day in the 20th century, on 2 February 1954.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 03:04 PM

1,282 posts, read 390,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I know what the averages are, but that doesn't mean it's that warm every day

Do you remember the summer of 2010? For most of the summer, the coast was only having highs in the 60s, the basin only had highs in the 70s, and the valleys were only having highs in the 80s most of the summer, due to persistant troughing and onshore flow over the western US.

I can even reference the day I was talking about in August of 2016:

It was Friday August 26th, 2016. Ontario had a high of 84 and a low of 61 that day; Riverside had a high of 85 and a low of 63; and San Bernardino had a high of 86 and a low of 52. All observations taken from airport stations, you can look them up.

And that day had marine layer and fog in the morning all the way out to Banning, which gave way to clear skies by about noon
Look, I admit that you will have nice days in the Inland Empire in August. But can you honestly say that Friday August 26th, 2016 is your average summer day in the Inland Empire? No. So stop acting like it is.

Old 02-24-2019, 07:11 PM

17 posts, read 1,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy1234 View Post
20C is our average high in June, so it is summer temps. No I have never been to LA, I have never been outside Europe. I thought that deciduous trees in warm climates stayed green all year? SF does not have winters, it is sunny and mild in ''winter'' and sunny and hot in summer.
I will reply to the coherent part since it's clear you will still say the same about the temps. In warm climates like LA or the example you've given before, Malaga (which has slightly cooler winters than LA), they still lose their foliage even if the winters are mild/warm. Why? That's a good question. I don't know why they lose their foliage in places with sunny, 19-20 or 17-18C avg winter highs like these 2 places. This happens even in northern Florida which is at a latitude of just 30N.

Anyways, there is a clear difference in warmer climates. Trees lose their leaves a lot of days after places with cool autumns and cold winters, and they also get them back at least 1 month before than in a normal temperate climate, like, let's say, New York.

Now sticking back to the thread. Few days ago, trustworthy sources like NBC reported snow flakes in the northern suburbs of LA such as Eagle Rock, Pasadena and Calabasas. The downtown itself had a cold, rainy day with 3-4C lows and highs of 12-13C. Yes, this is rare and it's not normal weather in LA, but this is winter weather for sure.

"First snowstorm in decades hits Los Angeles" Feb. 22, 2019

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/weather...ggedon-n974306

Last edited by Taipan001; 02-24-2019 at 07:38 PM.. Reason: Adding NBC source. The page itself has many videos.

Old 02-24-2019, 08:12 PM

6,028 posts, read 3,733,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipan001 View Post
I will reply to the coherent part since it's clear you will still say the same about the temps. In warm climates like LA or the example you've given before, Malaga (which has slightly cooler winters than LA), they still lose their foliage even if the winters are mild/warm. Why? That's a good question. I don't know why they lose their foliage in places with sunny, 19-20 or 17-18C avg winter highs like these 2 places. This happens even in northern Florida which is at a latitude of just 30N.
Deciduous trees lose their leaves in response not only to cooler temperatures but to the decreased amount of daylight in the winter. They lose them sooner in northern latitudes because the days get colder and shorter, faster.

Now, some deciduous trees that lose all of their leaves in areas with shorter, colder days will keep at least some of them in warmer locations. For example, my Fuji apple tree still has some leaves, though not nearly as many as it will have in the spring. My ginkgo, however, is completely bare. I suppose some deciduous trees are more sensitive to the daylight/temperature signals than others.

Old 02-24-2019, 11:48 PM

10,052 posts, read 11,503,990 times
Quote:
It does. Decidious trees lose their leaves so it's still a 4 season climate, we've seen cloudy, rainy days with highs of just 12C and lows of 3-4C over the past 2 weeks just in downtown LA. I know it's well under average, but this happens from time to time. February is a winter month, since this is quite different from April, August or November.

Even SF has 4 seasons!
Just because some species of trees lose their leaves in a place, doesn't mean a place has a winter. Whether a tree loses its leaves or not is due to genetics and not temperature.

To me LA does not have a winter. It has a short mild to
cool at times wet season and a long warm to hot dry season. In order to have a winter IMO, you need at least a day where the high temp doesn't climb above 32F and it stays frozen all day. When was the last time that happened in LA? I suspect never. Even under my definition where I live in Vancouver has a very short winter, usually 1-2 weeks in an average year.

Old 02-25-2019, 03:21 AM

Quote:

Anyways, there is a clear difference in warmer climates. Trees lose their leaves a lot of days after places with cool autumns and cold winters, and they also get them back at least 1 month before than in a normal temperate climate, like, let's say, New York.

Now sticking back to the thread. Few days ago, trustworthy sources like NBC reported snow flakes in the northern suburbs of LA such as Eagle Rock, Pasadena and Calabasas. The downtown itself had a cold, rainy day with 3-4C lows and highs of 12-13C. Yes, this is rare and it's not normal weather in LA, but this is winter weather for sure.

"First snowstorm in decades hits Los Angeles" Feb. 22, 2019

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/weather...ggedon-n974306
It snowed in June 1975 in Buxton, Derbyshire. Doesn't make June a winter month.

Old 02-25-2019, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Just because some species of trees lose their leaves in a place, doesn't mean a place has a winter. Whether a tree loses its leaves or not is due to genetics and not temperature.

To me LA does not have a winter. It has a short mild to
cool at times wet season and a long warm to hot dry season. In order to have a winter IMO, you need at least a day where the high temp doesn't climb above 32F and it stays frozen all day. When was the last time that happened in LA? I suspect never. Even under my definition where I live in Vancouver has a very short winter, usually 1-2 weeks in an average year.
I disagree. Winter is gloomy with highs below 10C. So that's at least 3 months of the year in a normal year here.

Old 02-25-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
I disagree. Winter is gloomy with highs below 10C. So that's at least 3 months of the year in a normal year here.
In your opinion, is there any difference between a day in late November that is overcast and 8C and one in the middle of January that is overcast and 8C?

Old 02-25-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
In your opinion, is there any difference between a day in late November that is overcast and 8C and one in the middle of January that is overcast and 8C?
No.

Old 02-25-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
No.
So then if there is no difference to you, would they be considered different seasons?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or