U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 12:06 AM

5,833 posts, read 3,146,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
People can call it whatever they want, it still illustrates the logical fallacy of being a cold lover.

You make no sense. Lots of people love scuba diving and the ocean... doesn't mean they don't take the risk of drowning seriously.

I dunno what "logic" you are looking for. I personally love cold (regular cold, mind you, like between 10-30 F) because it feels good to me (refreshing) and I love snow. I enjoy these things. Doesn't mean I want frostbite and hypothermia. I understand there's risks. I like driving, BUT I understand the risks of getting into an accident if I'm not careful. I love food, doesn't mean I don't care about choking. Catch my (snow) drift?

Old 03-03-2019, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericmrtt View Post
My post is all in Fahrenheit. 10 degrees above isn't too different to me as 10 degrees below. Both require layers, and once getting that cold, it really all starts to feel the same. It is very COLD!! I haven't felt temperatures -20 or colder, so I guess it would be more layers, and would be considered extremely COLD!

I experienced -20 this winter (as cold as -26) and yes its cold, but unlike the heat, the cold doesn't hit you all at once. Its a lot slower (unless you get wet) and it feels crisp. Now, granted when I experienced those temps, for the most part, I was only outside for a little bit and there was sun. One day though, there was little sun and it was -18, it felt soooo much worse. I had to drive and it took forever for my car to warm up. My feet were freezing.

Old 03-03-2019, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
No, it doesn't. When it's 30F above, you don't go out for the day wearing just a pair of shorts, do you? Of course not; if you did, you'd die of hypothermia. You wear several layers of clothing, right? Same as when I go out when it's -10. I wear a thicker jacket, plus a hat and gloves that I don't normally wear, and that's it. It's a tiny tradeoff to enjoy the crisp, clean, sharp air, the crystal clear light, and the sounds that you can only hear in very cold air. Are people who enjoy hot weather hypocrites because they don't wear flannel shirts?

Its funny to me when cold haters bring up "you bundle up in the cold, so do you REALLY like it?" umm not all of us see bundling up as a bad thing. I personally love wearing layers, its super cozy. Its annoying to add or remove sometimes, I'll give you that, but once you're wearing them, nothing nicer than warm clean layers. Especially fuzzy socks! My only real issue with winter wear is it does get boring wearing the same jackets for 4 months. Plus, at some point I may wanna show off my arms after all this shovelling

Old 03-03-2019, 12:20 AM

366 posts, read 99,839 times
From what I have noticed, I don't get sick of the cold as much as I get sick of the heat after a long summer. There were certainly a hand full of mornings here in the -30F to -40F range too. I still can't believe the few people that actually thought Bemidji is warmer than Detroit.

Old 03-03-2019, 12:21 AM

7,013 posts, read 4,440,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenderFrost View Post
Well, there's lots of people on the forum who swear that "windchill is irrelevant" and I simply can't agree.

Perhaps they don't experience it the same way. Look, I LOVE cold, I love subzero temps, but can't say the same about windchill. It simply gets everywhere.

Even at -20F, I can go out and have my long T-shirt base layer untucked, because with top layers, it doesn't matter. But with windchill, you instantly get wind blowing on your back, from down under, regardless of how many layers you got on top.

Windchill is even worse, when you sweat. I often run with my husky and can get sweaty, even at -20F (it's just a question of layers), but it's the windchill that makes it uncomfortable.
People really say that windchill is "irrelevant"? Well, that's absurd. They've never experienced extreme windchill, then. I can comfortably be outside in shirtsleeves in 0F temperatures if the air is calm, but if you suddenly introduce a 20MPH wind, it's going to become very relevant very quickly. There's just no denying it; windchill cools you down much faster and has a direct impact on how much time you can spend outside with any given clothing set.

Old 03-03-2019, 12:42 AM

4,794 posts, read 5,628,048 times
For nearly the entire month of February where I live in Montana, its only gotten up to 12F for a high on a couple days. The rest of the month the highs were around -5 up to 0 F,with lows down between -12 and -20 F. Tonight its supposed to get down to -30F, and a 10 MPH wind that brings it down to about -45F.

The lowest temperature ever recorded in the lower 48 happened not too far from where I live at -68 degrees Fahrenheit.

You get used to it. I can't take a lot of heat, really miserable when it gets above 75F. My best range is between 40 and 50F.

Biggest PITA with cold is keeping your vehicles and machinery running when the temps go down to really cold.

Old Today, 06:19 AM

24 posts, read 4,250 times
If there is no wind, -20*C is enjoyable with proper dressing but when it is as cold -30*C, it becomes unstandable, way too cold.

After Göle, other places in Eastern Turkey feels warm. It is so sad that Turkish Met Office publishes long term averages of provincial capitals only.

Last edited by Nikkaluokta; Today at 06:51 AM..

Old Today, 08:59 AM

2,428 posts, read 306,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkaluokta View Post
If there is no wind, -20*C is enjoyable with proper dressing but when it is as cold -30*C, it becomes unstandable, way too cold.

After Göle, other places in Eastern Turkey feels warm. It is so sad that Turkish Met Office publishes long term averages of provincial capitals only.
-20°C is nowhere near enjoyable. It is arctic, bitterly cold hat scarf and gloves weather. 11°C is enjoyable.

Old Today, 09:32 AM

24 posts, read 4,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy1234 View Post
-20°C is nowhere near enjoyable. It is arctic, bitterly cold hat scarf and gloves weather. 11°C is enjoyable.
I posted my opinion here. For me it is enjoyable with proper dressing if there is no wind. The only problem is being unable to take off my gloves and use my cell phone while walking outside .

After -30*C, -20*C feels quite okay. At -30*C, gloves couldn't protect my hands at all. My hands were burning like they were on fire with gloves on. Yes! With gloves on!

Last edited by Nikkaluokta; Today at 09:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or