U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 02:04 PM

2,413 posts, read 306,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunch41 View Post
With no wind and full sun, -20C is cold but pleasant. With cloud or night, it's a bit colder, but still comfortable.

With strong winds, it's very cold, and not fun to be outside without proper clothes.
No -20C isn't pleasant, it's extreme, bitter cold. 11C is pleasant.

Old 02-24-2019, 02:10 PM

2,499 posts, read 1,340,903 times
We had last -20C high in January 2016. It was one day but the local media was already full of stories about new ice age, "has the global warming stopped or slowed?" and everything in that style. Of course, it is cold and is considered to be cold.

Are some people trying to make a face here that their european places are subtropical? If to look at Nino Bellov's map of 2012 cold spell posted in this thread one can see it was cold almost everywhere in Europe, even in those "eternally warm" places http://www.city-data.com/forum/54517315-post15.html

Old 02-24-2019, 02:20 PM

4,731 posts, read 3,027,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy1234 View Post
Rubbish, winter at the South Pole is suicidal.
Well, in 2018 Robert Schwarz just completed his 8th straight South Pole winterover, bringing his record number of South Pole winters to 14 total. Behind Robert on the list, Johan Booth has 12 winters, Steffen Richter has 9 winters, and Barry Horbal and Dana Hrubes have 7 each.

All have not killed themselves!

Winterover Statistics

Old 02-24-2019, 02:31 PM

2,413 posts, read 306,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Well, in 2018 Robert Schwarz just completed his 8th straight South Pole winterover, bringing his record number of South Pole winters to 14 total. Behind Robert on the list, Johan Booth has 12 winters, Steffen Richter has 9 winters, and Barry Horbal and Dana Hrubes have 7 each.

All have not killed themselves!

Winterover Statistics
I would commit suicide on day 1

Old 02-24-2019, 02:41 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,547,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Well, except of course that's a stunt (and one I wouldn't recommend to anyone with cardiovascular issues) and if they stayed out there for a whole lot longer they wouldn't have shrinkage they'd have icicles.

People in Northern Europe have long had a tradition of swimming in icy water in mid-winter. It's definitely possible to tolerate extreme cold for short time periods even without clothing especially when engaging in arduous physical activity that keeps the blood pumping.

That doesn't mean people should take the cold lightly. Eventually in the extreme cold, you're gonna have to sit down and rest - without shelter and cover you will not survive a night.
Yeah I agree with all of that. Nowhere did I suggest that you should take the cold lightly.

Regardless, people (particularly those who haven't experienced it) have a tendency to exaggerate the potency of subzero temps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Well, in 2018 Robert Schwarz just completed his 8th straight South Pole winterover, bringing his record number of South Pole winters to 14 total.
Talk about lucky. I'm extremely jealous

Old 02-24-2019, 03:13 PM

4,731 posts, read 3,027,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy1234 View Post
I would commit suicide on day 1
After passing the physical qualifications to winter at Pole, they give everyone a psych test (500 True/False questions, I think) and then you have to meet with a shrink for a one on one session. The joke is that those who actually fail the psych test are the ones who get to winterover!

I have heard of people not passing the psych test and being unable to deploy or getting the job down there, they obviously want somewhat "sane" people.

I did 2 winters at Palmer, but we were 64S, so not below the circle and never had complete darkness. We did have no direct sunlight for ~3 and a half weeks because of the glacier in the backyard was too high and the sun wouldn't hit our station, but we would go out in our zodiac boats to soak up some rays further out from station.

Old 02-24-2019, 04:42 PM

4,395 posts, read 3,742,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptunepenguins View Post
So I was having a talk with some guy that lives in a climate with an average January high of 26.4F/-3.1C and low of 6.2F/-14.3C. He also was in a climate that got colder than Thompson, Manitoba.

So he said that -4F/-20C as a high isn't cold. So what do you think of a -20C/-4F high. Is it actually cold? Or is it just meh? Or is it even very cold?

I have never met a person that has said -13F/-25C isn't cold, but I have heard a few that said it wasn't cold to -4F/-20C/

Well, it depends on the humidity & if there is a wind. This morning it was -4F at 8 AM when I went out to do chores. That is not a particulary cold morning for Montana. No wind with 60% humidity. The snow was crunchy & air felt brisk at that temp.

Old 02-24-2019, 07:22 PM

18,982 posts, read 17,283,825 times
I have only experienced -4F twice as lows and both times it felt frigid.

Old 02-24-2019, 08:28 PM

367 posts, read 99,839 times
Yeah after today I do think the thermometer only tells somewhat of the story. I went out at -18C/0F today dressed like how I would normally be at that temperature, only to have something like 30+ mph winds with gusts close to 40 mph or so. It felt pretty cold since I wasn't quite dressed for it as I forgot to check the wind chill

Normally it isn't really all that bad, but I wasn't quite dressed for the wind chill. Now it is about -24C/-11F with a wind chill of -37C/35F and I am dressed for it. Went out and only my nose felt cold.

Old 02-24-2019, 09:39 PM

780 posts, read 286,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
Like Shalop states, people will always be out no matter the temperature. On the -40.0C (actual temp) morning we had a few weeks ago, I saw a person out jogging at 7AM.
Exactly. In -25C I'm riding my bike, in windproof tights and an undershirt, polar fleece, and shell. My dog, a Lab, expected daily walks no matter the weather, just needed boots for below -25C because it bothered her paws.

My husband and daughter moved here with me after most of their lives on the west coast, and had never experienced the sort of temperatures we have here. It took a few months the first winter for them to get used to it. Now they're pretty relaxed about it all, and just layer up like the rest of us. Good mittens (not gloves) are vital at the lower temps.

Once it starts getting above -20C I'm out and about in a hoodie, mittens and boots. Having warm hands and feet makes a huge difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or