U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which feels more like the proper season?
March in Minneapolis feels like spring 7 58.33%
September in Dallas feels like fall 5 41.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 02:23 PM

5,833 posts, read 3,146,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I've never been to Dallas or Minneapolis, but the year I spent in Michigan, March was NOT spring. It was cold, grey, and still snowing through the beginning of April. Calling it spring was none other than wishful thinking.

I mean, spring is technically a period of time not necessarily weather. January in Miami is still "winter" even though the weather resembles late spring more than winter, by a long shot lol. But I get what you mean. There's still a WORLD of difference in average temperatures though. Believe me, those 40s are a lot warmer than they seem, especially after dealing with temps under 20 degrees for so long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 02:41 PM

10,155 posts, read 8,962,990 times
I selected Dallas because Minneapolis' subzero weather is in no way Spring, but there are times when it can be in the 70's or even 60's in Dallas in September if a rain system comes through and that feels like Fall. There was even a week of low 60's in Austin once. Minneapolis is in no way getting a week of 60's or 70's in March.

Old 03-04-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I selected Dallas because Minneapolis' subzero weather is in no way Spring, but there are times when it can be in the 70's or even 60's in Dallas in September if a rain system comes through and that feels like Fall. There was even a week of low 60's in Austin once. Minneapolis is in no way getting a week of 60's or 70's in March.

Subzero temps are rare in March, though. More so than triple digits in September in Dallas, I bet. Also...

Also, are you so sure about that?

https://www.wunderground.com/calenda...IC/date/2012-3

Old 03-05-2019, 07:04 PM

2,614 posts, read 1,100,709 times
Oh geez, everyone stop already with the 'Minneapolis is subarctic' comments Have you ever been to Minneapolis in the summer? It gets VERY warm there and is most definitely not subarctic in any sense of the word.

I would say that of the two, I agree more with March in Minneapolis being spring. Spring is a very transitional season and it can vary between snowstorms, mild weather, or fluctuate between the two--so IMO the spring Minneapolis gets pretty much defines spring for continental climates. March is one of my favorite months because you never know if you will wake up to snow, rain, or mild weather. My birthday's in March and I remember as a kid feeling sorry for the other kids who had summer birthdays and couldn't go skiing or sledding for their birthdays

September in Dallas is still characteristic of summer; I would say that October in Dallas would be more of a transition month due to a drop in the average temperature and the increase in average rainfall that month.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:23 PM

10,052 posts, read 11,495,595 times
Subarctic climates can get very hot in the summer too. Yakutsk has gotten into the 90s multiple times and its record high is over 100F. It is most solidly subarctic. Minneapolis also has colder winters than some subarctic climates like Tromsų and is even slightly colder than Anchorage, AK in January.
It is solidly continental though due to the length of the summer.

Old 03-06-2019, 06:52 AM

236 posts, read 35,758 times
I wouldn't get too hung up on MAM/SON being spring/autumn and JJA/DJF being summer/winter.

Eg quite a few flowers can come out in February in South West England and it feel quite spring like already. Peak spring flowering can easily happen in August around Cape Town.

I actually prefer to think of the year having two seasons around the around the longest and shortest days and spring and autumn just being transitions between them.

Old 03-06-2019, 07:11 AM

889 posts, read 130,772 times
Waaaaait a minute.

Both are going to feel like the correct season in each location, because when when you live there you're already adjusted to the seasons. So March will feel warmer than winter in Minneapolis and September cooler and autumnal in Dallas compared to summer.

Old 03-06-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman Resu VIII View Post
Waaaaait a minute.

Both are going to feel like the correct season in each location, because when when you live there you're already adjusted to the seasons. So March will feel warmer than winter in Minneapolis and September cooler and autumnal in Dallas compared to summer.

Yes, but I am asking on whether it feels like how the seasons are associated. It is correct what you're saying, but nothing about say September feels like fall in Miami, really, even according to Miami standards. September in Dallas is considerably though not greatly, cooler than summer, though. Even though to most places it still would feel just like a summer month.

Old 03-06-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisfbath View Post
I wouldn't get too hung up on MAM/SON being spring/autumn and JJA/DJF being summer/winter.

Eg quite a few flowers can come out in February in South West England and it feel quite spring like already. Peak spring flowering can easily happen in August around Cape Town.

I actually prefer to think of the year having two seasons around the around the longest and shortest days and spring and autumn just being transitions between them.

England is a peculiar climate for its latitude, though. And it doesn't mean that there's no actual springs and falls. Each season consists of 3 months and aren't inherently tied to weather, albeit correlated. Thats the best way to study climate as well, going by fixed numerical dates instead of when the crocuses bloom which can vary greatly each year.

Old 03-06-2019, 09:20 AM

17,125 posts, read 6,110,799 times
I voted September in Dallas being more characteristic of Fall than March in Minneapolis being more characteristic of Spring.

My reasoning was pretty logical.

Dallas sees days with highs in the 70s and/or lows in the 50s almost every September which they would never get from June-August. And Dallas has a summer minimum in rainfall, while September and October are two of their wettest months in contrast

In contrast, yes Minneapolis sees thaws in March, but due to the nature of Continental Climates, they see thaws from Dec-Feb as well, and still see snow and freezing cold in March. The only important thing that differs March from DJF in Minneapolis to me is the daylength and sun angle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or