U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which feels more like the proper season?
March in Minneapolis feels like spring 7 58.33%
September in Dallas feels like fall 5 41.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 10:08 AM

5,833 posts, read 3,144,082 times

Advertisements

Which feels more like the season it should be in:

March in Minneapolis feels like spring or September in Dallas feels like fall?

Both cities have harsh climates and March and September feel more like the previous season on an average year. But I'd say March in Minneapolis feels more like spring, than September in Dallas feels like fall. Yea, its below zero right now up here but its also only the first few days of March. A lot can change between now and the 31st. Last year we had a day as warm as the mid 50s and a pretty good thaw and greening grass. Hopefully it gets like that this year too. But I remember Septembers in north Texas that still reached the 100s so its not like its much better there, but I've also seen 50s down there in September so its not a real summer month, just like March isn't a winter month here.

Keep in mind that this is for "early" fall and spring. Not even up north is September guaranteed to be chilly and its usually still green, and even in the South, March isn't necessarily the peak month for blooming. Its more the transitional early parts where it still feels like the previous season sometimes, but you get somewhat subtle cues to tell you that its actually a new season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 11:38 AM

10,052 posts, read 11,495,595 times
Yeah I would agree with neither as well. March in Minneapolis is still winter to me and September in Dallas is still summer to me.

Old 03-04-2019, 12:24 PM

366 posts, read 99,303 times
In Houston, summer weather is still around through the entirety of September. Even in the first week or two of October can have mostly lows in the lower 70s and highs of around 30C/86F. It isn't until Halloween that hot weather fully goes away.

Right now, in Northern Minnesota, I think it is still pretty wintry right now. Although, I haven't seen the rest of March yet. The means still average below freezing, so it is still a cold month. I am not sure if Minneapolis still average below freezing means in March though.

Old 03-04-2019, 12:45 PM

6,012 posts, read 3,724,641 times
I've never been to Dallas or Minneapolis, but the year I spent in Michigan, March was NOT spring. It was cold, grey, and still snowing through the beginning of April. Calling it spring was none other than wishful thinking.

Last edited by saibot; 03-04-2019 at 01:26 PM..

Old 03-04-2019, 01:06 PM

2,474 posts, read 1,739,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Which feels more like the season it should be in:

March in Minneapolis feels like spring or September in Dallas feels like fall?

Both cities have harsh climates and March and September feel more like the previous season on an average year. But I'd say March in Minneapolis feels more like spring, than September in Dallas feels like fall. Yea, its below zero right now up here but its also only the first few days of March. A lot can change between now and the 31st. Last year we had a day as warm as the mid 50s and a pretty good thaw and greening grass. Hopefully it gets like that this year too. But I remember Septembers in north Texas that still reached the 100s so its not like its much better there, but I've also seen 50s down there in September so its not a real summer month, just like March isn't a winter month here.

Keep in mind that this is for "early" fall and spring. Not even up north is September guaranteed to be chilly and its usually still green, and even in the South, March isn't necessarily the peak month for blooming. Its more the transitional early parts where it still feels like the previous season sometimes, but you get somewhat subtle cues to tell you that its actually a new season.
Oh pulesase Dallas is a subtropical paradise and Minneapolis is continental to almost borderline subarctic. Lol jk, Dallas and Minneapolis are inverse climate zones though; Dallas has harsh summers, and Minneapolis has harsh winters.

Last edited by Isleofpalms85; 03-04-2019 at 01:15 PM..

Old 03-04-2019, 01:15 PM

366 posts, read 99,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
Oh pulesase Dallas is a subtropical paradise and Minneapolis is continental to almost borderline subarctic.
Lol, the summers are way too hot in Minneapolis to be subarctic. In order for a place with summers like that to be subarctic is to have close to -40 means or something in the winter. Though that is a different type of subarctic climate. Minneapolis only averages 3 months below freezing in their mean temperatures. July in Minneapolis is downright hot, and August isn't too far away. The other warm months are also capable of hot days too. I define a subarctic climate by its lack of warmth rather than how brutal their winters are.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oslo#Climate This climate is closer to being subarctic than Minneapolis even though Minneapolis has colder winter temperatures.

Old 03-04-2019, 02:00 PM

5,448 posts, read 3,786,533 times
Definitely Minneapolis. March in Minneapolis is thawing out, winter highs in Minneapolis average well below freezing. March can be very wintry in Minneapolis, but it can be just as easily relatively mild and springlike, and average high is 41 F / 5 C which feels far different from the 24 to 29 F / -4 to -1 C they average in the winter months.

Dallas averages a 96 F / 36 C high in July and August, which is very hot. The 89 F / 32 C high they average in September is cooler but still very much summer. They average 92 F / 33 C in June, so September's conditions are more akin to June than they are to May and it's 84 F / 29 C high. Also September is still relatively dry in Dallas, and August is their dryest month.

Even if you're just going mathematically, Minneapolis in March is ~13 F / 8 C warmer than February, and Dallas is only ~8 F / 4 C cooler in September than August, not even considering that February in Minneapolis is already warmer than January and August is Dallas's hottest month.

29 F / -2 C -> 41 F / 5 C high = cold to cool, significantly milder
96 F / 36 C -> 89 F / 32 C high = very hot to still pretty hot

Old 03-04-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Yeah I would agree with neither as well. March in Minneapolis is still winter to me and September in Dallas is still summer to me.

If you compare it to Seattle then yea, though bear in mind the average high in January is 20 degrees colder than in March in Minneapolis. That's a huge jump. It definitely feels like winter right now, though. Can't argue with that.

Old 03-04-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
Definitely Minneapolis. March in Minneapolis is thawing out, winter highs in Minneapolis average well below freezing. March can be very wintry in Minneapolis, but it can be just as easily relatively mild and springlike, and average high is 41 F / 5 C which feels far different from the 24 to 29 F / -4 to -1 C they average in the winter months.

Dallas averages a 96 F / 36 C high in July and August, which is very hot. The 89 F / 32 C high they average in September is cooler but still very much summer. They average 92 F / 33 C in June, so September's conditions are more akin to June than they are to May and it's 84 F / 29 C high. Also September is still relatively dry in Dallas, and August is their dryest month.

Even if you're just going mathematically, Minneapolis in March is ~13 F / 8 C warmer than February, and Dallas is only ~8 F / 4 C cooler in September than August, not even considering that February in Minneapolis is already warmer than January and August is Dallas's hottest month.

29 F / -2 C -> 41 F / 5 C high = cold to cool, significantly milder
96 F / 36 C -> 89 F / 32 C high = very hot to still pretty hot

Maybe if the heat peaked in July instead of August, Dallas might have milder Septembers. I think its the whole "recovery from summer" that makes the heat drag on so long. Denton, where I lived, is about 40 miles north and 4 degrees cooler on average in September, which certainly helps as there's a noticeable difference between mid and high 80s and even more so between mid and high 60s.

Old 03-04-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
Oh pulesase Dallas is a subtropical paradise and Minneapolis is continental to almost borderline subarctic. Lol jk, Dallas and Minneapolis are inverse climate zones though; Dallas has harsh summers, and Minneapolis has harsh winters.

I like Texas, even the weather outside of the brunt of summer, but to call it "subtropical paradise" ummm lol. And Minneapolis is in no way arctic or subarctic. Several nights below zero aren't enough to make it even close to sub-arctic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or