Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate away!
A 0 0%
B 2 13.33%
C 5 33.33%
D 2 13.33%
E 3 20.00%
F/F- 3 20.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 07:59 AM

2,258 posts, read 1,303,118 times

Advertisements

After a few serious ideas; let's go for a stupid idea! I basically thought of all of the stereotypes of a japanese/korean climate and turned the dials to 11.

Introducing, Shimogu. Siutated at 41.6N at 250m above sea level this city is the premier destination for access to the Kochyoto skiing mountains located to the south-east. This city is positioned 20km on the slopes of the Kochyoto foothills from the Sendai ocean, facing the furious fronts of snow in winter. Shimago is notorious for it's very heavy snows (that the city is used to and still manages well), very wet climate and short, hot humid summers. I personally give this an E, way too much snow, rain and cloud but at the very least it's interesting and summer would provide a welcome- yet very humid- respite from the overall cold.

Brought to you by the Shimogu Meteorological Department and Tourism Agency:

Winter (early december-late march): Brings the well-known snowfalls with 8 metres falls on average over just 91 days! Once or twice per winter month the constant yet light north-westerly wind will subside allowing temperatures to rise and snow to fall. But in general it's a very stable, cold winter with regular, heavy snowfall.

Spring (early april-late may): Spring is very wet but also the time for sunny days in the parks, rapidly rising temperatues and some excellent thunderstorms. It is also the most variable season with the Arctic high pressure system to the north having periods of ebb and flow as it disintegrates over the course of April and May.

Early Summer (june): a mild time of the year with plenty of rain, sunny days and has the lowest humidity for the year; still remember to bring a raincoat!

Summer (july-late september): a very hot, humid and wet season with near-daily thunderstorms and heavy rain; combined with reducing sunshine hours and occasional strong gusts results in a season not too friendly for tourists. The mountains to the south-east can be very pleasant with maximums in the high 20s even in august but aside from that the city shuts down much of it's tourism industry in summer.

Autumn (october-november): a very quick season of rapidly cooling temperatures, cloudy days, very wet spells and very stable temperatures by mid october.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 08:15 AM

1,503 posts, read 912,723 times
I give it a D - much too cold in winter and a bit too hot in Aug. Really dislike climates where average highs don't even get above freezing.

Old 03-07-2019, 12:39 PM

2,413 posts, read 1,038,417 times
E. Too hot in summer and too dull in winter.

Old 03-07-2019, 06:35 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
F. Total fail. Way too much snow and cold in winter.

Old 03-07-2019, 06:37 PM

5,195 posts, read 1,868,950 times
F.

Old 03-07-2019, 06:46 PM

895 posts, read 602,946 times
D+. Winters are too cold while summers are a bit too hot and humid. Winters are way too snowy but winter stability is good. It's also somewhat too cloudy and wet overall.

Old 03-08-2019, 08:33 AM

3,586 posts, read 4,970,437 times
C. The worst part is Jul - Sep. Rest of the year is not that bad.

Old 03-09-2019, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Yeung View Post
C. The worst part is Jul - Sep. Rest of the year is not that bad.
I'd say the opposite, for me the winter is awful and the summer OK, just getting a little too hot in August.

Old 03-11-2019, 11:05 PM

524 posts, read 484,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodleman556 View Post
After a few serious ideas; let's go for a stupid idea! I basically thought of all of the stereotypes of a japanese/korean climate and turned the dials to 11.

Introducing, Shimogu. Siutated at 41.6N at 250m above sea level this city is the premier destination for access to the Kochyoto skiing mountains located to the south-east. This city is positioned 20km on the slopes of the Kochyoto foothills from the Sendai ocean, facing the furious fronts of snow in winter. Shimago is notorious for it's very heavy snows (that the city is used to and still manages well), very wet climate and short, hot humid summers. I personally give this an E, way too much snow, rain and cloud but at the very least it's interesting and summer would provide a welcome- yet very humid- respite from the overall cold.

Brought to you by the Shimogu Meteorological Department and Tourism Agency:

Winter (early december-late march): Brings the well-known snowfalls with 8 metres falls on average over just 91 days! Once or twice per winter month the constant yet light north-westerly wind will subside allowing temperatures to rise and snow to fall. But in general it's a very stable, cold winter with regular, heavy snowfall.

Spring (early april-late may): Spring is very wet but also the time for sunny days in the parks, rapidly rising temperatues and some excellent thunderstorms. It is also the most variable season with the Arctic high pressure system to the north having periods of ebb and flow as it disintegrates over the course of April and May.

Early Summer (june): a mild time of the year with plenty of rain, sunny days and has the lowest humidity for the year; still remember to bring a raincoat!

Summer (july-late september): a very hot, humid and wet season with near-daily thunderstorms and heavy rain; combined with reducing sunshine hours and occasional strong gusts results in a season not too friendly for tourists. The mountains to the south-east can be very pleasant with maximums in the high 20s even in august but aside from that the city shuts down much of it's tourism industry in summer.

Autumn (october-november): a very quick season of rapidly cooling temperatures, cloudy days, very wet spells and very stable temperatures by mid october.

78% average RH at 19 C is not "low humidity" by any means lol

I wonder if there are any places on Earth that have an average monthly dew point equivalent to 86% RH at 29.8 C... Going by average dewpoints I'm pretty sure Shimogu's August is more oppressively humid than any place in today's climate.

Old 03-12-2019, 05:48 AM

I'd find the rapid seasonal changes quite unpleasant, you'd only just be starting to get used to sweltering heat when you'd be plunged into frigid winter conditions. But then my ideal climate would have average highs of about 24C in the coldest month and 29C in the hottest month, so something this seasonal is pretty far outside my preferences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather